• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Introduction

LeperColony

Traveller Card Game Dev Team
My name is Jeff, and I am the lead designer for Traveller: The Card Game. It's my great honor to announce this upcoming product here on the CotI boards.

As a longtime gamer and Traveller fan, I've often thought Marc Miller's universe would make the perfect setting for a CCG. Now, thanks to a license we only just recently finalized, we're getting a chance to bring our vision of trade and adventure in the Far Future to you!

I will be happy to field any inquiries, but I've also gone ahead and written up a brief FAQ (the "A" here being "anticipated" since, obviously, nobody has really had a chance to "ask" anything yet).

1) What is this?

Traveller: TCG is a customizable card game set in Marc Miller's Traveller universe. Players each assume command of their own small merchant vessel, in a bid to avoid bankruptcy and pay off their ship before any opponent.

2) How is the game played?

T: TCG is essentially a Victory Point race game, where each player tries to be the first to cross the finish line by assuming and resolving employment opportunities called Contracts. However, over the course of the game, each captain must meet an ever increasing array of expenses. Failure to meet an expense results in bankruptcy and defeat.

For those dastardly players who would rather steal a Credit than earn one, Piracy may be more appealing than mercantile activity.

The game has been designed as a multi-player experience best with two to four players. However, the underlying mechanics of the game allow for solo play, and single player game modes are envisioned and supported.

3) What is the game about?

Captains take charge of ships within the range of typical vessels from a Traveller RPG campaign. Our smallest ship is the 100 ton Scout. Our largest is the 800 ton Broadsword.

Each ship has its own capabilities and advantages, and our objective is to provide a different play experience for each of the iconic vessels.

4) When and how is this happening?

We're not exactly ready to release dates yet, but the answer is "soonish." As for how, we're going to attempt a crowdfunding campaign.

Right now we're in a pre-production phase. The game has been designed and internal playtesting has been completed, and external playtesting will continue throughout this process.

We have raised a budget with which we are securing the necessary materials and expertise to get us to a Kickstarter campaign. We have commissioned art for a small number of sample cards, tokens and graphic design layouts.

Our funding goals are realistic, thoroughly researched and, I believe, entirely obtainable. I'm familiar with Kickstarter horror stories. I myself have backed Robotech: Tactics, one of the great debacles in gaming history. At every single step of our proposal to Marc Miller, we have demonstrated an absolute commitment to respect Traveller and its supporters.

Our Kickstarter will be among the most transparent ever produced, and will include what we believe to be almost unprecedented, a public accounting of how pledged funds are spent.

5) Can I get involved?

Sure! If you'd like to contribute, we can find a way to use you! Going forward, we'll be looking for people willing to playtest the game.

Although as any CotI member knows, Traveller does not mean exactly the same thing to any two people, we are always happy to hear what it means to you, and what you'd like to see in a card game set in its universe.

If you have an interest in learning more about the mechanics, play style or other details, we'd love the chance to engage with you on those topics.

6) This idea sucks!

Well, can't win 'em all. But seriously, nothing has ever been successful without constructive criticism. We consider it an honor to engage with Traveller fans, even if they're not fans of what we're doing. If you have concerns, I want to hear them. If you have a problem, I'll try to address it. You may not agree with my response, but I'll do my best to see you get one.

Thanks!

Last edited:
last year I pointed out that the "traveller card game" thread had 116 views per day for years on end, and asked if anyone had considered a card game for traveller. no-one really said anything. some months ago I posted an initial set of ideas for an interactive card game, and despite quite a few views no-one said anything at all, zero comments, so I figured no-one was actually interested and discontinued work on it. so I'm wondering if you expect much in the way of funding?

last year I pointed out that the "traveller card game" thread had 116 views per day for years on end, and asked if anyone had considered a card game for traveller. no-one really said anything. some months ago I posted an initial set of ideas for an interactive card game, and despite quite a few views no-one said anything at all, zero comments, so I figured no-one was actually interested and discontinued work on it. so I'm wondering if you expect much in the way of funding?

I can't speak as to why other people may not have responded to your thread, but for my part, I didn't participate because I was negotiating with Marc Miller for a license at that time.

Whether or not the project receives the funding it needs will depend on our ability to demonstrate to both the Traveller and the Customizable Card Game communities our commitment towards, and ability to deliver a polished, high quality, fun product. That's on us.

But, before even approaching Marc for a license, we have thoroughly researched both Traveller's and CCGs generally (as well as, though less intensively, card games as a whole) performance in crowdfunding campaigns. Both the average and the modal Traveller crowdfunding results gets us where we aim to be. For CCGs generally it's a little more complicated, but still fit within our projections.

Our discussions with Marc have been intensive. In our efforts to procure the license, we have sent him detailed line item budgetary estimates that show our goals are achievable within the historical results of Traveller and CCG Kickstarters.

To us, the doomsday scenario is not failing to receive funding. If we launch our campaign and the market response is "meh" and a shrug, we're out the money we spent pre-launch and the time we put into it. That'll be unfortunate, to be sure.

But the doomsday scenario is we get funded and can't deliver. That's why we have been so thorough and careful in our budgeting and our assessment of the market.

Last edited:
well there's definitely train-loads of click-interest, so if you retain a very good artist and "deliver a polished, high quality" product I'm sure it will do well. especially if you can reach beyond the traveller fans and out into the larger ... whatever it's called, the "card community".

well there's definitely train-loads of click-interest, so if you retain a very good artist and "deliver a polished, high quality" product I'm sure it will do well. especially if you can reach beyond the traveller fans and out into the larger ... whatever it's called, the "card community".

For what it's worth, I read through your card game idea. It's very different from what we're doing, but (in my opinion, anyway) there was some good stuff there.

With ships as small as the scout ship, and as large as the merc cruiser, will there be contracts that go to their wheelhouse?

Small packages of high value items for the scout, mercenary jobs in small-scale conflicts for the merc cruiser?

This sounds interesting!

In your research about card games, did you come across one called "Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach" on Kickstarter? I pledged that, and recently received the game and would suggest that you look at what they did for good ideas. The quality of the cards, artwork, game pieces, etc it top notch and the game is fun as well.

My friends and I are big fans of tabletop games of all types, so I am interested in this, and I am sure that they would be willing to play test when you are ready to expand the testing. :)

With ships as small as the scout ship, and as large as the merc cruiser, will there be contracts that go to their wheelhouse?

Small packages of high value items for the scout, mercenary jobs in small-scale conflicts for the merc cruiser?

This answer will make more sense when we post a Weekly Wednesday showing contract resolution, but to try to address your question, it's "sorta."

The various ships do have different capabilities that govern which contracts they can natively complete, as well have unique ratings in the various ship based statistics in the game.

There is, naturally, a level of abstraction both regarding the ships' capabilities and contractual requirements. There are contracts both the Scout and the Mercenary Cruiser can complete. There are contracts that neither can complete.

VPs come from the contract card itself, so a contract that required a capability common to both the Scout and the Mercenary would reward both ships the same VPs. However, each ship may have bonuses or penalties unique to itself that incentivize going after one contract as opposed to another.

This sounds interesting!

In your research about card games, did you come across one called "Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach" on Kickstarter? I pledged that, and recently received the game and would suggest that you look at what they did for good ideas. The quality of the cards, artwork, game pieces, etc it top notch and the game is fun as well.

My friends and I are big fans of tabletop games of all types, so I am interested in this, and I am sure that they would be willing to play test when you are ready to expand the testing. :)

I didn't see Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach, but we were mostly focused on CCGs with existing IPs, like Shadowfist.

Sweet, Traveller Crack.

Well. I offer my services and hopefully the services of The Group That Breaks Stuff otherwise known as me and my gaming crew who take both joy and pride in finding the holes in gaming systems. :)

Also we will play just about any type of game so I am hoping this goes off.

And yes, want to playtest.

I didn't see Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach, but we were mostly focused on CCGs with existing IPs, like Shadowfist.

Probably because Pillars (which is based on the video game by the same name) is not a CCG. Nor is it a LCG (like AGoT). It is hard to describe to be honest. If you find the Kickstarter page I believe they still have the game play videos up there, that would probably work better than me trying to describe it. :)

But the point I was trying to make is that I feel they did a good job of running the Kickstarter, communicating with backers, and having stretch goals that made it a better game. They ranged from having additional cards to better quality pieces (tokens, soul gems, and even dice!).

But as I said in the other thread (and as Magnus said), if you need play testers I have a group of gamers (both Traveller and non-Traveller players) who love to try new games. :)

In the coming weeks we will be recruiting external playtesters. When we get to that point, we'll definitely let you know!

Yeah, lots! The Kickstarter page is the best place to track the progress. There are 23 updates in total, with the most recent having been posted earlier today.

Back