• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Solomani J-3 fighter. Feedback requested

wbyrd

SOC-13
Alright, trying to get the look right for a Solomani fighter. I went with a style that looks like an old earth fighter, complete with the wings and fins favored by Solomani designers....there aren't many references so I had to make a lot up on my own....

when I designed this one i made it a tough heavily reinforced fighter, able to take a pretty serious beating without falling apart. I took a cue from US fighters in the second world war, slower less maneuverable, but very rugged......stifle yer groans :p..it's been a fairly consistent trend so I thought at least one designer/planner would go with it.

I went with this design philosophy since it would probably be outnumbered, and the pilots would be higher value low ranking party members..since this is a front line fighter that's fairly expensive and needs a skilled pilot to use to its fullest.

even if they are sometimes a bit troublesome...the aggressive nature needed for a fighter pilot might not be as reliable as the party would like. Or at least in the rough draft I am thinking of...

as usual feel free to critique, nit pick suggest changes, either in design, style, or background...do your part for a better future project...gripe early, gripe often.

f_3__ready_by_wbyrd-d986lu2.png

SytemNotesRatingtonscost
hullHull/structure0/1201.2
configurationstreamlined------0.12
ArmorBonded superdense1221.2
AerofinsNegates atmospheric maneuver DM---10.1
Reinforced hull---+3 hull20.2
ArmoredBulkheadsM-drive,cockpit,pwerplant, turret---1.140.228
M-drive Type sK Tl-12, 75% Tonnage, x200% cost T103.7522
SPowerplantType sL---4.58
Fuelone day---0.2---
Cockpitpilot---1.50.1
ElectronicsBasic Military---21
ComputerModel III15---2
Turret Single fixed, Pulse Laser TL-12 Accurate, High yield -1 DM11.6
Escape Pod installed with cockpit---0.50.1
Cargo Holdcan hold fuel or bombs---0.41---
Basic FrameStandard Design 10% discount---2033.8302Mcr
Total Cost:40.8032 Mcr
With 25% bulk military discount 30.6024Mcr

J-3e Block 4 “Náshdóítsoh” (cougar)
Common reporting name “Nash”or “Cat”

Overview
Named after an ancient tribal protector spirit. The J-3 is an advanced fighter designated as a battlespace Superiority fighter by both Imperium Fleet and Solomani Navy data files. It is heavy for a light front line fighter with less acceleration than most light fighters. However its armor, internal reinforcements, and strengthened hull make it a difficult target to destroy with most point defense and small craft weaponry.

Issued to reliable Navy squadrons, and Solsec armed forces, the Cougar is a lethal threat to most small craft poorly armed criminal vessels, and scout craft likely to encounter a patrol force of fighters while on the fringes of Solomani Confederation space.

Introduced after several losses attributed to poor performance by system defense squadrons, and improper screening of enemy attack craft the J-3 was adopted as a primary defensive fighter to combat swarms of lighter fighters employed against fleet formations.

In typical deployment squadrons and flights of j-3 are deployed in patterns around the perimeter of a fleet, or other formation to engage enemy fighters and destroy any strike craft deployed against a formation by the enemy. They lack the acceleration to intercept many smaller fighters which means that the fighter is often supplemented by faster less rugged light fighters and interceptors to deal with any force that breaches the primary defense line established by the J-3.

In addition J-3 squadrons are often assigned to system defense squadrons, and patrol units which are tasked with suppressing piracy, smuggling, and insurgency against the Confederation. These are often seen as less glamourous, punishment assignments by the sometimes overly aggressive pilots, and results in occasional discipline issues. Despite the lack of enthusiasm for patrol and system defense assignments J-3 squadrons seldom show any lack of enthusiasm when a chance to engage anyone who fires on them.

In combat the ability to absorb damage, and withstand many of the weapons mounted by light and medium fighters allows pilots to maneuver aggressively ignoring return fire. This suits the attitude of most pilots assigned to the fighter, but often leads to J-3 pilots engaging without proper regard for enemy firepower.

Often commanders must keep J-3 squadrons on a tight leash, and Solsec monitors J-3 squadrons closely to insure the pilots do not disrupt the discipline of other units they operate alongside of. As a result J-3 squadrons often serve as dumping grounds for less reliable experienced pilots, and have a reputation as discipline units. J-3 pilots as a response have become rather untrusting of personnel new to a squadron and often fail to pass on lessons learned in combat to new pilots until they have earned the squadrons trust.

Technical

J-3 are practically immune to regular missiles and laser weapons. While they lack the acceleration to outpace, or out maneuver missiles they are usually safe against a normal missile payloads. Tis also applies to beam and pulse lasers. However particle beams, rail guns, and other heavier weapons can punch through a J-3s armor or inflict radiation damage to the pilot.

The J-3 is not armed with any secondary anti-personnel weapons, or anti-vehicle weapons. This is usually not a problem since its pulse laser is more than powerful enough to destroy anything short of a Main Battle tanks. However if its laser is disabled, the J-3 cannot engage targets with lighter weaponry.

Financial

Game Use
TheJ-3 Is a tough costumer, and might be tough enough to scrap with a lightly armed and armored starship. It’s intended as an aggressor fighter, used by security forces enemy forces, and possibly a well-funded and armed trouble maker supported by a certain political entity.

It should be used around valuable, important systems or targets, or as a mobile force to engage fighters, etc…in a force on force combat.

It’s tough enough to pose a serious threat if ignored, or if there aren’t weapons aboard to get through its armor.

It’s slow compared to other light fighters so it can be outmaneuvered, or outran, or simply sidestepped and left in the dust by something with a bit more acceleration.

If a player gets his hands on one it should be part of a grander plan, and not easy to acquire or keep. it’s a highly valued asset for the forces that operate it, and they will guard them carefully and would react poorly to seeing one in the hands of an unauthorized operator.

Last edited:
I don't see its armor listed, though I assume it has it for your explanations...

BTW, when I read J-3 fighter I htough on a fighter with jump drives for J-3 :devil:. Obviously not the case.

It has 2 tons of Bonded superdense..... 12pts armor.

didn't catch the J-3 alternate meaning....oops.

I would love to do a Jump Fighter, but sadly it's not possible...petition the powers that be for small craft jump drives :D

didn't catch the J-3 alternate meaning....oops.
I would love to do a Jump Fighter, but sadly it's not possible...petition the powers that be for small craft jump drives :D

1. Use the JD-A.
2. Add fittings for a drop tank that will bring the volume to 100 dT, but do not install a drop tank.
3. Add an inflatable fuel bladder to the drop tank fitting that is the same size as the drop tank.
4. recess the volume required for the deflated fuel bladder into the hull of the ship (perhaps using the design for an air lock as a guide).

When your [let's say 50 dTon] small craft wants to jump, it inflates the [50 dTon] bladder and suddenly becomes a 100 dTon ship with PP-A and JD-A.
When it arrives at its destination, it deflates the bladder and becomes a 50 dTon small craft.

[Rules stretched a bit, but none were broken.]

Last edited:
Constructive Criticism:
As a space/atmosphere capable fighter, I would expect it to operate in the higher range of speeds (high altitude, hypersonic flight) ... greater speed means greater lift for the same wing area ... so it wants/needs shorter wings.

I would shorten the X wings a lot (perhaps 1/4 their current length) and shorten the swept wings a little (perhaps 1/2 their current length).

What about reducing the cargo hold to install anti-personnel weaponry?

According MGT:HG page 61 it could mount up to 2 of them, and 1-2 fusion guns like the one in G-carrier shown in CB page 103 could be a nice addition, in atmospheric role.

As I don't own the vehicles book, I don't know how much space would they need...

1. Use the JD-A.
2. Add fittings for a drop tank that will bring the volume to 100 dT, but do not install a drop tank.
3. Add an inflatable fuel bladder to the drop tank fitting that is the same size as the drop tank.
4. recess the volume required for the deflated fuel bladder into the hull of the ship (perhaps using the design for an air lock as a guide).

When your [let's say 50 dTon] small craft wants to jump, it inflates the [50 dTon] bladder and suddenly becomes a 100 dTon ship with PP-A and JD-A.
When it arrives at its destination, it deflates the bladder and becomes a 50 dTon small craft.

[Rules stretched a bit, but none were broken.]
Now that would work/ great visual impression of the bladder deploying to surround the ship, like the landing bags on that mars probe...until all that shows are the bladder segments inflated into ball with probes sticking out here and there and an opening for the drive systems to be uncovered.

of course most of the time carrying around a 20 tons of dead weight such as a Jumpdrive A would be a real deal breaker.But if you were building a life pod for a starship, a small craft with 50 acceleration couches, 25 tons, a type starship power plant, cockpit, computer, and basic type SA reaction drives with one hour of fuel to get the pod away from the ship.

lets see, drive and power plant 14 tons...20 tons for acceleration couches for 40 people....cockpit...1.5....fuel 11 tons ( jump + 2 weeks reactor make if 2 tons, for safety margin so 12 tons) ...type C Gravitic drive 2.5 tons. 2 tons for bladder system...Overweight by 2 tons....so drop the M-drive..replace either with a 0.5 ton reaction drive using reactor fuel for reaction mass...add heat shielding and streamlining so it can make an powered atmospheric entry..and yer done

Passengers are given a dose of slow drug to pt them out, an autodoc on the ship administers antidote..pilot first (a day before the pod emerges from Jump) pilot then locates a safe landing spot, gives the ship a gentle nuge to get it going in the right direction..and there ya go.Jump 1 40 person Escape boat, in a 50 ton hull..

I was thinking off using a fifty ton sled, and a 50 ton hull combined with a docking clamp, and a system Linkage.

Back