• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

ISO: Fractal Map -> Isocehedral Map Tool

kaladorn

SOC-14 1K
I've seen quite a few websites that produce lovely spinning globe world images using some list of params like hydrographics and temps and such.

I know of systems that, from Trav stats, generate a worldmap in the isocehedral format (but they're pretty un-attractive, if functional).

But does anyone know of (or is this another bit of software we need) to take a lovely fractal map and tear it off the globe and map it into isocehedral mapping?

The applications for Trav gaming would be obvious. My goal would be more attractive isocehedral maps (ie they'd have nice colours and shapes and look like the globe unravelled) that provide the game scaling and mapping with hexes that we're used to for traveller worlds.

Or, vice versa, a tool that will wrap the contents of an isocehedral map onto a globe and make it look good?

Or is this another one of those "Boy wouldn't it be neat!" projects no one has done yet?

I use fractal terrains from pro fantasy for my iso maps. It can also produce other map projections. It will also produce the images for rotating planets though these have to be integrated with another program (I use Corel Paint). It will also export worlds directly into Campaign Cartographer and can divide a world up into hundreds of sub maps.

Back