• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Jinn

Garnfellow

SOC-13
I just stumbled on a BONKERS item from Traveller5:

Jinn
TL R, Size 3, 3 kg, Cr 250,000.
A small, portable container (“bottle”) for a semi-organic brain. At TL R [!] bottles have antimatter power and efficient life support systems, allowing a brain to survive for long periods of time before requiring a recharge. The most common [!!] Jinns have psionic brains installed (for example, with Teleport skill [!!!]), which can act without requiring a body (630).

I don't think I've see any discussion of such artifacts, but man I want to drop one into my game.

I don't think I've see any discussion of such artifacts, but man I want to drop one into my game.
Are the Jinn self aware entities or manipulated by an owner. The psionic Teleport example above made me think of a person using the Jinn as a personal Teleport device... there is something similar in a fantasy manga I'm reading where people from other worlds have powerful abilities and the native population has learned how to harvest these 'visitors' brains and put them in a magical box so their powers can be used by someone else.

Sounds really dark either way.

Are the Jinn self aware entities or manipulated by an owner. The psionic Teleport example above made me think of a person using the Jinn as a personal Teleport device... there is something similar in a fantasy manga I'm reading where people from other worlds have powerful abilities and the native population has learned how to harvest these 'visitors' brains and put them in a magical box so their powers can be used by someone else.

Sounds really dark either way.

The description he gave is all the info there is. Semi-Organic is an option described under computers and robots for brains. This would seem to imply at least the possibility of self-awareness but would not guarantee it. But since self-awareness becomes possible for robots and computers at TL-G, you would think that at TL-R they probably would be unless specifically designed to not be so.

there is something similar in a fantasy manga I'm reading where people from other worlds have powerful abilities and the native population has learned how to harvest these 'visitors' brains and put them in a magical box so their powers can be used by someone else.
:eek:

What's the name of this series? :rolleyes:

:eek:

What's the name of this series? :rolleyes:
The Onee-sama and the Giant.
The description he gave is all the info there is. Semi-Organic is an option described under computers and robots for brains. This would seem to imply at least the possibility of self-awareness but would not guarantee it. But since self-awareness becomes possible for robots and computers at TL-G, you would think that at TL-R they probably would be unless specifically designed to not be so.
For some reason this makes me think of Ghost in the Shell or a performance enhanced cyborg or computer/robot.

IMTU , in the HoloVid show "II Enri, An Actual Imperial Hero", one of the evil bad guys is a Count who acquired one of these and is using it to try to take over the Domain of Deneb. Each time Enri and the guys foil his scheme, he teleports out to fight another day

Back