• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Lucan

It would depend if each personality is independent in each ship or if they are connected together via the mindscape into one meta-identity.

In the latter case Lucan would be able to synthesise all the information from each ship and direct each ship in much the same way we send commands to out fingers and toes...

What happens when different decisions or thought processes occur due to facing different situations and having thinking change?

There would have to be a sync-up process, or ultimately the Meta-Lucan could have a form of multiple personality disorder/psychosis, an 'internal' conflict only with meson guns.

It would depend if each personality is independent in each ship or if they are connected together via the mindscape into one meta-identity.

I re-read Sourcebook 1 last night. It's still not very clear. A brief summary is here:

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Black_Imperium#History_.26_Background

Lucan originally uploaded "copies of his personality" to 17 of his flagships. They used a "tame" Viral Entity to control the ships under their command. That wouldn't have required a Mindscape if the ships were in the same system. They could be controlled through radio. No mention is made of controlling ships in other systems/sectors.

Operations were slowed a couple of times while the flagships argued over who was going to do what. Elsewhere it's stated that the various Lucans fought over power. Apparently, the copies all thought that they were the real Lucan.

When Lucan's health started failing, he uploaded himself to the palace computer. He overwrote the copies in his flagships. This is where it's not too clear, but each Lucan seems to believe it is the "original."

The palace computer was destroyed by the "Grand Fleet of Humaniti" in 1218, so the "original" Lucan is gone. The Grand Fleet hunted the "Lucan Ships." They thought they got them all, but they missed at least one.

The Lucan Entity on INS Invincible commanded the "Last Stand" against the K'kree in 1247. (Avery turned and ran.) They never did find Invincible, so it's possible that Lucan is still out there somewhere.

So, it would seem that Lucan was not a meta-entity and a Mindscape wouldn't have necessarily been required.

OTOH, perhaps the Imperium had some sort of Top Secret Mindscape Project?

What happens when different decisions or thought processes occur due to facing different situations and having thinking change?

That was one of the things I was wondering about before I re-read Out of the Darkness.

There would have to be a sync-up process, or ultimately the Meta-Lucan could have a form of multiple personality disorder/psychosis, an 'internal' conflict only with meson guns.

Lucan was already nuts before he uploaded anything. :)

Looks like I'm gonna to have to re-read the rules on the Mindscape.

Marc's novel Agent of the Imperium shows that the Imperium had a nascent mindscape project they just didn't realise it :)

Bland was able to use the synchronisation of his various incarnations to pass information to his latest version, which would then do stuff based on previous info and then eventually upload all this too.

Not as fast as a mindscape but along the same lines.

Lucan was doing pretty much the same - he has downloaded his personality into every ship and while those ships are in the same system they can share the one identity.

Ships in different systems are effectively individuals but can download their memories into the group mindscape when they encounter each other.

Marc's novel Agent of the Imperium shows that the Imperium had a nascent mindscape project they just didn't realise it :)

I didn't think I'd be interested in Agent of the Imperium. I might be now.

Ships in different systems are effectively individuals but can download their memories into the group mindscape when they encounter each other.

That's where I'm having the problem. There'd almost have to be some sort of filtering mechanism in place. Otherwise, you wouldn't know which memory was "right" or which one was "real."

I was assuming that they'd remain separate entities. I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible for them to be re-integrated.

Can a human process memories of multiple events which happened at exactly the same time at different locations? Can a computer?

I don't think we're wired that way. We're used to linear time with events happening in sequence and not simultaneously. Maybe it would be easier for Lucan because he was already crazy. It might be even more illogical to a computer.

It's making me nuts just thinking about it :)

Back