• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mayday vs High Guard

Uncle Bob

SOC-14 1K
No, I'm not in trouble. I'm talking about the game. It made vector movement understandable, and almost book-keeping free (unlike Book 2). It was not good for use during roll playing, though, especially if the characters were very savvy and the player's weren't.

I always thought it would be neat as a straight wargame, with 2-10 ships on a side, especially with High Guard weapons. Yeah, I know the 2 dimensional abstraction breaks down when you have a third ship, but I thought it would still be usable, and test some of the High Guard abstractions.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
No, I'm not in trouble. I'm talking about the game. It made vector movement understandable, and almost book-keeping free (unlike Book 2). It was not good for use during roll playing, though, especially if the characters were very savvy and the player's weren't.

I always thought it would be neat as a straight wargame, with 2-10 ships on a side, especially with High Guard weapons. Yeah, I know the 2 dimensional abstraction breaks down when you have a third ship, but I thought it would still be usable, and test some of the High Guard abstractions.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since Mayday IS Book2, except for the counters and map... why wouldn't it work well in play (I found it did... it also pulled some people into traveller from playing it). HG had more problems for me in roleplaying.

------------------
-aramis
========================================
Smith & Wesson:
The Original Point and Click interface!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aramis:
Since Mayday IS Book2, except for the counters and map... why wouldn't it work well in play (I found it did... it also pulled some people into traveller from playing it). HG had more problems for me in roleplaying.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the difference between pencil and paper calculating vectors and using past-present-future counters on a hex map was inspired. It was no big deal to fudge the Highguard weapons in, but I would have liked something canonical.

I envy you your players. All to often ours weren't wargamers to start with, and would get bored and do dumb things if I tried to force them to play Mayday. Also, the Character having Pilot-3 doesn't mean the player will start deccellerating in time.

Although, I have sometimes thought that a character shouldn't be permitted to claim piloting or ships tactics skills unless the player had at least lost a game of mayday for each level.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Uncle Bob (edited 14 May 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
Well, the difference between pencil and paper calculating vectors and using past-present-future counters on a hex map was inspired. It was no big deal to fudge the Highguard weapons in, but I would have liked something canonical.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So would I. And there is one: MT. (But you have to hybridize Mayday and MT...
biggrin.gif
)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
I envy you your players. All to often ours weren't wargamers to start with, and would get bored and do dumb things if I tried to force them to play Mayday. Also, the Character having Pilot-3 doesn't mean the player will start deccellerating in time.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what a Routine Pilot & Edu roll is for...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Although, I have sometimes thought that a character shouldn't be permitted to claim piloting or ships tactics skills unless the player had at least lost a game of mayday for each level.
wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an idea!

------------------
-aramis
=============================================
Smith & Wesson: The Original Point and Click interface!

Back