• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Tigress class dreadnaughts

rancke

Absent Friend
Here's a little something I've been working on for many a year: The names of Tigress class dreadnaughts. AFAIK only three Tigress class ships have ever been named, the Tigress (of course), the Pantheress, and the Lioness (If anyone knows of any other canonical reference to a Tigress, please let me know). But there are between 160 and 224 Tigresses in all, depending on how you interpret the statement 'Additional Tigress class BatRons are generally assigned one per sector'. Is that one BatRon per sector with an Imperial presence, even those with only two Imperial subsectors? Or is it one per 16 subsectors? Or something in between? Currently I'm going with 160, 20 squadrons' worth, but I wouldn't object to 22 or 24 squadrons. 28 seems unlikely to me. YMMV.

Until recently I just maintained a list of names that I added to whenever I stumbled across a new one, but recently I began trying to figure out the order they were built, going with the more well-known species and subspecies first and more complex, awkward and dubious names later. Currently I have 60 names on the list:

Code:
No.    Name                Laid Down   First    Builder          Notes
                                       Flight
18511  Tigress              025-1078  172-1082  Semath No. 1
18512  Lioness              042-1078  218-1082  Silverring       AB
18513  Leopardess           077-1078  236-1082  Menkhakre
18514  Pantheress           092-1078  254-1082  Greyfleur        A
18515  Cougaress            120-1078  279-1082  Datta
18516  Jaguaress            144-1078  312-1082  Yard 23
18517  Cheetaess            146-1078  300-1082  Shaan Gig
18518  Ocelotess            171-1078  351-1082  Yard 19 No. 5

18519  Bengal Tigress       170-1078  337-1082  Ball Chaser
18520  Sibirian Tigress     177-1078  011-1083  Yard 19 No. 4
18521  Sumatran Tigress     206-1078  068-1083  C&I
18522  Cape Lioness         212-1078  007-1083  Semath No. 2
18523  Snow Leopardess      227-1078  046-1083  Shibashliim
18524  Lynxess              235-1078  034-1083  Dromedari Nawab
18525  Gynosphinx           258-1078  155-1083  Nirkre + Aarnas
18526  Pardess              257-1078  224-1083  Sharammir No. 7

18527 Smilodontess
18528 Mountain lioness
18529 Catamountess
18530 Spotted Lioness
18531 Margayess
18532 Caracaless
18533 Ouncess
18534 Servaless

18535 Katanga Lioness
18536 Malayan Tigress
18537 Asiatic Lioness
18538 Indochinese Tigress
18539 Masai Lioness
18540 Malayan Tigress
18541 Transvaal Lioness
18542 Indian Tigress

18543 Tigoness
18544 Ligeress
18545 Tigardess
18546 Leoponess
18547 Tiguaress
18548 Leguaress
18549 Jaglioness
18550 Liguaress

18551 Jaguarundiess
18552 Lipardess
18553 Pumapardess
18554 Jagupardess

18555 Black Tigress
18556 Red Lioness
18557 Blue Tigress
18558 Golden Tigress
18559 White Lion
18560 White Tigress
18561 Red Tigress
18562 Black Jaguaress

18563 Sabertoothed Tigress
18564 Cave Lioness
18565 Caspian Tigress
18566 Barbary Lioness
18567 Javan Tigress
18568 Cape Lioness
18569 Bali Tigress
18570 Ceylon Lioness

Code:
Builders:

Ball Chaser = Ball Chaser Group. LIC
C&I = Cuschapesc and Inremiirshii Comprehensive Constructions
Datta = Hong Datta and Siblings, Inc
Dromedari Nawab = Dromedari Nawab
Greyfleur = Greyfleur Yard
Menkhakre = Menkhakre Shipbuilding and Construction Company, LIC
Nirkre + Aarnas = Nirkre + Aarnas
Palastrup Værft = Palastrup Shipyard
Semath = Semath Infrastructure and Shipbuilding Company
Shaan Gig = Shaan Gig & Company
Sharammir = Sharammir Shipbuilding Corporation
Shibashliim = Shibashliim Naval Yards
Silverring = Silverring National Yards
Yard 19 = Yard 19
Yard 23 = Yard 23
I have another 30 names or so from Earth nature and mythology, including such gems as North East Congo Lioness and Loupcervierss (but not media awards, so no golden leopards or golden lions (though I was very tempted to include Jad-bal-ja, Tarzan's golden lion :))).

But I was thinking that at about this point, the Imperial Navy's Office of Coming up with Names for Ships might have begun to look for offworld inspiration, both actual great cats (descendants of great cats transplanted by the Ancients) and animals from other biospheres that looked enough like great cats to be named after lions and tigers and... well, other great cats.

At the moment I only have a handful of ideas for alien great cats.

Snowcat is canonical; it is native to Fulacin and to a great many other (unnamed) worlds in Charted Space (multiple different species with the same name). But I can't think of a usable female form of 'cat', so that's not much help. (You may think that 'catess' is just as good as 'lynxess' and 'margayess', but I don't ;)).

The zebralion I came up with many years ago when I was naming boloball teams for the Spinward Marches league (IMTU, of course). It's native to Zivije, though now that I actually get around to checking up on Zivije and note that it has a corrosive atmosphere, I wonder just how close the resemblance to great cats would be :).

The rest of the handful I just came up with a few days ago:

Nearlion
Mocklion
Fauxlion
Near-tiger
Mock Tiger
Faux Tiger
... Leopard, Panther, Cougar, Jaguar, Cheetah, Ocelot.

Don't ask me why the tiger versions differ like they do. It just seemed right to me.

Any of these could be found in multiple versions.

Well, that's about what I have so far, except that I have a notion that the very last name in the original production run would be Early Middle Pleistocene European Cave Lioness (EMPEC Lioness for short).

I've also thought about adding some replacement <Name> II's. GT mentions a Lioness II built to replace the Lioness, lost in the 5FW. But how many, if any, Tigresses would have been lost prior to 5FW and for what reasons? Opinions? Suggestions?

EDIT: Sep 11th 2014: I've added some details to the first sixteen entries.

Hans
--------------------
I hereby give permission to anyone doing legitimate work in the Traveller Universe (including work for pay) to use any ideas and/or text in this post, paraphrased or verbatim, if they like.

Last edited:
Hyaenas are classified as "feliform", despite the fact that they look like Canids.

Perhaps "Hyaeness" ?

Or even generic "Feliness" ?

Staying away from exact people names to avoid current politics, but...

How does the 3I avoid what the US Navy turned into?

Only the Marines have kept their (ships used to support them) named for names of Marines (mostly MPP) and battles.

The Navy has their carriers named after politicians, smaller ships alternate famous names and names used for an internal national political point.

Again staying away from the political names...but MY God. The Independence and America are slightly oversize patrol corvettes? I only rode their ships, but this is crazy.

Anyhow, what method could explain how the 3I kept names on track?

Combination of tradition and internal politics.

The Solomani can name their ships from Terran historical ships, historical personalities and battles and extend it to more recent happenings to flatter certain demographics.

The Navy has their carriers named after politicians, smaller ships alternate famous names and names used for an internal national political point.

Until WWII, IIRC, US Carriers were named after battles, US Battleships after states and Cruisers after cities.

Wasn't that because the first fleet carriers were battlecruiser conversions?

At least some (the Lexington class) were, but IIRC the Yorktown class ones and the Ranger and Wasp (BTW, this ones and the Hornet seem to be the only ones not named after a battle) were built as carriers from the begining

What's the construction time for 500,000T vessels?

Hans

Construction Times: Ships of 5,000 tons or less can be completed in 36 months
or less by any competent shipyard. Ships over 5,000 tons require from 24 to 60
months to complete, based on conditions, volume of orders, and the degree of haste
desired by the ordering government.

Ship Classes: Once a ship is built, a certain familiarity with the requirements of
construction is gained by the building crews, and a shipyard can then produce such
ships more rapidly and with greater efficiency. Additional identical ships built
following the initial ship in a class can be completed in 80% of the original time at
80% of the original construction cost. p20 - HG2

I was reading today about the Liberty and Victory ships the US made in WWII.

7kDt (wet) ships made in 45 days first cut to fitted out.

One was made made in 4 days, with pre-cut metal.

One of the Victory ships was still in commission in the 1980s.

Construction Times: Ships of 5,000 tons or less can be completed in 36 months or less by any competent shipyard. Ships over 5,000 tons require from 24 to 60 months to complete, based on conditions, volume of orders, and the degree of haste desired by the ordering government.
Thank you.

Not very helpful, unfortunately. Did TCS have a more rigid rule, being more wargamey?

If not, I think I'll go with 60 months for the first ship in each shipyard and 48 months for the subsequent ones.

Hans

I was reading today about the Liberty and Victory ships the US made in WWII.

7kDt (wet) ships made in 45 days first cut to fitted out.

One was made made in 4 days, with pre-cut metal.

One of the Victory ships was still in commission in the 1980s.

last two cutters/destroyers left commission in the 2000's. Same era and fast construction.

Thank you.
Not very helpful, unfortunately. Did TCS have a more rigid rule, being more wargamey?

If not, I think I'll go with 60 months for the first ship in each shipyard and 48 months for the subsequent ones.
Hans

By the table in TCS a 500,000dtonne ship takes 232 weeks, potentially modified as shown below.

BUILDING SHIPS
All construction rules given in High Guard and Trillion Credit Squadron are in
effect. Each planet's shipyards have a maximum capacity expressed in the number
of tons of ship they may work on at a time (including repair and refitting operations:
see later rules). This capacity is determined by the
formula given at left, where C is shipyard capacity in tons,
P is planetary population, and GM is the current government
budget percentage modifier. Plans for a new ship-class require four weeks
before construction may begin (and may be made up long in advance). Time required
for construction varies by ship tonnage, according to
the construction time table. For tonnages other than
those given on the table, the referee should round to the
nearest quantity or interpolate. Construction times are
given in weeks. For simplicity, a ship is not usable for
any purpose until it is completed. Construction may be
speeded up by a number of factors; these are expressed
in terms of the extra percentage of a week's work that
can be finished in one week. For example, if rate increases
totalling 30% apply, then 130% of a week's work
will be done that week, counting as 1.3 weeks off the
construction time. The largest possible increase is 100%,
or two weeks' work done in one week. There are three
factors capable of speeding construction. These are:
1. If the ship is not the first ship built in its class (i.e.,
it satisfies the requirements to cost only 80% of its face
value): +40%.
2. If double the ship's tonnage in yard capacity is
assigned to it during the week (extra workers and
equipment): +40%.
3. For every extra 10% of the unmodified weekly
construction cost (see below) that is paid: +10%.
Construction is paid for every week. To find the unmodified weekly cost, divide
the total ship cost by the construction time given on the table. After all time modifiers have been determined each week, multiply the weekly price by the work
done; for example, if 1.3 weeks worth of construction have been done, pay 1.3
times the unmodified weekly cost. Speed-up payments (as in 3 above) are in addition
to the weekly cost. pp 33-34 TCS

Back