• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mongoose - traveller returns

I'm not that impressed by the playtest documents, primarily because (1.) they didn't separate bronze and iron ages!!!! and (2.) because the CharGen seems a bit too complex. However, I plan to buy the core rules book and see how it plays out then, so I can give it a proper opinion.

But I would like to say that, judging by the response they've had and given on the MGP forums, they actually do want to do it (in their own view of) right.

I'm not that impressed by the playtest documents, primarily because .......... the CharGen seems a bit too complex.

I think one of the most-liked elements over on the Mongoose forums has been the CharGen. I guess it's personal opinion. I actually like my CharGen more complex then Mongoose's.

Actually chargen is not as complex as it first looks. The checklist is over fiddly, is all.

Should only be 3 rolls per term, on the whole.

btw, if you do homeworld/background skills after mustering out it makes a bit more sense.

I'm not that impressed by the playtest documents, primarily because (1.) they didn't separate bronze and iron ages!!!!

What is the tech difference between the Bronze Age and the Iron Age?
(other than 'bronze' and 'iron', of course).

What is the tech difference between the Bronze Age and the Iron Age?
(other than 'bronze' and 'iron', of course).

Being somewhat of a history buff (just a buff, I don't claim any expertise), I had wondered the same, but had not commented due to fear of starting an argument or disrailing this thread. Sorry if my post starts either, not my intention.

In my personal opinion only, I don't think there is a large difference between the two in Traveller 'tech level' terms. An example of each is ancient Greece (bronze) and the Roman Empire (iron). They are two of the most successful civilizaitons of their ages. Note: If you don't consider ancient Greece old enough, ancient Egypt definitely is and the arguments below can almost word for word be used with Egypt in place of Greece.

If you compare transportation systems, instruments of war, communications, medicine, etc, in my mind I can't think of much of a difference. Both used horses. Both used the phalanx in warfare. Both had scholars of science, possibly Greece more-so (but I think most of these scholars came much later, perhaps not considered the bronze age). Both had water-borne ships of similar abilities. The Roman Empire never developed a true ocean-going vessel that I know of. The only Roman advantages I can think of off the top of my head are architectural (Rome had the arch and aquaducts, I don't think Greece did), and siege engines (Rome's war machine developed several new weapons of war). I think both of these advantages were possible by the early Greek bronze-age technologies and tools. They just never thought of them.

Not a large amount of difference in my opinion. I looked at the detailed technology charts included in MT Referee's Companion (pages 28-29). Of 22 examples listed for TL 1, I could only imagine 2 or 3 of them that were available to the Roman Empire, but not Greece (or ancient Egypt).

Let's compare Stone Age to Bronze/Iron Age. I can think of many things the Stone Age people didn't have: horse-riding, large-scale farming, swords, catapults, sea-going vessels, large settlements, the wheel, etc. Some big technology differences there.

Perhaps this is what was being considered by the game-developers when these tech levels were laid down. While Earth-historians have labeled these ages as vastly different, they were speaking of not just technology, but culture and a time-period.

Last edited:
Mongoose Traveller

I was lucky enough to meet Gareth Hanrahan at Conpulsion (Edinburgh University Gaming club's annual show last weekend) he actually let me get my grubby mitts on his HUGE Traveller working folder - and it looked neat!!

He was a really nice guy and he is honestly striving to do the best job he can
he is definetly working within traditional Traveller boundaries and he has even been in communication with Marc Miller, how good is that

I'm personally looking forward to Mongoose Traveller in a big way

Alan Hume

Mongoose Traveller

Bugger, you know I think I missed a trick there

Darn, it was a hefty folder though, I may have done
my back in making my escape

Thanks for the welcome, really awesome site

Thanks, but its really just me and like 3 other guys posting under lots of screennames. Hopefully with a 5th person on board we can look even more active, attract more people and eventually act like a real site.

He was a really nice guy and he is honestly striving to do the best job he can
he is definetly working within traditional Traveller boundaries and he has even been in communication with Marc Miller, how good is that

Not indicative of anything quality-wise... Marc's reputation for quality has been severely damaged of late (mostly by his CCG attempt and by T4)... could be good or bad

Many people feel Marc is out of touch with the fan base (myself included); being in touch with Marc is thus no assurance of anything.

Now, having emailed back and forth a bit, Gareth does seem quite reasonable. I do like what I've seen, except the specific details of the statistics of the draft task system.

I look forward to the SRD, as well... for while what I may produce under it won't be Traveller, it will be a trav-compatible, and if my players Like it, I may send it out for the rest of the world. Oh, how I love open source.

Having seen the three preview documents that are over on the Mongoose board, I was also impressed by how much the criticism from the playtesters was taken to heart. The Timing/Effect thing was generally not liked and even though Mongoose people kept saying how cool it was, it seems to have been removed as a core rule. Lots of other examples like that seem to exist as well.

I look forward to the final document. While it may not be perfect, it is certainly something that can be built on and grown for NEW GAMERS to start playing Traveller.

I recently convinced my two sons and a couple of their friends to try Traveller and rather than go to CT, I am going to use Mongoose's material (set in the TNE 1248 setting). Since I have to teach them the system from scratch, I decided to go with the newest system and the one that will be supported going forward.

Saw that too did you ;)

When I read it I was afraid they had got it right and we could look forward to :rolleyes: a book of faceless, soulless, randomly generated, page after page after page, of "UPP : X-terms Service" or whatever :smirk:
Actually, it is called 760 Patrons, because it, apparently, has 760 Patrons in it... they are making them full-sized books, after all....

And, having received my copy of 760 Patrons, I can confirm that the book is *not* a list of 760 UPPs and skills. It's a very useful and a very well put together book, IMO.

Last edited:
It is an extremely useful book but they ain't patrons, at least not compared to the original 76 Patrons.

It is much more like 760 NPC encounters. UPPs and skills might have helped it on but it's cool as it stands.

I bought the Mongoose Traveller book as soon as it came out, and spent a few hours every day since then going over it in minute detail.

I like it.

Character development seems more balanced between professions, and the number of professions seems to cover more possibilities than CT. Although there is some obvious similarity to GURPS Traveller's character professions, Mongoose's system is still dominated by Classic Traveller's conventions.

But someone needs to issue an errata page (has this already been posted?). The percentage values given for ship's shares need to be re-calculated, and some of the descriptions and methods seem self-contradictory, but maybe they're not.

I've already generated two characters: A somewhat down-on-his-luck former Marine / former salvage worker / current drifter, and a James Bond -ish rogue with dermal weave armor, a DEX of B, and a fondness for body pistols and deception.

My son and his friends have borrowed the book to see about automating the character generation process in C++ ... I wish they'd hurry up, I want to get a game started!

Back