• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Milieu Overview: The Rebellion (1116-1129)

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
Thinking through some summary text for clarity but also brevity, ranging from 1116 to 1129. Not a timeline, but, well, time is important here.

I'm going to try to chunk the time up in a manner less granular than that of Survival Margin.

Early Rebellion (1116-1123). The Imperium splits into factions with active warfare, perhaps resembling Barracks Emperors-style fighting. 1116 and 1117 are very similar to the Golden Era, except for the assassination, and possible re-activation of detached duty personnel, but travel between factions is generally doable.

After 1117, travel between factions becomes increasingly difficult and unsafe. In 1118, Imperial naval fleets withdraw from Corridor and Deneb, allowing Vargr raiders to conquer and hold Imperial territory (of course, that poses a movement problem). Each faction contracts to a number of safe subsectors, surrounded by a growing no man’s land of frontier or wilderness. By 1122, failing life support on worlds in the wilderness begins the Doom Trade. Also around 1122, the Wave reaches the coreward sectors of the Zhodani Consulate and Vargr Extents.

This phase ends with a series of deep and highly destructive strikes against strategic faction worlds (read: industry and high-tech), spelling doom for technically-dependent worlds in the wilderness.

Hard Times (1124-1129). Interstellar trade ceases in the wilderness, and infrastructure deteriorates fast. It is improbable that a ship can safely cross from the core of one faction to another.

Beyond 1129, the OTU transitions to the Virus quasi-milieu. However, Hard Times can be extended, using Chuck Gannon's suggestions, or a "Wounded Colossus" setup.

Last edited:
The "point" of my milieu overview is to give myself and my players some brief but useful guidelines for playing within a milieu.

The Golden Era Largely Applies. Unless otherwise noted, states, megacorporations, sophonts, modes of play, ship sizes and rules, and careers are unchanged from the Golden Era. Each referee can decide to upend any of these, but canonically the significant change is to player character safety, and to the worlds of Charted Space themselves as the Imperium breaks up.

Largest PC relevant structures. The Imperium has split into faction-states, increasingly independent and cut off from one another as the years progress.
  1. Deneb.
  2. Vland.
  3. Antares.
  4. Strephon's Worlds.
  5. Core.
  6. Ilelish.
  7. Margaret's Stronghold.
  8. Daibei.
  9. The Solomani Confederation.
Modes of Play. 1116, and perhaps even 1117, is like the Golden Era. The main difference is in the news of the assassination, and the beginning of military movement of fleets. As the wilderness and Doom Trade expands, "nail missions" emerge as an additional common mode.

Travel Guidelines. Starports outside of the faction cores become increasingly unreliable for repairs and spare parts. Data on these areas of space becomes increasingly unreliable, as well. Piracy in the wilderness is likely to be rampant towards the end.

Adapting Careers. Careers change based on context. For example, naval characters are from a colonial or faction navy.

Equipment Guidelines. Outside of faction cores, equipment becomes increasingly unreliable, and new equipment becomes harder to find.

Last edited:
By decoupling this from Virus, I intend to allow Rebellion to potentially match up with a Virus-free milieu, such as a Wounded Colossus setting, with fewer changes.

I take it you have seen Charles Gannon's proposals for how to follow up Hard Times before Frank invoked Virus?

Some of his proposed concepts do make it into TNE...

All I remember seeing was the Wounded Colossus idea, which I thought was a fan idea from the 90s. The Chuck Gannon thing might or might not vaguely ring a bell... gimme a reference and I'll look it up.

Here is the thread from 2008, I think the zip files still work if not pm me and I will send you them.

An awful lot of his proposals end up in TNE in one form or another. Let me reiterate a comment made on the thread that the zip files are in the wrong order.

Note he mentions that this is all the post MWM at GDW era too. This is why Marc knows so little about late MT and TNE.

Back