• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Orcas

I guess as PCs they will be troublesome. Aside from the many problems a Dophin already have (the need for waldos, Gravity, etc), try to imagine how an Orca sateroom could be in a ship...

I can't take credit for this idea...

In a story arc taking place in an ATU along and around a trade route that included a low-pop, high-tech waterworld, some players were given the opportunity to wafer-jack*1* into uplifted porpoises to conduct underwater scouting operations, searching for a pirate base. I don't think this was in the book (Gamelords' "The Undersea Environment"?) that the GM had been cribbing from.

*1* Wafer-jack is the closest canon description, but memories of the copied/transferred personality could be later re-integrated into the original persona, and it had only been previously used for human/clone transfers. In this case, no ill effects occurred upon memory reintegration, other than an increased affection for sushi...

I have Orcas, along with Sperm Whales and assorted other whales in my sector. I guess it depends if you are thinking of them as intelligent characters. Given their size and food requirements, I would think more than twice about that. They also tend to like to have other Orcas around.

If you are thinking of Orcas, how about intelligent Sperm Whales?

Actually, I have thought about adding intelligent Sea Otters to my universe, given their use of tools in the form of stones to crack shellfish. Given their size and manipulative ability, a human-level intelligent Sea Otter would be a viable option on a primarily water world.

Sea Otters? Why not Meerkats or Raccoons?

I asked about "killer whales" because they're more intelligent (or just as) Dolphins, and they're listed in the Traveller wiki, but other than Blur Planet I've never seen them listed as NPCs (much less PCs).

I asked about "killer whales" because they're more intelligent (or just as) Dolphins, and they're listed in the Traveller wiki, but other than Blur Planet I've never seen them listed as NPCs (much less PCs).

Intelligent Orcas are also mentioned in MT:Astrogator's Guide to Diaspora as being part of the inhabitants of Suffren.

Hints abound that for every Terran uplift we have been informed of, at least one more has avoided the annals of history, often by looking like the one we know about.

Meerkats are used by Hosteen Storm in Andre Norton's books, Beast Master and Lord of Thunder, and are more intelligent than the normal ones. As for Raccoons, I have already given them some thought. I chose Sea Otters as they are already tool users, and are also more able to operate on land than Dolphins.

I seem to recall that Lords of Thunder was part of a quadrilogy authored by Jack L. Chalker … I can't remember much of it though … or am I thinking Pirates of Thunder? Oh well.

Hints abound that for every Terran uplift we have been informed of, at least one more has avoided the annals of history, often by looking like the one we know about.

The infamous uplifted Portuguese Man O' War is rumored to have created an undersea citadel at the bottom of Bellerophon's deepest oceans. (Nomads of the Ocean World reference … Orcas are probably resident there too … as well as uplifted dolphins).

I hear tell of uplifted Mooses (Meese?) in these parts.

Uplifted dolphins with psioncs? Psionic Orcas? Psionic squirrels?

Sea otters would still need some land available to them. Completely aquatic mammals like dolphins might work better in a true blue water situation.

Meerkats are used by Hosteen Storm in Andre Norton's books, Beast Master and Lord of Thunder, and are more intelligent than the normal ones. As for Raccoons, I have already given them some thought. I chose Sea Otters as they are already tool users, and are also more able to operate on land than Dolphins.

I seem to recall that Lords of Thunder was part of a quadrilogy authored by Jack L. Chalker … I can't remember much of it though … or am I thinking Pirates of Thunder? Oh well.

Definitely thinking of Pirates.

The Andre Norton series is:
The Beast Master (1959) [rev. 1961]
Lord of Thunder (1962)
Beast Master's Ark (2002) (with Lyn McConchie)
Beast Master's Circus (2004) (with Lyn McConchie)
Beast Master's Quest (2006) (with Lyn McConchie)

And uplifted otters - both sea & land - sounds like a "fun" time... if you get their mischievousness level under control.

Thank you for the correction. It's been ages since I read Chalker's series.

Back to Orcas;
I started the thread because I think in one of Kurt Weigel's YouTube game reviews (Blue Planet RPG) he made mention of an Orca somewhere. Either that or when I was reading the big Referee's book there was mention of an Orca as a murderer. Which is somewhat at odds with what we know about Orcas. Where they are predators they are pretty methodical and have a particular taste for certain prey, notably sharks.

They seem to be primary candidates for Traveller water world local "experts" or even support for some kind of maritime or submarine operation.

Just some thoughts.

Trolled this thread for a few days now. Read through the 'wiki' on Orcas, and think I'll give it a go.

Saturdays' mission is to a water world, 1530 Storr, and I was all set to dump T. Galactus (dolphins), on the players. Instead, I think Orcas might be a better choice. They seem to have a wider range of travel, according to the 'wiki'. And my take on the 'wiki', seems to imply a greater affinity/tolerance/affection for humans than dolphins.

Gonna use the dolphin generation rules, 6d hits, 3d death, with a +2 per die. On account of their size(3d3 meters).

Rationale is: They were part of an exploration/settlement program started by ROM scientists, and were forgotten/abandoned after the collapse.

Communication will be impossible, of course, but the Orcas will have a 'racial' memory of Humaniti.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, let the jocularity begin!

This is gonna be oh, so much fun!

Last edited:
Back