• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

MT Only: My MT Errata Odyssey

trb456

SOC-6
I see this board has not been active for aboiut a year, but I'll post this anyway in case some lurkers are interested.

I played Traveller from the beginning (1977, my first RPG), and teenage me made many modifications to MT. I recently decided to go over all my old notes, apply all known errata, and generally get my setting ready for play again.

In addition to having patched MT for all of DonM's errata (RIP), here is a summary of other things I did:
1) Added an advantage/disadvantage system to the TRS: roll 3D and take the top/bottom 2D. This is actually a lot better than the d20 version, as it only adds +/-2 and has a saner probability distribution. I use it where I don't need a full Difficulty level change; e.g Advantage attacking from the rear.
2) Added a version of the Snapshot rules to MT combat. I happen to like more tactical options. I also went back to 15 second combat rounds. For example, Interrupting no longer uses a Move DM but is +1 DM per 2 AP spent. I prefer Interrupting to have some cost.
3) Added more detailed range bands by weapon from Striker, for more interesting combat effects.
4) Added an Archaic armor rating versus melee and archaic ranged weapons.
5) Added a hit location and fumble system to personal combat. Makes armor even more important.
6) Added lots of Striker detail: vehicle hit locations, nuclear weapons, tac missiles, drones as robots, other materiel. Also added the corrected version of Special Supplement 3: Missiles.
7) "Fixed" DonM's errata trying to reconcile vehicle and robot suspensions & transmissions. These mostly should not have been changed from MT, but rather robot prices should simply be much higher than vehicles.
8) Battery prices /10 is better than the /100 per DonM's errata.
9) Greatly streamlined the gun construction rules to provide only a few representative examples, can always go back to the RM for details. I also added my own rules for large wet navy CPR guns up to 450cm.
10) The control panel rules produce nothing like the old bridge volumes. I instituted a Duty Station per active duty crew equal to 1 Small Stateroom, minimum of 10 Duty Stations per starship (corresponds to the old 20 D-ton bridge requirement). I rebuilt the Type S Scout using this rule with very good results.
11) Added back starship vector movement on a hex grid (10k km), and went to 15 minute combat rounds (very close to Book 2).
12) Added back starship computer programming. This gives the players lots of fun advantages versus capital ships. Also added detailed hand computer integration and how library data works.
13) Added a flexible turret system to allow dynamic battery allocation for small ships. Another player advantage vs. capital ships.
14) Greatly expanded Psionics, including a set of rules for Special that allows for very rare but powerful psionic beings (you could conceivably generate Grandfather).

I am currently working on the character generation modules. My setting is my own, so I have different aliens and different customization.

At some point, I would like to start running my setting again. We'll see how it goes!

Last edited:
Now that I have made major progress in my errate patching and homebrewing, I'm ready to start posting somesuggested errata of my own. This first post is a fairly deep cut but maybe of interest to COACC fans.

In Don M.'s errata, he posted this open question: "Should aircraft damage points NOT be multiplied by 10 like other vehicles?" For the life of me, I cannot find what this references. Where do other vehicle damage points get multipled by 10!?!? But the implication is clear: should aircraft damage points be DIVIDED by10? This implies multiplying volume by 6 instead of 60 per COACC. I agree with the direction: unarmored aircraft ought to be more fragile, and current rules do not have this feel, most notably for airships. But this implied correction might be too high.

My suggested errata is to use volumes like those of the normal design sequence. First compute M = unloaded weight in tons of fixed or rotary wing aircraft, or the envelope of an airship. Then V = volume in kl = M x (6.6 x ln M + 6.8), where ln is the natural logarithm and V is capped at 10 < V/M < 45. For fixed and rotary wing aircraft, V is the actual volume. For airships, V is a pseudo volume only used for damage point computation. Note: The formula for V is a curve fit to the Referee's Manual Hull Table data.

Examples from COACC: pg. 27 Chicago goes from 28/70 to 9/23; pg. 37 Port Stanley goes from 40/100 to 15/37; pg. 71 Hartford goes from 16/40 to 4/11, pg. 73 Palm Springs goes from 6/30 to 1/3 (helicopters become very fragile, as appropriate), pg. 89 Calcutta goes from 13338/33333 to 557/1392 (a particularly egregious example).

Any comments on this suggested change? Thanks

Back