• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Sylean Federation Campaign

I am preparing to build a campaign based on the Sylean Federation, it would be a time before the birth of the Third Imperium. Any Ideas on how to build in this idea? Please send your feedback.

Hmmm, if I recall correctly Traveller's Digest 9-11 had information on Sylea.

Competitors of the Sylean Federation were the Interstellar Confederacy and the Chanestin Kingdom.

Info on the Interstellar Confederacy were also published in GURPS format in one of the 'Space Atlas' series.

Get a double-check on the Traveller's Digests if you're considering getting them - long time since I seen them, and my memory has been getting wors...wor...er... badder. :)

Starviking

The "Milieu Zero Campaign", a nice hardcover filled with background, would be helpful for laying out the setting.

These sourcebooks are limited on the Federation and focused on the Imperium. I guess I may have to fill in the gaps.

Traveller Wiki

The Traveller Wiki has the following:

http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/Interstellar_Confederacy
http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/Chanestin_Kingdom
http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/Sylean-Chanestin_war
http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/Sylean_Federation

Seems to be a good overview from what I remember of my Traveller's Digest.

One note though - there is the occasional nonsense that creeps into some Traveller backstory. In -200 the Chanestins have only one functional interstellar ship remaining. This suggests that they can't produce jump-capable ships.

Wind forward one hundred years and they're conquering Sylean worlds. :-/

Starviking

I bought the Milieu Zero PDF and you can go to RPGNow and
download the TOC. If the Table of Contents isn't available,
here's a small excerpt...

Table of Contents
INTRODUCTION ..................................... 4
CHAPTER 1 : ANTECEDENTS OF THE THIRD IMPERIUM .... 5
The Fall of Civilization ......................... 5
Last Decades of the Long Night ................... 5
Sylea’s Rise ..................................... 7
Economic Pressures ............................... 7
Chanestin Kingdom ................................ 9
Interstellar Confederacy ......................... 10
Establishment of the Third Imperium .............. 11

For $7.00 it's hard to go wrong. I really like it.

These sourcebooks are limited on the Federation and focused on the Imperium. I guess I may have to fill in the gaps.

In addition, I've heard that the First Survey book is filled with errors. Not sure if people know this or not.

So if you're planning on using that book for some of the campaign areas you might have to rely on other sources for data :)

Mike

Great minds think alike! (Mine just seems to be a little slower.)

I am preparing to build a campaign based on the Sylean Federation, it would be a time before the birth of the Third Imperium. Any Ideas on how to build in this idea? Please send your feedback.

I realize it's been a while since you posted this. But recently I've been thinking of doing something similar. In fact, I've discussed it in other threads. And at the risk of repeating myself, I've noticed that in both the Milieu 0, and First Survey books, there are only nineteen worlds that are labeled "Sylean Federation." I have taken that to mean those are the original few worlds that banded together to become the Sylean Federation, (circa -650 Imperial.)

What you might be interested in would be the discussion in Milieu 0 about the governmental structure of the Sylean Federation, before Cleon's "coup," on pages 42-45.

This includes a description of the world of Sylea itself, which I have found very interesting. In the written description, (p. 45,) it mentions that Sylea has a population of 14 billion. The UWP data in the back of the book, (p. 99,) lists the population closer to 30 billion. (Frankly, I'm probably going to run with the latter figure.) Right now, in real life, as I write this, the population of the Earth has surpassed a "mere" 7 billion. And there are some pretty crowded cities on the planet right now. (Think New Delhi.) Now imagine four times that.

Also, that makes Sylea have a greater population than the rest of the Federation combined, at this point.

Now, I'm not sure how well the author's discussion of the planet Sylea was vetted when it was written. But he made some very interesting statements. (I may not use all of these ideas in my campaign, but they are certainly food for thought.)

From page 44:
"Of these, eighty percent are primarily racial Vilani, eleven percent are Solomani, six percent are native Syleans, and the remaining three percent consists of a mixture of various human and non-human minor races."

Eighty percent are Vilani? That's very interesting, and I could see how a Referee could do a lot with that. First of all, that would mean the three (or four) Vilani Bureaus/Megacorporations are going to have, (in the words of Donald Trump,) a huuuggggeee influence on both society and the government of the Sylean Federation.

By the way, those Bureaus are listed on page 54 -- Makhidkarun, Naasirka, and Sharurshid. (The forth, Zirunkariish, doesn't form until year -425.)

It is my interpretation that these are "Megacorporations" in name only. These Bureaus are the old government of the First Imperium, the Vilani "Grand Empire of the Stars." Hundreds of years ago, they used to be in charge. And, when the Sylean Federation re-contacts the Vilani in -495, they are(!) in charge of the new Ziru Sirka, now rising from the ashes of the Long Night.

When they meet, how do you think that's going to work out? Is the star-spanning Sylean Megacorporation Naasirka, just going to meet the star-spanning Vilani Bureau Naasirka, join hands, sing Kum-Ba-Yah, and everything will be unicorns and rainbows? Or is one of them going to tell the other, "we're in charge?" That may not go over well. In fact, I would think that might lead to some friction. Perhaps a hostile take-over? With guns?

Regardless, there is some very good background about Vilani customs, government, and even cuisine, on pages 47-50 of Milieu 0. And if 80% of the population of Sylea is Vilani...

And then there was this statement: "Syleans are otherwise unremarkable among humans, other than the high incidence of albinism in the population, (almost ten percent of all Syleans are albinos, a result of a limited original gene pool)..." (p. 45)

What's that math work out to be: 30 billion x 6% x 10% = 180 million? Did I do that right? That's one albino person per every 167 people! In real life, that number, in the United States, is more like one in 17,000. That's a huuuggggeee incidence of this rather rare recessive trait! I sincerely intend to take this idea and run with it in my campaign!

Anyway, these are a few of the ideas I've been toying with. :)

Last edited:
Now I'm really interested in breaking out my "Milieu 0" book out again and see what I can get a group of players into. Thank you for the ideas!

It is worth noting that the "Milieu Zero" and "Milieu Zero Campaign" are different books, with the latter being cleaned up and more helpful.

The expansion numbers by sector and decade are not of a lot of use for a -30 campaign, but do still provide some hints about the directions the Syleans were working in leading up to Year Zero. A sector that already has a 20% contact rate in Y0 has probably been a focus for some time, which may manifest as border wars in those areas, or perhaps attempts to get around a war elsewhere.

You will want to decide which direction Chanestin is in, as there are two worlds in Core with the name of their capital. Chanestin is the last of the really dogged foes of the Syleans prior to Y0, so knowing where they are will shape a Y -30 map in important ways.

Back