• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Population variant

The standard 2D6-2 roll for population works fine for Traveller with its long-settled Charted Space, with civilization having risen and fallen several times over the millennia. But many gamers prefer a more recent background, similar to 2300AD or Clement Sector. I am contemplating a variant on determining the population of worlds in such a background.

Space is divided into Regions (similar in size to a subsector). Regions are categorized by the level of development. Worlds close to each other should have a similar level of development. There are 4 settlement levels to choose from: Core, Provincial, Frontier, and Wilderness.

Core: these regions contain the homeworlds of star-faring races, and their largest, most developed colonies. Garden worlds will be well-developed; other worlds will be moderately- to well-developed; homeworlds of minor races will be well-integrated into the larger society.

Provincial: these regions have been colonized for some time. Garden worlds will be moderately- to well-developed; other worlds will by lightly- to moderately-developed; homeworlds of minor races may be integrated into the larger society or may be subjugated.

Frontier: these regions have been recently colonized, usually within the last half-dozen generations of the colonists. Garden worlds will be lightly- to moderately-developed; other worlds will be lightly-developed or not developed at all; homeworlds of minor races may be competing with the settlers (if they have FTL drive), or resentful of the newcomers.

Wilderness: these regions have not yet seen large-scale colonization yet. Worlds without minor races will not be developed, although there may be small undocumented colonies; homeworlds of minor races without FTL may or may not have been contacted by other races.

If FTL has recently been discovered, then a homeworld may be considered Core, and the rest of the region may be Provincial, Frontier, or Wilderness.

In the game 2300AD, the worlds Earth and Tirane are Core, the oldest other colonies would be Provincial, and the newer colonies would be Frontier worlds.

In the Traveller OTU, there are many Core regions, and a LOT of Provincial regions. Even the Spinward Marches would be considered a group of Provincial regions. You would have to go beyond the Vargr Extents, or beyond the Solomani Rim, to get to Frontier regions.

Under this proposed system, as a region is generated, the referee must state the Settlement Level of the region. (Note that, usually, Core regions will not border Frontier or Wilderness regions, and Provincial regions will not border Wilderness regions.)
I am considering changing the population roll to 1D6, then applying the Cepheus Engine mods (listed below), then a mod for the Settlement Level.

Cepheus Engine uses the following mods to the Population roll:
Size <= 2, DM-1
Atmosphere A+, DM-2
Atmosphere 6, DM+3
Atmosphere 5 or 8, DM+1
Hydrographics 0 and Atmosphere 0-2, DM-2

Settlement Level mods:
Core, DM+2
Provincial, DM+1
Frontier, no mod
Wilderness, DM-1

Note that a Homeworld of a Minor Race would always be considered a Core world, as it could have a large population before being contacted by FTL explorers. (A Minor race Homeworld roll would be rolled after the Size/Atmo/Hydro rolls.)

I have not run many simulations yet; I'm hoping someone has entertained a similar notion before and may have thoughts on this.

Answering with eye to Traveller, not Cepheus, but here goes...

Generally I like this idea!

I've been eyeing the Traveller 5 Sophont generation rules and thinking about the pace of expansion of a civilization (and perhaps the ultimate collapse). It seems reasonable to me to look on a starfaring civilization as having a potential exploration radius of about 12 jumps from each type A (or maybe B) starport. That accounts for going out and back again within a year, with maintenance at the end of that year.

I'm not sure what the pace of development of a region would be. I think it would need to be measured in generations though. TNE has stats on the time it takes to double the population of a world, which is an interesting data point.

I'm interested in the time and resources it would take to build or upgrade a starport, since that would be one limiting factor. I think I've only really seen those kinds of rules in Imperium, but maybe someone else has a reference.

Oh this is excellent timing because I have been thinking about something similar. In my case I have been considering making a setting where "known space" is one sector in size. So I would like the central systems to be more populated and generally have higher technology ratings. As you move away from the center I wanted lower star ports, lower population and lower tech. I can see "settlement mods" impacting all three.

Great stuff.

It is similar to how my universe is set up, the most populous system is Sol, with 20 billion, and the other 520 systems split around 23 billion. I like the various generators though, esp for expanded system generation.

You know, I'd forgotten that RTT has some of this in there. I will look at it again. Thanks for the reminder, kilemall!
With my system, I do want to give a sense of each region having the same age of settlements. Sort of like driving across the US from the old East Coast thru the Not-as-old Midwest and into the "younger" West.

I've recently been thinking how the 2d6-2 doesn't make sense historically in the OTU. It does make sense if you're just populating thousands of worlds quickly for a setting (The Golden Age of the Third Imperium), but when you consider the thousands of years the Solomani, Vilani, or Zhodani have been flying around space and settling worlds, there are a lot of world populations that don't make sense, especially those pop 0-2 worlds in a life zone with Atmo. 4-9 and Hydro 4-8.

I like the OP idea for those who are creating a new setting and having the world populations make sense.

An idea for populations that I came up with for myself is 1d6+4 for Garden worlds in the life zone, 1d6+2 for other worlds in the life zone. 1d6 for worlds in the inner zone (all Hydro is 0 for inner zone in T20 world gen), and 1d6+1 for worlds in the outer zone (freezing temps). Even after the Long Night, Garden Worlds with high populations, that regained the ability, would have repopulated nearby worlds for colonization or exploitation of resources, or military/political/trade reasons. This was only for adjusting the populations of the worlds in the Gateway Domain for my personal use to make sense.

One of the things that made me consider this problem was the World Trade Balance which, although broken, didn't make sense for certain world populations on certain world sizes.

are there any pop B worlds using Cephas?

Sorry, was so interested in the OP forgot to pay attention to the Cephas Heading. The Settlement Level Mods are a great idea, thanks for the post.

I've recently been thinking how the 2d6-2 doesn't make sense historically in the OTU. It does make sense if you're just populating thousands of worlds quickly for a setting ....
Sorry, was so interested in the OP forgot to pay attention to the Cephas Heading. The Settlement Level Mods are a great idea, thanks for the post.
Following this for a moment, this is exactly the problem with LBB3 worldgen (and its successors). Keep in mind that the original game scope back in 1977 was basically a two-subsector campaign space, on the frontier, traversed mostly at J-1 to J-3 between good starports.

The weird results (low-pop garden worlds, high-pop but low tech asteroid belts, and such) were intentional and desirable -- it gave the referee something to do in figuring out how to justify the resulting worlds.

This became problematic when applied to sector-sized regions that were written up as having been populated for millennia. A referee can make up explanations for the few outliers within a group of, say, sixty worlds. When faced with the outliers for a whole sector (and the existence of that many oddballs within a subsector, and time for them to have been resolved somehow!) the task becomes overwhelming -- and without active editorial (referee) intervention, it just looks nonsensical.

In using Sectormaker to make a sector, I decide what each planet's population is going to be, based on both the planetary characteristics and what I want the world to be, mainly the latter. I also have been known to change planetary characteristics to match what I want, and maybe move star systems around as well.

In using Sectormaker to make a sector, I decide what each planet's population is going to be, based on both the planetary characteristics and what I want the world to be, mainly the latter. I also have been known to change planetary characteristics to match what I want, and maybe move star systems around as well.
A planetary die-off and regeneration?

Are you familiar with the Cepheus Journal Random Subsector Generator? It has variables for settlement type, as well as the standard subsector density. I've been playing around with it for my next CE game and found it very handy. I've also been referencing the TNE 1248 collapse-recovery mechanics, to model a setting just emerging from a dark age, but it's much more involved.

A planetary die-off and regeneration?
I am not sure what you mean. The sector is to the Rimward of the Solomani area, and is sparsely settled. There are some planets founded by groups seeking a more isolated and less technical environment, along with some earlier involuntary settlements. Then there are a few strange planets, along with one named Karres. Among the earlier alien inhabitants are the Krell and the Bald Space Rovers, along with others. Alien ruins should be approached with great caution.

Are you familiar with the Cepheus Journal Random Subsector Generator? It has variables for settlement type, as well as the standard subsector density. I've been playing around with it for my next CE game and found it very handy. I've also been referencing the TNE 1248 collapse-recovery mechanics, to model a setting just emerging from a dark age, but it's much more involved.
I will be sticking with Sectormaker after looking at the Cepheus Generator. It does what I want.

I was thinking along some of these same lines, using random rolls to set up the planets and then having a pocket empire being a 'core' world, with smaller and lower tech 'colonies' the further out you go. What kinda stumped me was where and how frequently to place the 'core' worlds. Doing it non-randomly works fine-- give a - DM to population and tech the further away from the core world you go (-1 per parsec from core was kinda where I was thinking). I eventually modified my random generation system to limit the tech level in the pocket empire to that of the 'core' planet but left everything else alone. I explained it by a somewhat recent war where people are still rebuilding throughout the star cluster. Some worlds got trashed worse than others, and quite a few are just holding on... A few dozen planets (out of 2400 systems) pretty much dominate (advisory worlds to a cluster-spanning confederation)., and a lot of smaller, weaker systems all over. Computers do speed dice rolling :)

Back