• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Online (JS) Classic Traveller Character maker

Certainly a better option than some that I've seen.
Would be nice to have a Reroll button instead of simply refreshing the page.

Just to test the error checking, tried to enlist as a Noble with less than Social: A and enlistment was denied and the button to choose Noble disappeared. Might want to update that bit of the programming so the Noble button only appears if Social: A+

Visually, the font size seems small so you might want to enforce a larger font size.

Oh and page bookmarked, just in case it needs to be used in the future.

Nice!
----------------
Russ Rimmer 4A4339 Age 38 Cr 25000
5 terms Navy (Lieutenant)
Skills: Fwd Obsvr,1,Engineering,1,Electronic,1,Wpn:Blade,2,Gunnery,1,Wpn:Laser Carbine,1,Jack-of-all-Trades,1
Gear: Retirement Pay,4000,Travellers' Aid Society Membership,1,Wpn:Blade,1,High Passage Ticket,1

Certainly a better option than some that I've seen.
Would be nice to have a Reroll button instead of simply refreshing the page.

Just to test the error checking, tried to enlist as a Noble with less than Social: A and enlistment was denied and the button to choose Noble disappeared. Might want to update that bit of the programming so the Noble button only appears if Social: A+

Visually, the font size seems small so you might want to enforce a larger font size.

Oh and page bookmarked, just in case it needs to be used in the future.
Thanks!

There's a reroll button if you die, but not if you successfully finish. I found that otherwise it's too easy right now to accidentally click again and blow away the character (e.g. if you're clicking to roll three times on the money table, it's easy to click four times instead).

Some of this is development artifact: I made this as a javascript module, then slapped a basic html front-end on it. So interface stuff like whether there's a re-roll button is easy to change. One could also very easily keep a series of characters on a page (since each is just an instance of a JS class), or turn it into a desktop app, or whatever.

But yes, the interface could use quite a lot of polish.

Noble would actually be harder to do cleanly. I'll think about it.

Thank you for the feedback. Criticism is great and underrated.

You are too kind. 😊

Something that would be able to take this To The Next Level would be a URL hash code so as to return to the character output later.

That way, rather than "saving" the character to cloud space (somewhere), all you need is the URL hash code and the page will re-render the chargen for you. That way, you can "pass character sheets around" simply using a bookmark/link to assist with online gaming.

Kind of like how online World of Warcraft Talent calculators tend to work ... they generate a modification of the URL while the talent tree is being interacted with and present it for copying. If you need a link to one so as to see how the programming works in action, such a link can be provided.

Thanks!

There's a reroll button if you die, but not if you successfully finish. I found that otherwise it's too easy right now to accidentally click again and blow away the character (e.g. if you're clicking to roll three times on the money table, it's easy to click four times instead).

Some of this is development artifact: I made this as a javascript module, then slapped a basic html front-end on it. So interface stuff like whether there's a re-roll button is easy to change. One could also very easily keep a series of characters on a page (since each is just an instance of a JS class), or turn it into a desktop app, or whatever.

But yes, the interface could use quite a lot of polish.

Noble would actually be harder to do cleanly. I'll think about it.

Great fun, kills the characters almost faster than I usually do :)

Back