• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

SciFi20 Player's Guidebook

hunter

Ancient - Absent Friend
sf20_players_guide.jpg

It's finally here, the first of the SciFi20 main rulebooks, the Player's Guidebook! Everything you need to design, develop, and equip your characters for play. Based on the original rules from the T20 Traveller's Handbook, SciFi20 looks to carry on the game and take it further than before.

Note that if you already own the THB, you don't really need this book though it has a few changes and clarifications in it from the original but remains 100% compatible.

Soon to follow will be rulebooks covering Combat (Personal, Vehicles, and Starships), Design Guides (Vehicles and Starships), as well as worldbuilding and adventuring!

SciFi20 Player's Guidebook

And before anyone gets bent out of shape, I okayed this post with Marc first :)

Looks like theres still a bit of Traveller-specific stuff in the book- the Use Alien Device skill is what I noticed off the bat. Was that intentional?

That would be a modification to the "Use magical device" skill thats standard in d20 rules based games, Its in D&D3-3.5 and in d20 modern. Its a part of the system and not a holdover from T20

Wasn't sure what you meant at first, but then I saw it, I did miss removing and replacing some of the Traveller alien names for that skill. I'll get that changed and updated tonight. Thanks for spotting it. I've been through it pretty thoroughly, but it's possible I missed things. Also note that game mechanics can't be copyrighted, only the expression of those mechanics (ie: how it is written). Then also, much of the T20 system was released as OGL.

Oops. My bad. thought he meant the skill itself! LOL

Hi

I know this question has been asked before but I don't recall if there was ever an answer, so I'll ask again

- What's the deal with the extra arm behind the bald headed guy (with the goatee) on the cover of the book?
- Is it supposed to be a third arm for the big-headed guy?

Thanks

Regards

Pat

I know this question has been asked before...

It (yes, the big guy behind the bald guy) is (or was*) a Sydite. A four armed "genetically altered human believed to have been bred by the Ancients..."

* being this is now supposed to be generic SF and not Traveller I suppose the old description has to have changed a little

It (yes, the big guy behind the bald guy) is (or was*) a Sydite. A four armed "genetically altered human believed to have been bred by the Ancients..."

* being this is now supposed to be generic SF and not Traveller I suppose the old description has to have changed a little

Stats and description have changed, but I always liked the Sydites so I carried them over as the Khuur. Still four-armed, but non-human. The original races were carried over but redone, along with a few new races as samples for creating alien races.

That is also one of my favorite Bryan Gibson pieces on the cover. I always thought it evoked the right feeling for a group of adventurers.

BTW, the Design Manual should be available this weekend sometime. It will include the Computer, Vehicle, and Starship design rules. This one will have a good bit of new stuff that wasn't in the THB such as incorporating the rules from the vehicle TAs as well as introducing new types of FTL drives that can be used including, Jump, Warp, Hyperspace, and others.

Back