• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Settlement of the Spinward Colonies

vegas

SOC-13
In CT:S11 p38 we learn
"While the branches [of Imperial expansion] opened up Corridor and Deneb, the scout service forged links to the Spinward Marches.
"Scout service exploration from Deneb carried survey cruisers through a relatively unpopulated region…
"The first major Imperial establishment in the Spinward Marches was at Mora, settled in 60…"

And In T4:M0 p124 we learn
"One of the largest mass migrations since the post Interstellar Wars Diaspora from Solomani Rim is taking place in what is currently known as the Spinward Colonies [from the Corridor Sector]."

Putting these factoids together could anyone estimate how large this migration is in terms of number of settlers? I wonder if there is data that could be pulled from the TravellerMap or other canon source to help bound the number…

Similarly, can anyone estimate the migration into Corridor and Deneb?

In CT:S11 p38 we learn
"While the branches [of Imperial expansion] opened up Corridor and Deneb, the scout service forged links to the Spinward Marches.
"Scout service exploration from Deneb carried survey cruisers through a relatively unpopulated region…
"The first major Imperial establishment in the Spinward Marches was at Mora, settled in 60…"

And In T4:M0 p124 we learn
"One of the largest mass migrations since the post Interstellar Wars Diaspora from Solomani Rim is taking place in what is currently known as the Spinward Colonies [from the Corridor Sector]."

Putting these factoids together could anyone estimate how large this migration is in terms of number of settlers? I wonder if there is data that could be pulled from the TravellerMap or other canon source to help bound the number…

Similarly, can anyone estimate the migration into Corridor and Deneb?

Just from Khouth Subsector alone, about 10,000,000,000 to 100,000,000,000 Vilani vanish between M0 and the end of the Vargr Campaigns. What proportion migrate is not clear.

Ian subsector is a bit less. How many go voluntarily isn't clear either. On top of which there is migration from the Vilani Pacification Campaigns via Corridor.

Certainly 600,000,000 migrate between 1117 and 1132 so it gives an idea of what can be achieved

The re-development of Jump-3 and the peaceful alliance with Vland opens up Corridor in M:0.

The other question might be "why all the way to the Marches?"
The answer is likely that there are fewer Vargr. Corridor and Deneb are dominated by the Vargr, so many suitable colony worlds would need a lot more defending. The Marches, however, offer an odd island of stability around what we now consider one of the least stable powers in the region: the Sword Worlds. They were already present, as was a veneer of Zhodani influence, so the Vargr were keeping their distance.
Mora was a safe bet, far from the Vargr bases and, relatively speaking, near the edge of the Rift. By comparison, Rhylanor and Regina were higher risk with respect to Vargr incursions, but were also in, or closer to, the Zhodani Shadow. The neutral zone established between the Vargr, Sword Worlds, and Zhodani was, I think, already in place, and is why the Imperial border and its oldest and strongest march worlds are where they are.

In the first century of the Third Imperium, I suspect some of that migration is in-fill around the new Imperium. Many worlds with small populations would have used the two centuries of the Twilight to determine that they weren't viable, and would have fled to the bigger worlds. That would be reversing in some regions between the late war period of the Sylean Republic and the end of the Campaigns around year 200.

One factor that has changed since CT: there are a lot more alien races recognized now. When the first colonists arrived at Regina is was already a world of millions of Amindii. Junidy would have been similar, with perhaps a few billion Llellewyloly. Deneb is home to quite a few natives as well. The initial colonization efforts that reached the Marches in M:0 probably numbered in the tens of millions collectively, with many more to follow as Deneb and Corridor became safer to cross and were colonized as well.

I will disagree to some extent with the idea that mass migrations account for the differences between 1117 and 1132. The early Rebellion accounted for millions of deaths, the Black War billions, and Virus killed several trillion just in the Imperium. Population hubs attracted both Black War and Virus attention, so the Imperial population dropped in billion sophont increments on a weekly basis between 1129 and 1132.

You could, if you have the Vilani and Vargr book, determine what the old colonization line was as one of the maps in it has the dotmap of the Ziru Sirka at its height. Because of Vilani intentionally closing their borders and later the Vargr coming into their own and rounding the Windhorn, one could make a likely case that did not go further than the border presented. Yes there are the references that the Vilani met Zhodani explorers, I do not think the Vilani explored further the borders shown. Especially if Terran First Contact is representative of Imperial practices.

You could, if you have the Vilani and Vargr book, determine what the old colonization line was as one of the maps in it has the dotmap of the Ziru Sirka at its height.

At their height, the Vilani were still only Jump 2 capable, and had forgotten or suppressed the art of deep space jumps. It is also quite possible that their jump drives were still incredibly inefficient in the way that led to the "tradition" of jump dimming.

If you look at the map of spinward Vland Sector and into Corridor, it becomes readily apparent that getting through Corridor with Jump 2 just plain sucks. The entire "corridor", including what is now the Vargr part of it, is so tenuous that Jump 2 ships have only four routes through Corridor D and Provence P. Three of those can be blockaded against J2 at single systems, Chosen (Corr 2603), Nuplae (Corr 2606), and Naagasa (Corr 2511), forcing J2 traffic into the path through Provence O and P. If you additionally blockade Arr Laen (Prov 2240), anyone on the Provence path is forced deeper into Vargr territory...

The Vilani of the day were very money minded. If the only thing coming back from their expeditions behind the Claw are ransom demands, they would stop sending expeditions.

Does anyone know the Imperial population of Domain of Deneb and the Corridor Sector? I can't seem to find that data on the wiki and while it is embedded in the TravellerMap it is inaccessible to me.

I have tried the wiki. You got a page you know that has it?

Deneb sector page says 633,063 millon for the sector (ie 633 billion), in the list of sector data on the right hand side of the text.

Corridor has 267,882 million

...but I have just realised you only want the data for imperial worlds, and to discount the vargr worlds on the coreward edge.

yhea, short of old school pen and paper math to subtract them, I don't know. the data isn't set up in a way to let you pull out that number.

Back