• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

J-o-T as a Personality Wafer

Hmm guess I’m positing more a static separately running sim of a person tailored to the JoT skill, it’s not overwriting/puppeteering but rather providing interactive guidance. It doesn’t control your golf swing but tells you how to.

To me this is a simpler task to achieve then have an all encompassing ability to do deep educational/problem solving/physical use overwrite, requiring the virtual person anyway plus all the virtual resourcing and calibration.

This sounds like the Expert Systems used by the Vilani, but internal instead of external.
Hmm guess I’m positing more a static separately running sim of a person tailored to the JoT skill, it’s not overwriting/puppeteering but rather providing interactive guidance. It doesn’t control your golf swing but tells you how to.

One of Marc's supershort stories (2p) has the ship's senior officers vetting a helm crewman for suitability to suicide against the enemy ship... He passes, so they scan him and put a copy in each missile... and the missiles are second guessing themselves all the way to the target... the copy I got was short whether or not they impacted...

To me this is a simpler task to achieve then have an all encompassing ability to do deep educational/problem solving/physical use overwrite, requiring the virtual person anyway plus all the virtual resourcing and calibration.
Not a bad idea, but I think the OTU (and derivative ATU) mechanism has the data wafer as something static; it's instructions/patterns imposed on the host brain. The "skill only" versions insert the skill into the still-functioning mind of the host; the "personality" versions temporarily suppress the host mind. It's the difference between installing an app, and replacing the OS and all apps.

The "cohabitation" concept would then be analogous to having a separate computer (with capabilities roughly equivalent to a human brain) networked with the host computer (host's brain). At typical Traveller TLs (up to F), this couldn't fit onto a small chip.

Not a bad idea, but I think the OTU (and derivative ATU) mechanism has the data wafer as something static; it's instructions/patterns imposed on the host brain. The "skill only" versions insert the skill into the still-functioning mind of the host; the "personality" versions temporarily suppress the host mind. It's the difference between installing an app, and replacing the OS and all apps.

The "cohabitation" concept would then be analogous to having a separate computer (with capabilities roughly equivalent to a human brain) networked with the host computer (host's brain). At typical Traveller TLs (up to F), this couldn't fit onto a small chip.
That’s the part I have a problem with- yes you are using host platforming of the wafer jacked human and thus the native hardware, but to me that’s MORE difficult a technology/task then simply running the copy of the person. If nothing else it represents massive miniaturization which is usually the hallmark of a mature technology.

That’s the part I have a problem with- yes you are using host platforming of the wafer jacked human and thus the native hardware, but to me that’s MORE difficult a technology/task then simply running the copy of the person. If nothing else it represents massive miniaturization which is usually the hallmark of a mature technology.
I think that's part of the OTU sensibility though: Replicating brains (as entities that are sophonts in their own right) is hard, in the same way computers are difficult/larger than you'd think they'd be in the real future.

Skill/identity read/write/storage is a lot easier than making hardware or wetware that'll run the recording. Thus, the path to implementation is to use existing wetware...

But other than for the narrative/RPG benefits, it seems a little unlikely to me that the imposed personality or skill would expire. However, it may be tied to the unstated OTU element that "souls" are real things that are tied to specific wetware (maybe hardware as well?) that can transcend death.

Actually, it's only unstated in the rules. AotI's Vilani afterlife is demonstrably real, in universe.

Last edited:
Back