• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Phlange Sector

Was Chemosh, Subsector F, one of mine? If so, do you still have the notes on it?
Yeah, that was yours!
I went looking through some older posts, I thought you had posted here. I don't remember if it was a pm or not.
Let me see if it's in my pm's. Nope, not there.
Can't find it in my 'local' files either. And...now im confused. Will keep looking.

Chuck

Yeah, that was yours!
I went looking through some older posts, I thought you had posted here. I don't remember if it was a pm or not.
Let me see if it's in my pm's. Nope, not there.
Can't find it in my 'local' files either. And...now im confused. Will keep looking.

Chuck
UWP: D050469-6

Starport: D - Poor

Bases: Scout

Size: 0

Atmosphere: 5 thin

Hydrographics: 0

Population: 4 - Tens of thousands (small town)

Government: 6 - Captive government

Law: 9

Tech level: 6

Chemosh is an engineered hollow nickel-iron planetoid with a thin but breathable internal atmosphere inhabited by a colony of Asura dissenters. The ancestors of the Chemoshites made too much trouble on the home world, but the Empress’s gov’t was unwilling to harm them, preferring instead to relocate them to Chemosh, where they could live out their ‘deviant patriarchal’ ideals under proper supervision. The colonial gov’t operates under the direction of a female official sent from Asura, working with (more or less) the colonists’ Council of Fathers.

UWP: D050469-6

Starport: D - Poor

Bases: Scout

Size: 0

Atmosphere: 5 thin

Hydrographics: 0

Population: 4 - Tens of thousands (small town)

Government: 6 - Captive government

Law: 9

Tech level: 6

Chemosh is an engineered hollow nickel-iron planetoid with a thin but breathable internal atmosphere inhabited by a colony of Asura dissenters. The ancestors of the Chemoshites made too much trouble on the home world, but the Empress’s gov’t was unwilling to harm them, preferring instead to relocate them to Chemosh, where they could live out their ‘deviant patriarchal’ ideals under proper supervision. The colonial gov’t operates under the direction of a female official sent from Asura, working with (more or less) the colonists’ Council of Fathers.
Can a Size 0 have an atmosphere? Or is it interior of the planetoid(that would be my take)?

chuck

It's the interior.

That was probably a 1977 rules thing or a randomly egenrated UWP. Use whatever you have on the map, for sure. This was the draft from an e mail.

Indeed, looks like it was corrcted to atmo 0 on the map. I like that much better. There's no good reason why they'd make the air thin inside their home, unless Asura has thin air, which it does not.
(Asura is Standard).

There's no good reason why they'd make the air thin inside their home, unless Asura has thin air
Actually, a Thin atmosphere as an internal feature makes a lot of sense, compared to a Standard atmosphere.
Lower atmospheric pressure means less stress/strain on containment by structural confinement (whether we're talking planetoid or metal hull). A lower but still survivable atmospheric pressure makes any kind of engineering (natural and/or artificial) for containment of that atmosphere less demanding and therefore more reliable due to a reduced risk of pressure leaks.

What you could be looking at is a "large planetoid hull" type of situation where the planetoid has been "hollowed out" for habitat spaces and the habitat spaces are pressurized with a Thin atmosphere so as to not overly stress the planetoid "hull" and reduce the risk of pressure cracks creating fissures to the surface through which the internal atmospheric pressure could escape, depressurizing the entire habitat.

So the Thin atmosphere, rather than a Standard atmosphere, would have been an engineering compromise made for structural integrity reasons.

With a Thin atmosphere, you could use up to 80% of the interior volume without compromising integrity (Planetoid hull standard).
With a Standard atmosphere, you could only use up to 65% of the interior volume without compromising integrity (Buffered Planetoid hull standard).
With a Dense atmosphere (just to round out the thinking here), you would need what amounts to an Armored Buffered Planetoid hull ... meaning an even lower volume available for the interior habitat.
Can a Size 0 have an atmosphere?
As far as I remember, size: 0 is required to have no atmosphere or hydrographics (LLB3.81, p7).

The Sector is really coming along. The graphics are initial renders, and there is a fair amount of editing going on. Lots of stuff I neglected to consider; surrounding stellar density, populations, and tech for sure.

But it is MOVING forward!
That being said, here is Sub Sector I
Phlange Sub I Black.jpg
chuck

Back