• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Safe landing field detector

31m9dx.jpg

^ Thought that was Newton's (Kepler's?) FOURTH Law.

Also a Corollary: This is how it is possible to make square corners in space.

Don't forget the tennisball for parking small craft or air/rafts.

Garage tennis ball- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGdkI59e960

Self-deploying garage tennis ball - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldhDmUzZzR4

I'll give a quick summary since there are more ads than there should be:

Tennis ball as above but:
- String attaches to top edge of closed garage door, passing through (but not tied to!) an eyelet screw directly above the point where the tennis ball contacts the windshield.
- The string should have a little slack (maybe an inch or so) but otherwise the ball should be snug up against the eyelet screw in the garage ceiling.
- Open garage door. There will be excess string, so the tennis ball will slide down the car's windshield and likely fall off the car.
- Place a second eyelet screw in the garage ceiling above and behind the edge of the raised garage door (toward its doorway), and route the string through it also. It should be located such that the detour through it takes up all the slack in the string when the car is positioned correctly and the door is in the open position.

Cheesy ASCII art illustration because I'm bored:
Code:
=====================================
 ceiling 0---------------0
          \      string  |
 ___________\            |
/   door     0           |
        ______________   -
       /       |      \ / \ ball
      /        |        \_/
  ---/ __________________\-------
  |   __       |         |  __  |
  |  /  \      |         | /  \ |
  | |    |     |         ||    ||

I'm picturing a far more complex Rube Goldberg scheme for this.

Microcontrollers, sonar position sensors, and a servo-actuated winch?

And I can top that. Use triangulation from WiFi access points to precisely position the tennis ball...

... which is suspended from a quadcopter drone.

6ac2f677e6bcfcf5a93ab0aa809679aa.gif

That is what Imperial Navy engineers came up with after months of design and committee studies refined by various bureaucratic agencies in collaboration with the other services. They say it should only cost about ten billion credits to build the prototype and that should take no more than five to ten years... ;)

Back