• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller HERO CDROM Review

In case anyone was interested in purchasing the Traveller HERO CDROM from FFE, I have reviewed it over on my blog:

https://alegisdownport.wordpress.com/2018/04/07/traveller-hero-cdrom-review/

Though I find that Traveller HERO isn’t for me, there is plenty of useful material on the CD - I hope that you may find the review useful!

Cheers
Steve

I bought all the extant FFE DVDs, including the Hero one.
Your review was very helpful in directing how I will look at the materials.

You state 5th edition is required; note that it works just fine with 4th, as well. The differences twixt them mechanically are small enough that no conversions are needed.

The CDROM does not include enough information to play Traveller HERO as an actual game.

Basically, you're getting a really nice (and very affordable) collection of the "Traveller"-containing Star HERO titles but without a core book or the required setting books, Terran Empire and Alien Wars. If you already possess these books, it is fantastic and a great buy.

You state 5th edition is required; note that it works just fine with 4th, as well. The differences twixt them mechanically are small enough that no conversions are needed.
My opinion is that Danger International (Note a fork of 3rd edition) was the best version of the Hero rules for doing Traveller. In that equipment was just that without all the point cost complexity.

Dark Champions seems to have filled the void left by Danger International. Danger International was absorbed into HERO 5 Revised Edition in 2002 (after the Iron Crown era). So, it's owned by DOJ now and is definitely canon.

My opinion is that Danger International (Note a fork of 3rd edition) was the best version of the Hero rules for doing Traveller. In that equipment was just that without all the point cost complexity.
No argument... But DI was oop for 20 years at that time. The person doing the conversions was not as hero-cimpetent as they thought they were, missing a bunch of things.
That said, it has what I feel is the single best OTU intro.

Back