• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General K'kree Diet

Timerover51

SOC-14 5K
Does anyone have any more information on what the K'kree eat? There is not a lot in their Alien module beyond their being very strict vegetartians and that they do grow food crops. My default is that their digestive systems, at least for the males, resemble that of horses, which means a grain and hay/roughage diet. The female digestive system must be different as the young are fed"partially-digested regurgitated food". That would indicate some form of secondary stomach to produce and retain the partially digested food. That would presumably resemble alfalfa prior to eating.

Any speculations out there would be appreciated.

I've honestly not thought of it since the K'Kree are more of a cameo IMTU. Of course, I run my setting in the Spinward Marches, so there is a reasonable explaination for how few K'Kree make it this far across the Imperium.

I also have to admit, I saw the name of this thread and said, "mmm, I can do some BBQ K'Kree!!"
(I must be under the manipulation of a hiver...)

I've honestly not thought of it since the K'Kree are more of a cameo IMTU. Of course, I run my setting in the Spinward Marches, so there is a reasonable explaination for how few K'Kree make it this far across the Imperium.

I also have to admit, I saw the name of this thread and said, "mmm, I can do some BBQ K'Kree!!"
(I must be under the manipulation of a hiver...)
Barbecuing K'kree is not the problem. I have plenty of ideas for recipes for that. Feeding a K'kree is the issue at hand. Assume a dinner for a K'kree merchant party looking to establish some trade profitable to both sides.

I would think sweet berries and fruits would be the dessert.

They might appreciate Vilani culinary expertise in fungi.

An interesting question comes to mind- is dairy a routine or special treat, or is it abhorrent? I think the interesting way to go is like pigs for humans- many consume dairy but it’s religiously prohibited for several sects.

I run my setting in the Spinward Marches
In which case, my little project of LBB S3 Spinward Marches (re)mapping in 1105 may be of interest to you, especially now that it is nearing completion (I'll probably finish up in the coming week).

Not intending to thread derail.
Feeding a K'kree is the issue at hand. Assume a dinner for a K'kree merchant party looking to establish some trade profitable to both sides.
In a word ... CEREAL.
If thinking about it in terms a programmer would use, you want a CEREAL KILLER app (or words to that effect). 🤔

A slightly longer explanation basically comes down to (boutique) cereal vegetable crops grown on an (explicitly) Agricultural world. Sourcing from an Agricultural world with Atmosphere: 6 and Hydrographics: 4 (the minimum for an Agricultural trade code) would be ideal because the K'Kree homeworld of Kirur has a UWP of B863ARK-F in 1116, according to Travellerwiki.

If the merchant party is dealing with humans, the vegetarian cereals would be served cooked to the human party, while the K'kree party would have the option of the same food being served cooked or uncooked (raw) at their own personal preference. That way, both parties are eating the same food and the only variation between them is how that food is prepared. If individual K'kree do not want to eat their share prepared the same way as the food served to the humans, they don't have to. As for whether the personal preferences of the K'kree party with respect to their food choice has "meaning" and bearing upon the commerce negotiations ... well ... that's a different question. 😉

shutterstock_1391146331-750x500.jpg

Assume a dinner for a K'kree merchant party looking to establish some trade profitable to both sides.

Another question is: do they really have dinner?

I mean, they come grom gazing ancestrors, and so they do not have fixed meals, but (as traveller encounterssection points) spend most day gazing and diggesting.

Do they have formalized meals, or a party for them would be more a matter of allowing them in an open space with offers in form of art (smell based included) and other entertainment, but allowing them to eat at their will without any ceremony on it?

An interesting question comes to mind- is dairy a routine or special treat, or is it abhorrent? I think the interesting way to go is like pigs for humans- many consume dairy but it’s religiously prohibited for several sects.

I don't have the exact reference in front of me (I think it was in one of the TNE:1248 books about the Lords of Thunder and their expansion), but it concerned a K'kree warrior under battle conditions coming upon a humanoid/mammal sophont "G'naak" female amidst the ruins nursing its offspring and being repulsed by the sight and eliminating them.

I don't have the exact reference in front of me (I think it was in one of the TNE:1248 books about the Lords of Thunder and their expansion), but it concerned a K'kree warrior under battle conditions coming upon a humanoid/mammal sophont "G'naak" female amidst the ruins nursing its offspring and being repulsed by the sight and eliminating them.
Bad horses. Reminds me of this character…

Nope!!!
Not ever!!!
Never!!!!!
Not a chance!!!!

IMO, the chemicals and other processes needed to turn what is a plant into something that looks like and has the texture of meat is exactly that level of processing that makes this "not food" and a "man-made byproduct"

It only stands, IMO, to show how desperate vegetarians will go to pretend they don't need actual meat products :D

that is, over course "My" personal opinion and, if you don't agree...I can suck it...LOL

Does anyone have any more information on what the K'kree eat? There is not a lot in their Alien module beyond their being very strict vegetartians and that they do grow food crops. My default is that their digestive systems, at least for the males, resemble that of horses, which means a grain and hay/roughage diet. The female digestive system must be different as the young are fed"partially-digested regurgitated food". That would indicate some form of secondary stomach to produce and retain the partially digested food. That would presumably resemble alfalfa prior to eating.

Any speculations out there would be appreciated.
Based upon the various discussions in the CT materials you are looking at an ungulate like cows. They have four stomachs. After an initial chewing, the "cud" is returned to the mouth to be further masticated, and then passes through the other three stomachs and an extended intestinal tract where many different kinds of bacteria digest the plant material.

The chewing the cud part of the cycle would be passed to the children. It is probable that both the males and females are capable of doing this. It is a cultural thing that only the females feed the children. Another reference for this would be the way birds feed their young. This also serves to pass the required intestinal flora from parent to children, to allow healthy guts. It may be that everyone in the family takes turns to feed a child. In the original form to give the child a healthy digestive system. In the current day this is part of the bonding process of being a family.

The stomach side of creatures like cows and horses are pretty small, and tend to empty quickly (20 to 30 minutes or so). They are eating all the time, though they can go for several hours without doing so. But that makes them hungry (and angry) pretty quickly. There wouldn't be "meals" as such, just an extended period of eating together.

I'm guessing that K'kree have really robust digestive systems. Which can adapt to many different ecosystems. While the K'kree spend a lot of time killing off the predators, but don't do much to replace the native plant life unless it's actively toxic to them. K'kree don't move much between worlds, so once adapted to a world, there isn't much need to adapt to another.

Nope!!!
Not ever!!!
Never!!!!!
Not a chance!!!!

IMO, the chemicals and other processes needed to turn what is a plant into something that looks like and has the texture of meat is exactly that level of processing that makes this "not food" and a "man-made byproduct"

It only stands, IMO, to show how desperate vegetarians will go to pretend they don't need actual meat products :D

that is, over course "My" personal opinion and, if you don't agree...I can suck it...LOL
temporary derailment: that may be true. I'm a half-assed vegetarian (eat fish & fowl, but not mammals. yeah, its odd but mostly ethics-driven). I don't eat those as, after 40 years or so of not eating most meats I don't want to eat something that tastes like meat. I'm good with black bean burgers and things that taste like what they are, not trying to taste like something it is not. I do not need nor want meat products. But I have known some militant vegetarians that the K'Kree would have gotten along with!

Anyway - K'Kree food. Probably, as mentioned, mostly grains and grasses. Curious about the potential for spices but based on their origins, they probably prefer bland and bulky food.

There is an interesting article in the Mongoose JTAS issue 7 about generational K'Kree ships that have farmlands. But nothing about diet that I recall:

Not all K’kree agree with the Steppelords of the Two Thousand Worlds. Some believe that survival is best assured by charging forever through the endless black sky, even if that requires changes from traditional practices. The Two Thousand Worlds considers these clans to be exiles, never to be thought of again; the ‘exiles’ consider the Two Thousand Worlds to be prey, waiting for G’naak to devour them. Several of these exiled clans live aboard vast starships, what some call the very definition of ‘World Class Ships’. Although these ships vary as much as any class of free traders, there are enough similarities, enough tried and true solutions, to group them into a single class – the Krungha.

Back