• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mayday Vassal module 2.1

Not rules, VASSAL is a java based virtual playing board that people have used to play many traditional boardgames. It doesn't have an AI to play against but you can configure lots of features to enhance a game. Someone with Java programming experience can make a lot of cool features. Through the VASSAL server you can play against people online.

Here is a picture of the prior module, if I have time later I'll post a picture of this newer module.

Ss-mayday.jpg

I like the colors he is using on this new version. Here I have setup two spaceships and their appropriate counters, past - present - future. If you right click on a counter you can setup the ID also on the present counter you can check the attributes which pops up as a floating window. Here you can set what programs are available and running, number of missiles etc. I've also used a range finding tool to tell me easily the distance between the two ships. Red is usually identified as Intruder, Blue as Native.

mayday01.jpg

Last edited:
Vassal Capabilities

I have a couple of quick questions regarding Vassal modules. I apologize if this is a newbie question, but ...

1. Can the Vassal modules be used solo?
2. Are there any special design considerations for doing so?
3. Can a game be saved in-progress and returned to?
4. How mobile-user friendly is Vassal (for a user that wants to play on a mobile device)?

I am thinking about this in terms of

A. a user that wants to play both sides of a multi-player game
B. something specifically designed for a single player (e.g. a character creation program or a mini-RPG adventure)
C. a way to attract a new generation of Traveller-philes via their mobile devices

Cheers,

Baron Ovka

I've really only dappled in VASSAL and never played a full game myself or online against anyone.
There is a pretty good community though and they have a VASSAL Forum where I think you can find a lot of answers to your questions.

1. Can the Vassal modules be used solo? Yes, but each module is different depending on the game and the designer how it works
2. Are there any special design considerations for doing so? Each module is different
3. Can a game be saved in-progress and returned to? Yes I believe so, again each module is different
4. How mobile-user friendly is Vassal (for a user that wants to play on a mobile device)? Difficult question with a vague answer. People have really wanted VASSAL for all kinds of mobile devices, it is dependent on the Java engine and works best on Windows or Mac. Many people have tried it using touch screens but the GUI hasn't been developed for it. The program is actually a labor of love by a few programmers and not a commercial product. People are hoping at same point it can be used with mobile devices.

I am thinking about this in terms of

A. a user that wants to play both sides of a multi-player game You should be able to do this
B. something specifically designed for a single player (e.g. a character creation program or a mini-RPG adventure) That would probably require some Java programming but I really don't know enough about VASSAL to tell you.
C. a way to attract a new generation of Traveller-philes via their mobile devices Sounds fun :)

Back