• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Portacomp- How does that 5-key system work

kilemall

SOC-14 5K
I never could figure out back in the day how the 5-key portacomp worked. Did somebody work out or publish how that UI worked?

I never could figure out back in the day how the 5-key portacomp worked. Did somebody work out or publish how that UI worked?

I'm thinking like a PSP, maybe? D-Pad with five symbols on the opposite side?

I've always thought them more function than UI friendliness.

Could be like the existing 5-socket keyboards, where the key is slid, not pushed, giving 4, 6, or 8 values per button.

Or, it could be a menu navigation...

4 arrows and an enter.

Could be like the existing 5-socket keyboards, where the key is slid, not pushed, giving 4, 6, or 8 values per button.

Or, it could be a menu navigation...

4 arrows and an enter.

Hmm, the latter makes more sense, especially as a space thing- one isn't going to be tapping out anything on such a small screen with a suit glove, but menu selection works.

This is what I was about to say. Chorded keyboards go way back to early experiments in the 1970s - they were available as an option for the Xerox Alto workstation. There are some ergonomic advantages to them, as you can hold the keyboard in your hand, and operate it with just one hand.

You can actually still get chorded keyboards for one handed applications1 (or could within living memory), although the idea never really caught on in the mainstream.

1 Stop it at once you filthy minded degenerate.

there's also a variation where each finger goes into a well with 2-5 sensors...

With 4 (UDLR) inputs on 5 fingers, you get 20 inputs; at 5 (UDLRI) per finger, 25. Add chording and you get white a range...

Hmm, I could see chorded keyboards being something very desirable for suits as an override/backup to voice command. But I would expect it more like switching on finger movement sensors in the glove, or tapping on a suit-mounted touchscreen.

Hmm, I could see chorded keyboards being something very desirable for suits as an override/backup to voice command. But I would expect it more like switching on finger movement sensors in the glove, or tapping on a suit-mounted touchscreen.

Foldable film-like keyboard perhaps? Doesn't have to be physically connected to the Portacomp, just unfold it on any flat/curved surface and type away.

project a keyboard image onto some part of the suit helmet visor and tap it. Arrange characters in reverse order horizontally so as not to jam up touch-typists.

Foldable film-like keyboard perhaps? Doesn't have to be physically connected to the Portacomp, just unfold it on any flat/curved surface and type away.

I've used a friend's rubber keyboard many times. (this was early 00's, before bluetooth domination.) It can be almost casually packed up by rolling it up. It's water proofed (at least until a child or fur-person chews upon it). Decidedly better feel than the PCJr or Sinclair chicklet keyboards or the Atari and Sinclair membrane ones. (Reminds me. When I find It again in the stuff, I should restore my TS1000 and see if I can get the Atari 400 to work.)

The real ultimate in go anywhere keyboards, tho', is the scanning laser keyboard from the late 00's or early 2010's... 4" tall 2 or 3 laser device. One draws the keyboard on any flat surface on which the device itself sits . A second does rangefinding in non- optical to locate fingers; ISTR that there were receivers for two separate non-visibles (scanning from different sides) as well as the drawing laser, so it was capable of multiple key detections.

I bought one of those but never got it to work. The Bluetooth wouldn't pair up with anything I owned (multiple OSes both PDA and desktop). Tactile feedback, obviously, would be nil.

I did (and still do) regularly use folding keyboards with phones and tablets, though less so once Chromebooks started having the kind of battery life that once was limited to tablets.

I still haven't found one as good as the original accordion-style Palm folding keyboard, but some have come close.

Back