• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Truth About Space Combat

When I got into Sci-Fi many decades ago, I also ended up learning a little more about Sci-Nonfi. The truth of what is possible versus fictional fun. Sure, I knew that space combat couldn't be like it is in the movies & books, but I didn't let it stop me from enjoying the movie or book. Since I know the difference, I can accept the reality and enjoy the fiction at the same time.

I know that there are people who are so focused on the reality that they can't enjoy the fiction, and those who so enjoy the fiction that the reality is just frustrating, so I think taking the middle ground like I do is healthy for my mental state?

On another note, I feel kind of amazed that I live in a time that so many discoveries have changed what I read in books or watched in movies from what might be possible to what isn't or is possible, and there are still more discoveries to be made. Also, just for a moment, while watching the video, I started thinking of how I should change space combat in Traveller to be more realistic and then said to myself... Bookwyrm, Traveller is a Sci-Fi RPG, so just enjoy it.

I always think of Medieval Fantasy games when people start to talk about “Realism”.

“Sorry, your warrior died of dysentery from not boiling the water.” … So who wants more realism? ;)

Purify Food And Drink

1 transmutation
  • Casting Time: 1 action
  • Range: 10 feet
  • Target: A 5-foot-radius sphere centered on a point of your choice within range
  • Components: V S
  • Duration: Instantaneous
  • Classes: Cleric, Druid, Paladin
  • All nonmagical food and drink within a 5-foot-radius sphere centered on a point of your choice within range is purified and rendered free of poison and disease.

"Hogwarts didn't always have bathrooms," the Pottermore tweet read. "Before adopting Muggle plumbing methods in the eighteenth century, witches and wizards simply relieved themselves wherever they stood, and vanished the evidence."

"Hogwarts didn't always have bathrooms," the Pottermore tweet read. "Before adopting Muggle plumbing methods in the eighteenth century, witches and wizards simply relieved themselves wherever they stood, and vanished the evidence."
there was a series of books (and sadly I cannot remember the name; the 1st book was great IMO but they kinda went downhill. but really good character development) where everyone could vanish the evidence before it even left the body. so no plumbing whatsoever. think they even handles horses and pets like that, though it has been a few years so I could be mistaken. First thing they do when waking is magical ablutions. That would have a really huge impact on society!

NASA did a study on this a long time ago, space is very transparent, so the ERW's will probably be the main weapons, neutron bombs. Radiation fries electronics so that pretty much vehicle kills is the only thing you need. My setting I talk a little about it, the most expensive war ever. Of course this is all theory, as it has not happened, to quote Wiseblood: "The only truth is that there is no truth."

NASA did a study on this a long time ago, space is very transparent, so the ERW's will probably be the main weapons, neutron bombs. Radiation fries electronics so that pretty much vehicle kills is the only thing you need. My setting I talk a little about it, the most expensive war ever. Of course this is all theory, as it has not happened, to quote Wiseblood: "The only truth is that there is no truth."
Correct me if I’m wrong but it’s only going to be effective for a few hundred kilometers against a hardened target that’s more then just a cheap satellite. Plenty of room for various kinetic PD or counter missiles.

Correct me if I’m wrong but it’s only going to be effective for a few hundred kilometers against a hardened target that’s more then just a cheap satellite. Plenty of room for various kinetic PD or counter missiles.
Think though, anything in that tens of kilometers sphere is dead, vs having to hit it with a missile. Similar to a depth charge vs a sub. Sun Tzu called this "use of terrain".

Here is the report: https://history.nasa.gov/conghand/nuclear.htm

Last edited:

Purify Food And Drink

1 transmutation
  • Casting Time: 1 action
  • Range: 10 feet
  • Target: A 5-foot-radius sphere centered on a point of your choice within range
  • Components: V S
  • Duration: Instantaneous
  • Classes: Cleric, Druid, Paladin
  • All nonmagical food and drink within a 5-foot-radius sphere centered on a point of your choice within range is purified and rendered free of poison and disease.
Of course you only need to not use it ONCE (and EVERY GROUP casts that spell EVERY DAY.) ;)

Then you just return from the adventure to find a third of the town dying from the contaminated water source. (But the adventurers are safe). Just try to ignore the smell.

Realism is over rated. (imho)

Between that and Cure Disease, you're pretty much covered.

Ought to be some magical way to do flush toilets too.
just put a Gelatinous Cube or other ooze (D&D monsters) in the cesspit, and keep the cesspit deep. Every year or so, burn away much of the beastie.
Not quite flush, but definitely a way to process the waste efficiently. Should reduce the smell.

Back