• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Supplement 10: neighboring subsector name changes

In preparing a Second Survey data file for the Solomani Rim, I found that some of the neighboring subsector names in Supplement 10 have different names on the Traveller Map site:
  • the Gardarur subsector on the map on page 9 was renamed to Anise;
  • the Walpurgis subsector on the map on page 17 was renamed to Kline;
  • the Fugue subsector on the map on page 27 was renamed to New Mars.
Were the new subsector names established in subsequent editions of Traveller, or were these subsectors renamed back in the day (and I’ve only recently noticed these changes)?

That first one can be written off as Vilani vs Solomani, at least.
"Walpurgis" has connotations that were probably best overwritten.
No idea about the third.

Morency (P) was also renamed Cluster. The Supplement 10 names were overwritten -- probably inadvertently -- in Traveller's Digest 14. For whatever reason, the TD names stuck. Over the years people have proposed that the differences reflect different Solomani and Imperial naming conventions. In my own campaign, the Supp 10 names were the "original" and renamed by the Solomani to the TD names. The Imperial nobility persists in using the old names, so the capital of the Duchy of Walpurgis is Kline.

That first one can be written off as Vilani vs Solomani, at least.
“Gardarur” struck me as being related to Old Norse garðr [fence, wall, courtyard, (strong)hold]. I didn’t consider a Vilani source — I’d’ve expected a doubled vowel somewhere in the name for that.

The Supplement 10 names were overwritten — probably inadvertently — in Traveller’s Digest 14. For whatever reason, the TD names stuck.
Thanks for the answer! I haven’t read any issues of The Traveller’s Digest (perhaps they were published after the mid-1980s?), so that would explain my ignorance (in this case, anyway ;)).

Back