• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Making Something with the tools that CT gives you...

Blade Runner is showing on Encore right now as I write this. I've grown to love this show. I saw the Final Cut recently, and I'm stunned at how beautiful that remastered show is still today, almost 30 years after it came out.

I'm one of the ones who prefer Dekard's voice over, though. And, I like the uplifting ending. I also like Roy calling Terrel "⌧er" instead of "father". Those are some of the things are changed or missing from the Final Cut, so from my point of view, it isn't the ultimate version.

I was thinking, though, that if one wanted to explore more of the BR universe, maybe play a short campaign, a GM wouldn't haven't to wait for an official Blade Runner rpg. He's got all the makings for a BR game right at his fingertips in the form of Classic Traveller.

This harkens back to the day before the Imperium, when Classic Traveller was just called Traveller. It was a game system designed to re-create a multitude of science fiction settings, as you know.

When you pick up CT, you're not locked into playing in the Third Imperium or a 3I variant.

Blade Runner wouldn't be a hard game to set-up at all. You've got all the ingredients already.

Characters. You'd have to create some careers for the players when doing chargen. You can find some police careers in various CT magazines, including the JTAS. You can also follow the rules in JTAS and make up your own Blade Runner career. It shouldn't be too hard. Alter one of the existing careers, or, simply go through the movie and the CT skill list, picking which skills a Blade Runner are likely to have. Construct a career.

Deckard uses Streetwise many times during his investigations in China Town. He uses Computer skill when using the machine in his apartment to examine the picture that he took from Leon's place. He uses air/raft skill when piloting the skimmers. He uses Linguistics when understanding Gaff speak. And, of course, he uses that bad assed pistol he has that blows big holes in things its bullets strike. That's a weapon skill, of course.

And, we can assume that Deckard has some skill that we may not see used in the film. Maybe he knows a little first aid (Medic). Working as a detective before becoming a Blade Runner, he's probably got some skill in Administration. Go through the movie and look at the CT skill list, picking what is logical.

Also, don't just look at the Deckard character. Deckard is just one individual among many. Take a look at Holden, Gaff and Bryant and the other characters. Bryant, the police captain, must have Admin skill. Gaff may even have some Emissary type skill--so don't forget to look at the CT Alien skills, too. If Gaff doesn't use Emissary, then he might be using Carousing.

Rules. For the most part, you'll use existing Classic Traveller rules without change. But, the Blade Runner universe may require a particular house rule here or there. It may require some universe-logic adjustments.

An example of a rule change might come in using Book 8 - Robots to create the Replicants. That tech (to create the Replicants) in original Traveller would be quite high. Maybe TL 16. Looking at the movie, though, we can see that the TL is lower than that. So, the GM would have to make an (easy) adjustment.

Read the From The Management section of JTAS #2. There, LKW shows GMs how to use existing Traveller rules to create new ones. The example he gives shows how to extrapolate details from a laser carbine, making a laser pistol.

Universe-logic adjustments may come in the form of specific Traveller tech or environment. The Jump Drive may not be possible in the BR universe (we don't know from the story). Aliens don't seem to be existent in the BR universe.

The GM will have to deal with these as they come up. Also note that, a good Blade Runner story may involve growing the universe. Maybe, as the campaign begins, the Jump Drive has been invented and man is starting to explore outside our solar system. Or, maybe alien contact has been made, leading to the creation of vast armies of Replicant soldiers, all with longer life spans--giving the Blade Runners much more work (and adventure to get into) as some of those Replicant soldiers go rogue.

GMs should always keep their games interesting and exciting. Don't be afraid to think outside of the box. The unexpected is often very entertaining.

Environment. The Striker vehicle design system can easily replicate (pardon the pun) the vehicles we see in Blade Runner. If you want to set your Blade Runner game offworld, maybe on the moon or Mars, you might want to delve more into traditional Traveller fare. As mentioned in the last section, the GM will have to determine is the BR universe has invented artificial gravity. If it hasn't, then the GM needs to keep that in mind when designing these environments (probably with the help of Book 6: Scouts).

Story. The sky is the limit. What, for me, makes the BR universe so intriguing is that there is so much unexplored. What's it like offworld? One could take a look at some Traveller 2300 supplements, or High Colonies (an out of print game set in the solar system without any type of drive that would easily take people to other stars), and draw ideas from there.

Plus, there are some Blade Runner novels (3 of them by K.W. Jeter) and several comics that can be perused and sifted through.

If you want to keep with the noir-ish detective type story evident in the movie, then simply find an old noir-ish pulp fiction novel and "update" it for use in the future BR age.

I've always thought of making a BR story where the players are Blade Runners sent after Deckard and Rachael after the movie ends. I like the moral question that will pose itself if the players are sympathetic with Deckard and his love Rachael. Deckard would be an unknown quality in the story--he might be an enemy of the PCs if they end up killing Rachel. He could be an ally if he PCs decide to turn against the law and help Deckard.

I thought it might be neat to reveal to one player, secretly, that he has started to suspect that he's a Replicant. He doesn't know. I thought that this might be particularly effective if he player was extremely gung-ho about capturing Deckard and killing Rachael. What a reversal.

And...I also thought that I'd screw with that player's head, not revealing the truth. Maybe he's starting to think he's a Replicant, but he really is human! Maybe it's his conscience getting to him!

A great game can be had with this.

Don't forget that there are other types of characters in the BR universe besides Blade Runners. Traditional military types (soldiers, marines, naval men) could be the focus of the story.

Heck, a GM could make everyone roll up characters using the Other career. Off the top of my head, maybe a character is operating an all-night news stand. It's a quiet night. And then, in the middle of the street, two men burst out into the streetlight and rain, busting on each other, one screaming, "Hey! Help me! He's a Replicant!".

The PC can decide to help or watch. Either way, a gun goes off. One of them drops. The one still standing turns to the PC, holding his gut, bleeding, saying, "Help me."

And, even though the one standing says that the other is the Replicant, how can the PC know? That's how the adventure would begin. Does the PC help him?

And, from the GM's point of view, is the wounded person a Replicant or a Blade Runner? Either way, the story will lead in an interesting direction.

The GM can also combine universes. I've always thought that the universes of the movies Blade Runner, Outland, and Alien could all be the same. With a few tweaks, here and there, the GM is hardly likely to run out of story ideas. Don't forget to look at other science fiction game, too. You can adapt them to the BR universe, or you can expand the BR universe using the ideas in those games. For example, expand BR with some cyberpunk. It might fight.

Or, how about other Philip K. Dick stories? Like taking Minority Report and setting it in the Blade Runner universe? The PCs are thought cops, and all of a sudden, we're bringing in the Traveller psionics rules.

The point is: There's lots of ammo to make a very interesting story and game--even a campaign--with just the CT tools that are provided.

Go ahead and drop the Blade Runner idea all together and change over the the Battlestar Galactica universe. Taking the same ideas I detail above, it can be done.

Could be done as you say. Some source indicate Deckard could be a replicant himself & not know it.

I've got the art book from that - there are some really cool images that would work well in a Traveller game.

You know, this brings up memories! In 87, 88 I was creating a campaign just based on Earth. It was gritty and pessimistic, it was stitched together from my favourite films, seamlessly creating a visual background: Bladerunner, Alien, Aliens, Escape from New York, Soylent Green, Mad Max, Outland and a few others. It was R Talsorian's Cyberpunk, before it came out (and without the neat cyberdecks and cybernetics). I'd not read Neuromancer at this time ... most of my SF was from movies.

So I had my dystopian Earth Traveller game, as you suggested, using the police career from JTAS. I remember stating out LeeVan Cleef's character from Escape from NY, anddrawing pictures of AFVs that resembled the 'Pigs' the British ARmy were using in Northern Ireland for riot control.

As you can imagine,when Cyberpunk came out I abandoned Traveller for a decade.

BTW: Roy definately mentions the 'shoulder of Orion' which I take to be Bellatrix or Betelgeuse. Always thought the movie meant extra-solar colonies ...

Last edited:
Replicants were not mechanical robots.

They were beyond mechanics in the ordinary sense though no less an engineered person and persona. dna played a major part in the story.

I love the original book and the film based upon it. In the book Deckard's wife is a depressive who refuses to use her Penfield Mood Organ.

Could be done as you say. Some source indicate Deckard could be a replicant himself & not know it.

Indeed, this interpretation has become canonical.

But it has still always smelled like a RetCon to me -- especially given the acknowledged continuity errors present in the theatrical cut.

CP2013 was pubblished in 1988. Been a 'punk GM ever since, a 2020 campaign ended the week before my current MGT camapign started.

As to to the OP's point, dive in and wring out the story you want. I saved my lupins for the collector box set of Blade Runner. I was flat blown away by the movie when it came out. I ran a couple games inspired by it using various systems(Ninjas and SuperSpies, Gurps, Mechwarrior, Villan and Vigilantes, Renagade Legion, etc.) I even did a version of it using Twilight 2000.

Side note, High Colonies has some very cool ideas in it, we played it a few times in my group. I also had the distinct impression of intersteller travel and that the off world colonies weren't on the Moon and Mars.

Thanks, Supp4, for the BR ideas! I've been working to adapt CT for three things: vintage SciFi (ERB), retro (Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon), and lastly, Blade Runner. If anyone has any more great ideas for BR, lay 'em on me! ;)

I've also taken the Bounty Hunter career article in WD70 and tinkered with it for my BR campaign Do Bounty Hunters Dream of Clockwork Owls?, based both on the film and the PKD novel.

Last edited:
You know, this brings up memories!

And as I wrote it as well...

BTW: Roy definitely mentions the 'shoulder of Orion' which I take to be Bellatrix or Betelgeuse. Always thought the movie meant extra-solar colonies ...

This, I know, but it's still not clear whether we're talking about intra- or extra- solar system. It's definitely off world. Signs in the movie speak of off-world travel. In the book, some people were in-eligible for off world travel.

But, "attack ships off the shoulder of Orion" and the "C-Beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate" could refer to almost anything. If you heard "Tranquility Base", you might think it a space station instead of a spot on the moon. Likewise, the "Shoulder of Orion" could be a location...just about anywhere, in-system, or out. It could be a mountain formation on Mars, for example. The attack ships could be small fighters, almost like spinners (or g-carriers) flying in the slight atmosphere of the planet. The Tannhauser Gate? Same thing. Who knows where these locations are.

So, whether man in the BR universe has traveled to extra-solar locations rests on interpretation only.

Indeed, this interpretation has become canonical.

Actually, it hasn't. I'm a bit of a defacto BR enthusiast. I've seen most of the versions (I think there are 5), and I've read Paul Sammon's book on the making of the movie (damn good book, btw, if you like books about films being made).

It's all just speculation--Deckard being a Replicant. Ridley Scott toyed with the idea while making the movie but ultimately dropped the idea.

In Scott's commentary on the Final Cut version (the most recent version), he says the same thing--that the idea was proposed but rejected.

I will say, though, that the Final Cut does have the scene where Dekard's eyes glow shiny, as they do for Replicants in the movie. And, Dekard does dream of the unicorn--finding Gaff's origami unicorn at the end of the film. I think Scott is just trying to screw with our heads, though.

Replicants were not mechanical robots.

They were beyond mechanics in the ordinary sense though no less an engineered person and persona. dna played a major part in the story.

This is true. It also falls under the "Rules" section of the post I wrote above where I speak of logic and rule changes that may need to be made for the BR universe.

If I were to create Replicant for a game using CT rules, I'd start with the pseudo-biological rules in Book 8 - Robots. But, I'd change them a bit since a Replicant is a fully bilogical being.

Then, I'd consider what LKW said in JTAS #2--about how to extrapolate from Traveller the things that you need to tell your story.

Finally, I'd check to see if there are any extended, high tech Book 8 rules that ever showed up in any of the magazines. I don't remember any, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. I do remember some articles on clones and such--so, that'd be a good read before I made any decisions about Replicants in the game.

In the end, what I'd prolly do is just play it simple. I'd consider Replicants to be pseudo-characters. I might assign some stats and skills to them, or I might even create a Replicant career, rolling chargen as normal. Most likely, though, I'd just create some stats and skills for the Replicants--or, I'd create some regular Traveller characters and then modify the stats to make them Replicants.

If you think about it, maybe the Animal design system is better suited to creating Replicants. It could be used with a change here or there.

Point being: There's several ways to create Replicants for your Classic Traveller/Blade Runner game.

This is where the original robots article in JTAS is superior to LBB8. It clearly defines the various types of artificial sophont - BR replicants by Traveller definitions are androids, synthetic biological constructs.

I wouldn't bother with LBB8 at all to design them, I'd just pick physical and mental characteristics depending on the model and asign them a skill package also defined by their model and role.

FYI Spacemaster (using the ICE rules) included rules for replicant creation.

Just a thought. But TransHumanSpace will do service just as easily, if you have it.

This is where the original robots article in JTAS is superior to LBB8. It clearly defines the various types of artificial sophont - BR replicants by Traveller definitions are androids, synthetic biological constructs.

I wouldn't bother with LBB8 at all to design them, I'd just pick physical and mental characteristics depending on the model and asign them a skill package also defined by their model and role.

This is the way I would go as well. The replicants may be bio-machines, but from what's seen in the film, they are genetically engineered humans. Human eyes, human brain, specially engineered, but still enhanced humans (with a built in genetic time bomb that goes off in 4 years). At least that's my take.

This is the way I would go as well. The replicants may be bio-machines, but from what's seen in the film, they are genetically engineered humans. Human eyes, human brain, specially engineered, but still enhanced humans (with a built in genetic time bomb that goes off in 4 years). At least that's my take.
If you're unable to tell them apart from humans with a simple genetic analysis, then they are human by any definition I believe in. Of course, I'm unable to fathom why anyone would build replicants that can't be detected with a simple test and how you can build in a genetic time bomb that cannot be detected.

That's a major problem I have with the new Battlestar Galactica, BTW. If you can't detect the difference between Cylons and humans, then the Cylons ARE human. And how can the Cylons have that weird glowing effect and not be easily detectable as different?

Hans

I have some pretty extensive rules for biologic androids (based on either animal or humanoid forms) that I found somewhere and expanded on a lot. It might have come from some White Dwarf or something.

Anyway when I first got CT in 76 I added some rules for androids similar to replicants based on a story by Gene Wolf called The HORARs of War. Great story so I encorporated the idea that condemmed criminals could opt for HORAR service, and fight alongside actual HORAR soldiers. Animal-based androids included scoutcats for the Scout service and neopards for the Marine Recon units. They talked after a fashion, and the neopards have manipulative front paws.

ANyway, after Blade Runner I expanded android use a lot, and then made it illegal (akin to slavery) IMTU within the Terran Imperial borders, but not outside the borders. Adding organlegging to the mix made for some interesting plots and adventures. Also, the rules I had were expanded to include cybernetic and biologic enhancement for PC's after a lot of reading stories like Burning Chrome and such.

HORARs still exist for suicide type missions. Replicants are traded around outside Imperial space and there is a huge underground trade in sex slaves to order and gladiatorial fighting, along with the organlegging associated with it all.

One world in particular, Gehenna, looks like every outdoor scene in Blade Runner (the climate is overall wet, dense atmosphere, muggy, and industrially tainted) and is the place to go for bio-enhancement (like a titanium/ceramic combat skeletal enhancement, subcutaneous armor, muscle grafts, etc.), replicant slaves, and just about every vice known to man or otherwise. Go down the wrong alley and you might find yourself sliced up by organlegging freelancers who carry refrigeration backpacks for hauling the goods. The police stations have readerboards in the lobby with the day's prices (and some specials) for investigating crimes, and anyone who can afford it has a bodyguard and lives in a protected enclave.

The replicants are humans except for being "vat" grown, their false memories, and the terminator gene tampering. As if that isn't bad enough!
If you go by the original book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick you may have a different idea about it all.
Detecting dna altered androids only takes a dna test. (so what if the test takes 28 days, or whatever, the renegade replicants are terrorists right?) Both the original book the film was based on and the film itself were made before the politically controversial development of and proliferation of mass dna sampling of the public currently being pushed by control freaks.
Of course the original story is about underclass, racism, and just how far capitalism will go for a fast buck. In the book and the film that equates to a dying Earth and the madness of Martian life for humans.

What is missing in the film are several interesting elements one of which is a religion called Mercerism (spelling?) experienced supposedly by millions in virtual reality booths where the person involved can actually be injured in the v.r. and step out of the booth with actual sustained injuries! Does that sound familiar?

Not mechanical robots. Manufactured human slaves.

Now where's my Penfield Mood Organ?

Back