• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

THE EXPANSE and Classic Traveller Play

creativehum

SOC-14 1K
As I noted down in Random Static, I just started watching this series. (It just became free on Amazon Prime. I plowed through four episodes last night. It was kind of pokey at first, but I love how the tension and plot is driving forward right now.)

Two things stood out for me immediately about the setting in terms of how I envision Traveller play working out

[Note: There are SPOILERS in this post]
[Note: This is my interpretation of how I'd Referee the game. I'm not challenging how you should play.]

1. Death. One of the things I'm seeing is that this show may or may not keep everyone alive by the time it is all over. And that's fine! A character who is a lead ends up dead... and then a new featured character shows up. Clearly, this is the new PC the Player just rolled up!

2. Quick thinking crisis-solving. There were several times during the show when a character had to come up with a solution on the fly. (I'm thinking of a character with a broken 02 system.) This is the sort of stuff I'd be looking to offer the Players as a Referee if it makes sense: a tense crisis which demands a solution that I as the Referee do not know the answer to.

I would be looking to the Players come up with an answer, and the possibilities are infinite, really. This is why I am not concerned about the limited skill list in Classic Traveller. The list of skills does not limit the list of solutions possible for the Players. And, specifically, as I see Classic Traveller as part of the mid-70s RPG play, I expect the Player skill to be doing a lot of the heavy lifting as opposed to a roll against character abilities to be doing all the work.

So, a Player says, "I'm going to share my oxygen supply off my vacc suit with this guy so he doesn't go brain dead."

a) Awesome. That's a compelling and cool solution. We didn't need to make a roll to see if the PC figured out an idea. The Player came up with an idea. That's great. Now lets see what happens using the rules. In some cases we might not even need a roll. But this seems tricky.

b) Is that a vacc suit roll? A medical roll? Does either skill apply? Who knows? That's why I see the CT rules not focus on skills, but on Throws. Sometimes the Throw has a DM from a skill, sometimes it doesn't. That's the looseness of the system for me, a feature not a bug:

The Classic Traveller Throw System:
2D6 +/- DM ≥ Throw Set by the Referee

The DMs could come from almost any source, as per the text: skill expertise rating, available tools, situation, pertinent characteristics, as well as established background, previous details of play that inform the PC, and so on.

Also, what would the roll be about? Whether or not the PC jams the tube properly ins't that interesting to me. I thin the scene illustrated the more interesting crisis point: Will the PC be able to modulate the shared air flow well enough to keep them both alive?

A roll then, with a Throw of 8. As Referee I'd say either Medical or Vacc Suit expertise would serve as +DMs. Failure means one or both men end up suffering hypoxia (roll randomly to determine this result if the Throw fails.)

I use this moment as an example of "play" to illustrate as to why I don't think Players don't need countless skill in order to come up solutions to problems in play. Again, a) Player Skill over Character Ability, and b) a loose Throw system that can handle any situation that the Player and Referee want to determine.

As another example, let's say the Player Characters come across a fragment of poetry from an alien civilization that might lead them the ruins they seek.

There is no expertise for "Real Language" in Classic Traveller. This is great! This means that the bread crumb clue in front of them can't be solved with a blunt die roll. It means the Players need to make choices, take action, do things.
  • They could see if there are any texts that are available to help them translate the language. (Probably not, as an easy translation guide would rob the poem of the exotic alien quality it is supposed to possess.)
  • They could go to a university and work for several weeks in the library to sort out the clues. (A safe choice, but it will take time for both time and travel. We'd make a roll to see how long it took based off collective INT and EDU.)
  • They could track down a linguist who has studied the language.
  • They might have to track down the linguist who has been captured by their competitors. (Cool, adventure!)
  • They could seek out a cult based on the traditions of the alien race and see if they could enlist the cult's help. (Maybe! There will be a price! What will the cult ask in return.)

The list could go on -- in part because I have no idea what the Players might come up with as a plan.

But the important thing is that at no point does the lack of a skill become a gatekeeper in any way. The Player Characters can keep moving forward in countless ways. As a Referee my job is to serve as an impartial adjudicator of the world, translating their actions and choices to the world, and translating back the world's response.

Sometime I will know what the response is without needing to roll. ("You insert the tube from your suit into his breathing hose.")

And sometimes I'm not sure what the response will be and a Throw of the dice is made (not a skill roll, but an indifferent Throw of the dice influenced by any particular DMs, including, sometimes, the PC's expertise) to determine the outcome of the choice or action. ("You now have to see how well you handle alternating the flow of O2 between the two of you by squeezing and releasing the tube...")

What with my current "hard" Sci Fi obsession I need to take a look at this show. I know it's been around awhile.

Off topic a bit but speaking of Traveller-like media entertainment, I'd love to see a film adaptation of Dumarest, maybe the closest Hollywood would ever come to emulating CT. Then again, they'd probably end up having Vin Diesal star in it :(

"Spartan"?

I've only read three of the books so far, but each had unique landscapes, strange-man made environments, and some really compelling action set-piece sequences.

I think the books might better serve a pulpy tv series -- but I don't think they'd for visual strength. I'd love to hear more about what you mean. I mean, if I'm reading you correctly DUNE would be visually boring too. But I may be misunderstanding.

David Lynch's Dune is an interesting visualization, and I suspect it's stuck with us, but the story has no flow, which may explain the lack of spice production.

The dialogue and the actors are so static, that you probably could have just drawn matchsticks to represent them.

New episodes will start again in January. Great show, very much like the Jovian Chronicles setting (if you get rid of the JC mecha).

David Lynch's Dune is an interesting visualization, and I suspect it's stuck with us, but the story has no flow, which may explain the lack of spice production.

The dialogue and the actors are so static, that you probably could have just drawn matchsticks to represent them.

I am a huge Lynch fan, but I won't be defending his DUNE.

It looks like Denis Villeneuve (who just directed ARRIVAL) is signing on to do a new version of DUNE as soon as he finishes production on BLADERUNNER 2049.

I've read the script he might use. It's a really good adaptation!

It's FAR more accurate to the descriptions in the book visually than Scify's miniseries
The Scify Miniseries is more accurate to the text dialogue and tech wise, but is visually WAY off. (The sietches being open air is from much later in the timeline. Centuries later, after the greening.)

It looks like Denis Villeneuve (who just directed ARRIVAL) is signing on to do a new version of DUNE as soon as he finishes production on BLADERUNNER 2049.

I was going to post this as well. I just saw Arrival last night, with a Q&A afterwards with Denis, his editor and the screenwriter. Denis described taking the job for the Blade Runner sequel as "dangerous." 😉 He wouldn't say anything about a Dune remake though. Favorite quote of the night - "If I am making a movie on my iPhone about a grandmother on the corner or a $200 million sci-fi adventure, to me it's still the same movie. It's a story of a person's journey."

Regarding The Expanse, I've loved the books for several years and have found great inspiration in them for developing individual systems IMTU. I'm very impressed with what SyFy has done with the material and definitely looking forward to season 2.

As for CT task rolls, well... I think the pilot of the Rocinante is at least skill-2 😉

I can't agree with this, except maybe for Paul. Kyle was wrong for Paul in many ways. Not saying they were all that great in general, but hardly matchsticks. Most of them were seasoned character actors, who tend to have some color.

I think the many actors who seemed to have been told to "act like you have a stick up your ass," Stilgar, the Mentats, Pauls mom and dad, mostly seemed to manage to make that very thing over the top in their seriousness. Especially Stilgar. "I will take...the manboy...UH..." Many sort of cartoonish beats, for good for bad.

I do like a lot of the scenery and interiors from the movie. They actually helped me a lot in visualizing the Dune universe, something I had a hard time doing when I was a kid trying to read and grasp the book. Though weird and confusing for laypeople, the movie let me go back to the book and imagine things much better. And of course I was able to channel out the stuff the movie just doesn't get right (Weirding, Ornithopters, Paul, etc.)

Like I mentioned, great for visualization.

But basically, you had the the primary cast talking over each other, with a Greek chorus in the background.

Folklore has it that after Herbert watched it in the cinema, he drove home in tears.

I may have also been heavily influenced by the Dune 2000 computer game, which presented the Dune universe in terms everyone could understand.

But basically, you had the the primary cast talking over each other, with a Greek chorus in the background.

Folklore has it that after Herbert watched it in the cinema, he drove home in tears.

I may have also been heavily influenced by the Dune 2000 computer game, which presented the Dune universe in terms everyone could understand.

One can only imagine what his reaction would have been to Jodowrowsky's Dune.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/27/5554126/jodorowskys-dune-interview-greatest-sci-fi-film-never-made

Back to the Expanse:
the books are a really good read and I hope the TV show continues long enough for the full plot to be revealed.

There are powered armour suits verging on mecha in the books.

Let's face it, writers tend to hate stuff adapted from their works (ask Allan Moore too...). But yeah I can see Herbert not liking it for sure.

The constant thought dialogue in the film tries to reflect all that inner thought the book represents, but was a bit ill advised.

I'm going to have to seek out the first episode or two of Expanse so I can check it out over the long holiday weekend..

As for CT task rolls, well... I think the pilot of the Rocinante is at least skill-2 😉

Interesting. I see it a bit differently, but I've only watched up to Ep 7.

Alex Kamal states several times he's not that good a pilot. (When confronted with the fact he was in the Martian Navy, he responds "As a cargo shuttle pilot!" I believe.)

He always seems tense when at the controls of the Rocinante as far as I can tell. I would have pegged him at Pilot-1.

That said, when he flew the Rocinante (at the time called the Tachi) out of the Donnager, I assumed (in Classic Traveller terms), he had to make a roll (Throw 8+ for being under stress; DM+1 for pilot expertise) and managed to pull it off.

Now, the show seems to be lining up the characters -- a bunch of folks who have skills but always shot low on the ambition department -- to step up to greater achievement. I'll see how it all plays out!

Maybe he had an unconscious psychological block to flying a gunship, that his instructors picked up on.

Yes, doesn't Kamal have a line somewhere where he talks about being told he wasn't destined to work his way up the chain? I can't remember exactly.

And, like I said, this is a show with a four leads on that ship who live with untapped (and even undesired) potential. Stepping up to that potential will be, I think, major arcs for them across the show.

In Classic Traveller terms, it means the character has Pilot-2, but the Player declares he carries himself like a Pilot-1. He can only get hired at a Pilot-1, gets a pay of a Pilot-1... with that Pilot-2 waiting to be revealed through play!

Note that the series really picks up its momentum starting in the third episode.

Will keep it in mind. I generally give 3 eps to see if I want to invest. I gave up on Westworld after 3 (love western stuff, but just got bored) which is weird because I tend to get invested in a show if I watch the first 3.

Thanks for the link!

That is a fantastic documentary. I really love these "movies that might have been" docs, such as this and Death of Superman Lives which they play a lot on pay cable lately. I think the first such documentary I ever saw was about Terry Gilliam's ill-fated Man of La Mancha film.

Back