• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Orionis cluster

jcmenal

SOC-7
According to the INAP article (Challenge Magazine #34), the INAP nations planned to explore the AC+12 1800-213 (Ross 47) and DM-21 1051 (Donner 91) systems, hoping to open up a new area of the galaxy for exploration and colonization, namely the Orionis cluster.

The previous surveys show 6 promising stars in 4 systems, all reachable without using stutterwarp tug technology. All starts from AC+12 1800-213, a system surveyed by the INAP, however, the closest colonial world is Austin's World, 1 system away; the Brazilian outpost on DM-21 1377 and Ross 614 are just 2 systems away; Montana also is just 2 systems away, but Argentineans and Mexicans must pass thru DM-3 1123, letting know their activities to the Texans; The Brazilians can avoid to pass thru Austin's World and use the LP-658-2 system.

While the direct link with DM-21 1051 doesn't exist, a direct link between AC+12 1800-213 and Pi3 Orionis does, via LP 476-207 (Steph 538) without tugs. Pi3 Orionis, an F type star, links directly with DM-5 1123, a K type star, this star links with via 2 stars with DM-21 1051, which connects with Gamma Leporis, a binary system with F and K type stars. Back to Pi3 Orionis, it connects via GJ 1087 with Chi1 Orionis, a binary system with G and M type stars.

Imagine the race between Argentina-Mexico and Brazil-Texas for those probably habitable worlds, or even a new alien race in one of those 4 systems, not counting the M type stars systems.

thoughts?

JC (INAP Agent)

Interesting. The idea of a space race between Brazil-Texas and Argentina-Mexico. I like the idea. It has the potential for all sorts of really good adventures.

According to the INAP article (Challenge Magazine #34), the INAP nations planned to explore the AC+12 1800-213 (Ross 47) and DM-21 1051 (Donner 91) systems, hoping to open up a new area of the galaxy for exploration and colonization, namely the Orionis cluster.

The previous surveys show 6 promising stars in 4 systems, all reachable without using stutterwarp tug technology. All starts from AC+12 1800-213, a system surveyed by the INAP, however, the closest colonial world is Austin's World, 1 system away; the Brazilian outpost on DM-21 1377 and Ross 614 are just 2 systems away; Montana also is just 2 systems away, but Argentineans and Mexicans must pass thru DM-3 1123, letting know their activities to the Texans; The Brazilians can avoid to pass thru Austin's World and use the LP-658-2 system.

While the direct link with DM-21 1051 doesn't exist, a direct link between AC+12 1800-213 and Pi3 Orionis does, via LP 476-207 (Steph 538) without tugs. Pi3 Orionis, an F type star, links directly with DM-5 1123, a K type star, this star links with via 2 stars with DM-21 1051, which connects with Gamma Leporis, a binary system with F and K type stars. Back to Pi3 Orionis, it connects via GJ 1087 with Chi1 Orionis, a binary system with G and M type stars.

Imagine the race between Argentina-Mexico and Brazil-Texas for those probably habitable worlds, or even a new alien race in one of those 4 systems, not counting the M type stars systems.

thoughts?

JC (INAP Agent)

[. . .]

I do like. This would be one way to boost the Latin Americans' profile.

I see Texas-Brazil as natural allies in the race for space. I see a technology transfer between Texas and Brazil as seen in some of the later articles especially the Vehicle guide regarding the sale of AC-12's license built in Brazil. I also see the Brazillian economy as larger than that of Texas to some exent, and with the natural competition between Argentina and Brazil, it makes complete sense.

I see Texas-Brazil as natural allies in the race for space. I see a technology transfer between Texas and Brazil as seen in some of the later articles especially the Vehicle guide regarding the sale of AC-12's license built in Brazil. I also see the Brazillian economy as larger than that of Texas to some exent, and with the natural competition between Argentina and Brazil, it makes complete sense.

Agreed. I think the balance is such that Texas is much weaker than Brazil--Terran Brazil alone has ~400M people, and Provincia do Brasil another ~100M, both components being highly industrialized. Texas is the most viable candidate for a proxy ally I can think of.

Where would the US fit into this? American friendliness towards the non-friends of its Mexican non-friend/enemy makes sense, though not full-fledged alliance or anything like that (other priorities). Perhaps American support?

Brazil is certainly the powerhouse of the South, and should be able to have multiple colonies, much like the UK, or Germany.

I have my own Orion OB1 Association setting...
*sees forum name* Oh! This is 2320... well, I don't have much experience in this setting, but it could be converted (it's OTU. I'm not sure what the connection between Traveller and 2320 is, but they are both in this galaxy).

I have my own Orion OB1 Association setting...
*sees forum name* Oh! This is 2320... well, I don't have much experience in this setting, but it could be converted (it's OTU. I'm not sure what the connection between Traveller and 2320 is, but they are both in this galaxy).

They are connected only in being designed by the same people, and an unfortunate Labeling of 2300's 1st edition as "Traveller:2300" because GDW didn't realize people associated the Traveller name with the setting more strongly than with the rules.

2320 was a port of the 2300 setting to the T20 rules.

I think that was an area where 2300 broke down, is the struggle in the Southern Hemisphere. All sorts of good sleazy mudfighting possible there....

I think that was an area where 2300 broke down, is the struggle in the Southern Hemisphere. All sorts of good sleazy mudfighting possible there....

2300AD as a whole seems underdeveloped as a comprehensive universe. The Kafer War has taken over the setting. Backstory articles like you find in the old Challenger magazine are a nice way of overcoming that lack of material. That way you can overcome the overbearing Kafer War and set stories elsewhere in the 2300AD universe.
The last few adventures I played were all set on the Chinese arm, for the same reasons you quote and organisations like INAP are wonderful vehicles.
You do have to have a liking for the feel that a Latin-American story will have.

Back