• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

My Psionics Rules

Originally posted by Thomas Rux:
Traveller is not D&D nor any other adaptable RPG game system. I started out with the original D&D and moved to AD&D eventually losing interest because of the ever increasing magical abilities required to survive an adventure/campaign.
Can't hurt to have the rules suggested, if it makes Traveller a more appealing generic sci-fi game system.

FWIW, when I first bought my LBB I was most concerned with how to model Robotech characters and giant robots as that is what I liked at the time! (I ended up getting into BattleTech/MechWarrior when it first came out - easier than doing my own rules)

Lo Falkayn,

Traveller is the first generic science fiction RPG and is still adaptable to various game systems. Further the game, with very few tweaks, nips, and tucks, has lasted for 25 years.

How many other science fiction genre RPGs can make that claim?

As I mentioned I lost interest in the various incarnations of D&D because of the ever increasing need for powerful abilities to survive a campaign/adventure. I will add that eventually there was nothing extraordinary about PCs or NPCs since they all were powerful. These changes from the generic D&D basic to AD&D is what killed my interest as a generic RPG player.

I say again, if the GM/players want these munchkinizing powers as part of their homegrown variant TU, then they can have them. Further, these variant rules can be mentioned as being available, but I would rather not see those that give uber power, intergalatic is one, made as a permanent change to the core rules.

With that said I will get off my soap box and leave ya'll alone to do as you will. ;)

Originally posted by Falkayn:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Thomas Rux:
Traveller is not D&D nor any other adaptable RPG game system. I started out with the original D&D and moved to AD&D eventually losing interest because of the ever increasing magical abilities required to survive an adventure/campaign.
Can't hurt to have the rules suggested, if it makes Traveller a more appealing generic sci-fi game system.

FWIW, when I first bought my LBB I was most concerned with how to model Robotech characters and giant robots as that is what I liked at the time! (I ended up getting into BattleTech/MechWarrior when it first came out - easier than doing my own rules)
</font>[/QUOTE]

Actually, I never really wanted these to be added to the OTU. But I don't run Traveller exactly the way everyone else does - I have homebrews for everything and incorporate ideas from a multitude of other games, including Star Wars and Alternity. It's my game - I make it work the way I need it to work. It doesn't mean it's right for everyone else.

Later,

Scout

Evening ScoutCadet469;

Okay, I bent the truth a little when I said I'd leave y'all alone. T20 is based on CT Book 5 High Guard, which have been adapted to the d20 system. T20 is essentially an alternate timeline of the OTU, which means the core rules, at least from my understanding of the agreement with Marc Miller, must follow certain criteria to be a licensed Traveller product. So what is done here will affect the OTU in some form as has the other companies that produced Traveller related products. Imperium Games "Marc Miller's Traveller - T4" has caused some problems and so has some of Digest Group Publications products.

In the first 10 years of my Traveller gaming period I gamed with at least 6 different groups and not one of them ran Traveller the same. All of them ran their game with bits and pieces from their favorite games systems. I'm sure that a majority of players and GMs would say the TUs they play in aren't carbon copies of the OTU. However, there are a lot of features that are recognizable as the OTU. My reaction to uber psionics is based on the OTU and games that had powerful psionic beings. For me they just do not fit. Yep, share your homebrew stuff with the rest of the Traveller community, there are many who will welcome them. But recommending that the uber portions be included in an official template or rule set changes things to other TU products, not just those associated with T20.

I say again with vigor: The GM and players decide the TU they adventure and campaign and the rules from the OTU to use or create ones that fit that TU. Sharing the homegrown/brewed rules is one of the items, at least in my opinion, that have kept Traveller around for 25-years. Also, to repeat myself there are some very good ideas here for expanding the psionic abilities and I like them, but not all of them.

Okay, this time I'll try very hard not to pipe up again. Sorry

Originally posted by ScoutCadet469:
Actually, I never really wanted these to be added to the OTU. But I don't run Traveller exactly the way everyone else does - I have homebrews for everything and incorporate ideas from a multitude of other games, including Star Wars and Alternity. It's my game - I make it work the way I need it to work. It doesn't mean it's right for everyone else.

Later,

Scout

Back