• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

MT- What do you like about it?

Murph

SOC-14 1K
The short answer is the Task System, that is rather nice. Another thing is standardizing the UWP, and making the Mercenary style character gen system available in the basic book.

The fluff mostly.

Though the special duty roll in Basic Character creation has some merit.

The things I still use in some form or other.
Special Duty roll
Imperial Encyclopedia
Referee Companion
Personal combat->vehicle combat with the potential to handle ship combat too

The Detail!

I still use the checklists from Imperial Encyclopedia and the Referee's Companion and the chapter on Communications.

I still remember how the books smelled fresh out of the box. It was unique!
Megatraveller was, at the time, a breath of fresh air that pulled everything together into one place with one unified system. I enjoyed the vehicle design system as its own mini-game, I spent a lot of time looking around my neighborhood and designing every vehicle I saw. I was the GM and the only one with the rules. I backported the whole Rebellion setting to our quasi-Spinward Marches campaign and used the chaos to stage a Vargr invasion. Good times...

The task system was certainly welcome. Catching up regular career skill levels to the Book4-7 character skill levels was reasonable (if a bit inflationary). Mostly it felt like a reasonable attempt to take Books 1-8 and consolidate it into three larger books.

• I like the task system; I've liked it since TD Issue 8 (where I first encountered it).
  • I like the attack and damage system for personal combat, and the unit combat (from the Referee's Companion). Including the vehicles mechanics
  • I like the Research rules, too (Ref's Companion).
  • I like the increased skill access in basic gen.
  • I like the rules for vehicle combat (other than ships)
  • I like that there is enough information to use the vehicle rules for starships. Batteries are just conglomerate units... ;)
  • I like that there is 3I setting included.
That it's my favorite edition should be obvious from the avatar image. (Note that the Shattered Starburst is a low-fidelity map of the Second Civil War factions...)

Character generation, with more skill cascades to pick your skills more often; and the system generation flowchart is easier to follow than Book 6. I was still fairly new to Traveller, having just picked up the Deluxe box the previous year, and the 3 book set was awe-inspiring. (Pity about the errata)

Although nowadays I have migrated back to Classic Traveller mostly, many things about MT I really like and continue to use:
- The general layout, style and presentation.
- The Imperial Encyclopedia. Still the go-to background bible for my Traveller games.
- The cover of the Referee's manual (and the box) remains one of my favorite pieces of Traveller artwork.
- The expanded system information (PBG, stellar data)
- Bringing basic and extended character generation in line as far as skills are concerned. Snatched the "special duty" roll for my CT games.
- The "nugget" formula for adventures.

And of course:
- The quality supplemental material produced (mostly) by DGP. So many adventure ideas and exploration of different aspects of the game.

Last edited:
Agree. I didn't include it in my list because it isn't something I have on my table unless i am running a scenario for it, But it is one of my favourite settings for Traveller in any iteration.
While i prefer classic timeframe, I have run (and enjoyed running) HT.

And I love all the MT cover art, tho' my favorite is the Referee's Companion, with the semi-submerged type-S with two scouts atop it.

MT is also my favorite version, though most of the points I most like have one (or several) but...

• I like chargen, (voth, basic and advanced) and the results it gives
  • I like the vehicle building rules, even though they give some unrealistic results ar many points (as the PP efficiencies) and are unclear in others
  • I like character developement rules (ATs), being (IMHO) the version where they are best
  • I like the detail of system creation (mostly since H&E made the workfon you, as it was quite time consuming)
  • I like the setting and its evolution, though some points are quite unbelieveable and not reproducible with the rules (Varg invasions, the high numbers of ships destroyed, etc)
  • And many more points. In general, I like the whole lot as it is (once errata is applied, as it has a true issue on it), despite being many points fit for improvement

And I love all the MT cover art, tho' my favorite is the Referee's Companion, with the semi-submerged type-S with two scouts atop it.
As a curiosity, I always saw it as they were refuelling from ocean

Hard Times.
Agree. I didn't include it in my list because it isn't something I have on my table unless i am running a scenario for it, But it is one of my favourite settings for Traveller in any iteration.

I agree. Hard times where your space is in a recovery mode after a war is where your PCs can have real impact.
I don't use the 3rd Imperium, but I have my own TU that had a war to stalemate, and produced a Hard Times setting.

and MT is my favourite addition.

The task system is the best in Traveller (and lots of other RPGs as well (although I should put in probably somewhere to be balanced (but I didn't because I'm biased)))
I like the character gen basic and advanced (although I like life events that MgT brings (and wish I'd have thought of it))
I like the vehicle building rules because they are crunchie enough to make it interesting but not so crucnchie that it's not worth the effort
I like the character development
I like ...
I like ...

MT is just my favourite addition ...

Back