• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T20 Consolidated Errata

...Although it is reasonable to state that Hunter Gordon WAS QLI, in his own words he could not have done it without me. Hunter handled mechanics of getting books laid out and printed, I did the creative and editorial side.
Note that I had absolutely no control over business decisions or order fufilment. What I did for QLI was to create material and oversee the product line. I also edited items written by others to make them comprehensible. So, if you want to say that QLI 'was' Hunter Gordon, that's fair enough. But QLI's product line... that was me.

No offense intended MJD. If I wasn't clear, I'd meant from a management, concept view point. Hunter's efforts in T20 breathed new life into Traveller and I'd like to believe that things ended on an off note because of his health issues. Your work is without a doubt, brilliant. I on the other hand, needed to clarify that some of us we're not developers but merely keeping the flame lit on COTI.

Hello again MJD,

We had some good ideas that never came to fruition, such as the 4-part Grand Adventures storyline dealing with Deadspace and the politics of the region, the Solomani Rim War and some other stuff.

One of the revelations was the Wanderers were a major race (Hunter's idea, agreed by Marc, developed by me) and their development of a better jump drive than the Vilani had led to them being scrubbed out of the region's history. Never got to tell that story, which is a shame.

I have no doubt that had things not fallen apart all the unpublished material would have been very good. Thank you for the information about what night have been.

No offence taken, I'd just prefer to make sure that what is remembered is actually true.

I've read quite a few versions of what happened that some folks seem very happy to keep repeating, but which seem to be based on a work of fiction in which I'm some kind of epic bad guy.

No offence taken, I'd just prefer to make sure that what is remembered is actually true.

I've read quite a few versions of what happened that some folks seem very happy to keep repeating, but which seem to be based on a work of fiction in which I'm some kind of epic bad guy.

Well, you do run around beating people up for fun. :rofl:
[Martial arts reference, folks.]

... and I only say that because an ocean separates us. :)

[Seriously, It is a good thing when the record is set straight.
The world has far more sad stories and far fewer villains than most people think.]

Morning again PDT MJD,

Your information has some similarity to some other designers and authors for Traveller and a couple of other games and/or companies that have disappeared. I apparently missed the finger pointing when QLI folded, my guess was that similar events took place that caused Marc Miller to fold GDW. Which goes to show everyone how much I pay attention to things.

I did get a few... interesting... mails berating me for stabbing QLI in the back.

According to one of them (and let's just point out that this is not true....) I deliberately sabotaged QLI because I felt that a D20 version undermined the purity of Traveller. Others claimed it was a coup attempt on my part, hoping to get control over the Traveller universe.

The truth is rather more mundane, which perhaps explains why this sort of thing got made up.

... based on a work of fiction in which I'm some kind of epic bad guy.

I was unaware of any emails or efforts to pin anything on you. Sorry, to hear that one. Certainly it was not a forum discussion. I think it's more the constant effort to detail history in a summary.

I've been on the brunt end of doing some work in the GDW days and getting not much more than a nod. It seems to be an industry thing.

On a positive note, have you considered restarting the T20 product line through MgT?

...my guess was that similar events took place that caused Marc Miller to fold GDW. Which goes to show everyone how much I pay attention to things.

That is a completely different story. GDW was being crushed by a competitive market and the expense of producing products with the equipment they had. Marc had left to get another job, etc. This story is also detailed in other threads.

There have been things said on this board about my involvement with QLI that are simply not true, and sadly some of them are now believed as the real version of events. Not least because of who controlled these boards.

The idea of redoing the t20 materials via Mongoose had occurred to me but the situation is .... complex.

Hello savage,

That is a completely different story. GDW was being crushed by a competitive market and the expense of producing products with the equipment they had. Marc had left to get another job, etc. This story is also detailed in other threads.

Thank you for indicating that the information I had was incorrect. However, my understanding was that a rumor got started about GDW that coupled with the competitive market and production issues you mention caused GDW to close shop.

I apparently missed the threads that covered the true story of GDW going out of business and since my search attempts on the COTI forums are more unsuccessful, I'll stand corrected with the material you provided.

Back