• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Packing the Air/Raft

So many Traveller illustrations have the scale messed up. 4 dT is huge. Hmmm, apparently I don't have access to my old photobucket account. Well, I'll have to use words.

When you look at the detail of the 4-man enclosed raft, notice that the seats are a full meter wide, and the seat depth is about 60 cm. That's approximately 50% larger than the seats in my cars. You'd look like a little kid pretending to drive Mom's car when sitting in those seats.

The overall width is a full 3 m. You could fit two tour bus seats beside the driver and two rows of two and two behind. It's actually a good 30 cm or so wider than a tour bus, so with side access you could get rid of the center aisle and have two rows of five, and maybe even squeeze a third seat to the right of the driver.

It's a full meter shorter than the 3.5 m height assumed for the two 1.5 m squares per dT. If actually made that tall it would be about the height of the typical double-deck commuter bus seen around silicon valley. You'd lose too much space for access to the upper deck in a vehicle of that length, but just sayin' ya could. At the least you could have a cargo deck underneath the seating, as in many commercial buses.

I've considered this. IMTU, the Air/Raft is often part of a "Grav Train" system of linked vehicles, with computer controlls in the "slave" cars. One favorite is a flatbed or low wall conformable sled, no seats and minimal controls, perfect for hauling a 4 ton container. There are larger sleds for larger containers, giving a sort of "semitrailer truck" effect--but the big advantage of the 4ton sled is that it fits neatly above (or below) the air/raft in its hanger. If you have the cash, you get a much enhanced cargo-hauling capacity in the standard storage space.

So many Traveller illustrations have the scale messed up

on my deckplans I determined that one pixel is 3.25 inches. sometimes I'll count them out to see what the spacing is. and yeah, I'm really into this.

Doesn't this depend on Tech level? I'm thinking 1-2 at TL9, to several dozen at TL F. Anything over TL C has cupholders that can keep a drink hot or cold. TL E+ has cupholders that keep a drink both hot and cold.
TL-F has cupholders that can keep the a drink both hot and cold simultaneously.

TL-F has cupholders that can keep the a drink both hot and cold simultaneously.

At TL-F you don't need a cup holder. There's simply a persistent gravitic field that keeps the cup stationary no matter where you put it, like above the steering wheel, to the right, just in front of the dash.

There are enclosed versions, and "the speeds they're capable of", CT 100 kph cruise, or 62.5 mph U.S., would make them feel rather like modern convertibles - if you can deal with looking over the side and seeing a thousand foot drop. :devil:.
Or like riding in a Huey with the doors open. I never imposed the somewhat silly limit of 100 km/h. I could never figure why it wouldn't be able to go at light aircraft speeds. There are (or were) open cockpit aircraft that could go 300 mph.

Biplane engines improved, as did airframe construction.

If you have vanilla anti gravity motors for a set technological level, they either need a system to tweak them, which I assume Tee Five does, or they need to be percentualized higher, to generate more lift per tonne.

Yep. And, if you do the math for what the actual flight path would be, it's close enough that when you figure in having to get into position for the correct orbital inclination and the time when your rendezvous target is in the right position, it works out.

Atmospheric entry:

My take on that would be that they go geostationary and descend slowly at first, up to a maximum decent velocity before atmospheric heating by friction will become an issue, until in deeper atmosphere where normal flight conditions for the air/raft might be achievable without blowing everyone out of their harnesses ;)

Atmospheric exit:

As long as they can achieve orbit without breaking anything or loosing anyone, it works ;)

YMMV ;)

Atmospheric entry:

My take on that would be that they go geostationary and descend slowly at first, up to a maximum decent velocity before atmospheric heating by friction will become an issue, until in deeper atmosphere where normal flight conditions for the air/raft might be achievable without blowing everyone out of their harnesses ;)

Atmospheric exit:

As long as they can achieve orbit without breaking anything or loosing anyone, it works ;)

YMMV ;)
That's close to my take on it.
Going up:
Straight up (drag-limited by the fact it's a barn door in a vertical ascent) until halfway up, then start lateral acceleration. Once you're halfway up, momentum carries you rest of the way up to orbital altitude. What takes most of the time is getting up to orbital velocity with only 1/10G of acceleration...

Coming down:
Deceleration at 1/10G (which is all that's available) to kill the orbital vector. Gradually increase the anti-grav to keep the vertical descent rate low. This allows time for the Air/Raft to slow to a survivable velocity before encountering the top of the stratosphere. Flip to belly-forward for maximum drag to kill remaining horizontal vector, then finish the descent in a flat orientation. Going down is faster than going up -- it's still a barn door, but it's a barn door with 1G downward acceleration, not 1/10G as it was on the way up. That said, every 1 second of free fall has to be countered by 10 seconds of upward thrust.

IMTU there's an optional ablative-foam heat shield re-entry kit -- wrap the big baggie around the Air/Raft, attach the stabilizing drogue ribbon to the upper lifting points on the hull, spray the foam and wait for it to set before starting the descent. Pretty contrail, impressive sonic boom. What doesn't burn away can be cut loose and ejected once you're down to a reasonable speed.

High TL Air/Rafts have integral heat shielding and a retractable aeroshell that deploys over the top. Watch your step when climbing out after landing!*

Most worlds would much prefer it if you didn't come in hot like that, though. Startles the livestock, annoys the neighbors.

* Handwave it if you want to, since Traveller ignores heat, pretty much (terawatt starship powerplants without radiator fins. Ok.)

Also, at high TL they probably have thrusters rather than plain grav modules so you can slam them to a stop from orbital velocity in minutes, then make like a potted petunia. ("Oh no, not again.")

Last edited:
Localized anti gravity generation is very much linked to local gravitational pull; equilibrium basically makes the vehicle a blimp.

No, the 60 cm depth means you'd have to be wearing a big pack of some sort to be comfortable. Most crew seating assumes stowing the pack elsewhere and hook-up to onboard life support, if that is necessary.

Combat armor is really another case as well, probably handled by removing the standard seats and subbing in something designed for it. Unless you think the seats aren't removable?

Maybe that's why Air/Rafts are so expensive? Takes a lot of tech and design and what-not to figure out optimal removable seats.

Orbital velocities are for primitives

Was just reading through this thread and haven't read all the entries, so not sure if anyone has already said this, or even how relevant it is.

When Traveller materials talk about air/rafts reaching orbital heights I always assumed they were just talking about the height itself, not actually entering orbit.
My point is that with a technology that can control gravity to the extent shown in Traveller tech 10+, there is no need to enter orbit, i.e. achieve orbital velocity and let Newton do the driving. The air/raft, or any grav vehicle, including starships, can just hover over any desired point on the planet at any altitude (assuming one's Mdrive is strong enough).
Therefor reaching orbital altitude or reentering the atmosphere is MUCH easier than some posters have described, because you do not have to achieve/reduce orbital velocities at all, since you do not use such velocities in the first place.
Hope I have explained this well enough.

You explained this perfectly well, and I agree. Related: this is a thing that Star Wars gets right and CT gets wrong - there is no reason an un- or partial streamlined ship can't take off or land in an atmosphere. The vessel doesn't need to be travelling at high speeds for configuration to matter. Now, certain dispersed structures might be an exception to the above, but for most any close structure atmospheric entry can be managed with enough M-drive.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
You explained this perfectly well, and I agree. Related: this is a thing that Star Wars gets right and CT gets wrong - there is no reason an un- or partial streamlined ship can't take off or land in an atmosphere. The vessel doesn't need to be travelling at high speeds for configuration to matter. Now, certain dispersed structures might be an exception to the above, but for most any close structure atmospheric entry can be managed with enough M-drive.
... and patience.

Ships and other things will likely still orbit rather than hover. It's fail-safe rather than fail-deadly, and planetary airspace control would just as soon not have to deal with ships falling out of the sky due to power plant or grav drive glitches. If you've got Maneuver Drives, even 1G can establish orbit or brake to a hover fairly rapidly.

But yeah, "streamlined" vs. "partially streamlined" vs. "unstreamlined" is a question of whether atmospheric entry/exit is supersonic, subsonic, or at walking speed. And in the last case, wind shear might rip off antennae or panels no matter how careful you are.

... and patience.

Ships and other things will likely still orbit rather than hover. It's fail-safe rather than fail-deadly, and planetary airspace control would just as soon not have to deal with ships falling out of the sky due to power plant or grav drive glitches. If you've got Maneuver Drives, even 1G can establish orbit or brake to a hover fairly rapidly.

But yeah, "streamlined" vs. "partially streamlined" vs. "unstreamlined" is a question of whether atmospheric entry/exit is supersonic, subsonic, or at walking speed. And in the last case, wind shear might rip off antennae or panels no matter how careful you are.

Yes, very good point about Newtonian orbits being fail-safe.
Taking that into consideration I'd suggest that an air/raft would be able to reach orbital altitude, but is probably not able to achieve orbital velocity. It would have to wait for a ship to pick it up.
Meanwhile spaceships would ordinarily follow the same hovering method to leave an atmosphere, then accelerate to a Newtonian velocity once outside the atmosphere, and conversely would slow down to hovering speed BEFORE trying to enter the atmosphere, thereby making such entries/exits fairly stress free.
This makes it sound like the only reason for streamlining is if one wants/needs to be able to zip around in an atmosphere at high speeds for some reason NOT related to achieving orbit or de-orbiting.

Now, what effect does this line of reasoning have on skimming Gas Giants?

Essentially, it depends on how much the gravitational motors can bite on the local gravitational field.

I think in the MongoVerse its an arbitrary twelve hundred fifty klicks.

Yes, very good point about Newtonian orbits being fail-safe.
Taking that into consideration I'd suggest that an air/raft would be able to reach orbital altitude, but is probably not able to achieve orbital velocity.
It's sort of irrelevant exactly how quickly an Air/Raft can accelerate as long as it can maintain altitude -- in vacuum, the velocity keeps adding up and eventually it'll have enough to hold orbit. (V=A*T^2, since we're not decelerating to a stop after the midpoint.)

At 0.1G lateral acceleration, the Air/Raft should be able to reach the necessary 7.8km/sec velocity for a Low Earth Orbit (2000km altitude) in 2.6 hours if it starts in a dead hover at 2000km altitude.
I calculate it has that 0.1G lateral acceleration based on the description in Book 2 (120kph max, which the text suggests is limited by aerodynamics) and the vehicle design tables in Striker (120kph max speed for a grav vehicle requires 1.1G thrust).

Just to limit things a little, I also assume that 1G of the 1.1G is usable only to neutralize the vehicle's weight -- for example, on a world with 0.5G surface gravity the Air/Raft still only has 0.1G to use upwards or sideways, not 0.6.
This assumes that the "hover" is at zero velocity -- the world will be rotating beneath it. If it were hovering vertically above a stationary point on the world's equator, it would have a bit over 500m/sec velocity to start with.

Back