• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

List of ships across editions?

TheDark

SOC-11
I figure the answer is probably no, but I was curious if anyone had put together a list of which ships have official stats in which editions? For example, I know the Tigress has stats in Classic, GURPS, and Mongoose 1e, but I'm not sure about other editions. The various ships from Interstellar Wars I would expect are only statted for GURPS because that's the only book touching on that period in time. Is anyone aware of a list of which ships appear in which editions (preferably with the book they appear in, but even without that such a list would be helpful)?

The Wiki has much of that information. If you look up the specific ship you can find the list of sources (usually correct) at the bottom of the article. I'm assuming you want a complete list of canon published ships, with the complete list of publication places. I'm pretty sure such a list doesn't exist.

Yeah, I'm looking at putting together a list as part of a project, and was curious if anyone had tried something similar. While the wiki has good information, its organization isn't the best for what I need. I may just go through all the material I have access to and put together what I can. It won't strictly be limited to current canon, since I might include published material that was canon at one time and no longer is, but it would avoid having to filter out the fan-created material that has made it onto the wiki.

The Wiki has non-canon material, too. It's just called out as such.

You could separate by edition, canon, and fanon, but that's probably asking too much of the editors and contributors, like they do for Star Trek and Star Wars.

It's only for Classic Traveller, but I put together this list which you might find useful:

It's only for Classic Traveller, but I put together this list which you might find useful:

That is massively helpful, especially since it goes into the third party publications where my collection is rather scantier than with GDW publications.

The idea I have in my head is to eventually get to a position where someone can see that if they want a 2000 dTon J2 merchant ship, they'll see they could pull the Type TI from The Traveller Adventure or Rebellion Sourcebook to convert to the system of their choice. If you already know the TI exists, you can find that on the Wiki, but if you're trying to find a ship based on general characteristics it gets a bit harder.

Knowing where there are gaps in one edition's shipyard that might be filled in by another is something that's currently "tribal knowledge" instead of being documented, so I'll (probably extremely slowly) start piecing together some of that documentation. And just to set some sort of standard so that it's merely a Sisyphean task rather than entirely impossible, I plan to stick to "things that were published at a semi-pro or pro level" because heck, I know how many fanon ships I create, and tracking the number of ships all of Traveller fandom creates might break my computer.

The idea I have in my head is to eventually get to a position where someone can see that if they want a 2000 dTon J2 merchant ship, they'll see they could pull the Type TI from The Traveller Adventure or Rebellion Sourcebook to convert to the system of their choice. If you already know the TI exists, you can find that on the Wiki, but if you're trying to find a ship based on general characteristics it gets a bit harder.
Agree on the utility!

Disagree a little on the details -- edition/version changes can make some designs either obsolete or overpowered in other editions/versions, and some designs are artifacts of their rule system of origin that wouldn't be built that way in others.

Some of the ships in the wiki also have a metadata page associated. In some cases the detailed designs are included there. So, again, you can get individual ships set , but a comprehensive list is much more difficult.

Back