• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

[Traveller Map] Can Not Find Online Help To Fix This Issue (Custom Data)

Kilgs

SOC-14 1K
Baron
I could have sworn there was a dedicated subforum for the TM but can't find it so...Using Custom Data, its been modified and I pulled it out of an Excel (Tab Delimited) into a Text doc. When I run it through the "Lint Checker" I get the same error and it stops on the first line with it. So I go through text file and redo all of the tabs... then it displays a similar error with every single line in the file. I'm missing something but online searches took me down a Python coding hole. I'm happy to be able to turn my computer on and off without smoke on a good day so reaching out here...

On a sidenote, I thought part of the problem was that I moved the headings and columns around. So I reset those back to where they should be.
Bad data file: ERROR (Tab Parse) (2): 0103 Palmdale C410475-A - Ni - 904 NaHu M0 V - - - - - -

Now if I go in and try to straighten out tabs, it gives me the "can't find in the array" error so clearly I'm doing more harm than good redoing the tabs inside the text doc.

Any help would be appreciated!

I would try the file without that line, then (assuming it works), add it back and make sure it's 1:1 with the lines above it. Could be too many tabs or something like that.

Nope. As I mentioned, the error just moves down to the next one in line. Until I REALLY mess it up and the whole thing goes bonkers.

I would love to see the source data file. The problem I have found is excel sometimes does not export as expected. But that is really difficult to debug without a source.

Yea I don't know if you can post a zip file here, or maybe you can use a file sharing service (I suggest a zip file just to keep the integrity of the original).

Yea I don't know if you can post a zip file here, or maybe you can use a file sharing service (I suggest a zip file just to keep the integrity of the original).
PDF is an excellent option for universal file sharing with integrity retention.

At least share the header and first data line here.

One way to discover what you're doing wrong is (as noted above) reduce your file to just the header line and one data line and verify you're still seeing the error. Then take a functional file from the site (in the same format) and make sure it works, reduce it down to just one header and one data line, verify it still works. Now slowly modify the your file until it matches the working file. At some point along the way you'll find the error.

At least share the header and first data line here.

One way to discover what you're doing wrong is (as noted above) reduce your file to just the header line and one data line and verify you're still seeing the error. Then take a functional file from the site (in the same format) and make sure it works, reduce it down to just one header and one data line, verify it still works. Now slowly modify the your file until it matches the working file. At some point along the way you'll find the error.
Nope. I did what you said--the top two lines here are from raw data. The whole raw sector of data worked just fine. So I put my two lines under it since the Lint Checker can't get past the first line of my data (Palmdale). It looks kinda screwy here but I've attached the file so that you can see it.
Hex Name UWP Remarks {Ix} (Ex) [Cx] N B Z PBG W A Stellar
---- -------------------- --------- -------------------- ------ ------- ------ - -- - --- -- ---- --------------
0101 Aiwo B685740-6 Ag Ga Ri { 2 } (969-2) [2911] - - - 502 10 NaHu A9 V F0 V
0102 Boe B897875-A Pa Ph Pi { 2 } (B7B+1) [6A38] - - - 301 12 NaHu G2 V K7 V
0103 Palmdale C410475-A Ni - - - - - - 904 - NaHu M0 V
0128 Sakai X100444-4 Va Ni - - - - - R 804 - NaHu M5 V

And here's the message I'm getting now.

Bad data file: Unexpected data between columns, line 5: 0103 Palmdale etc.

Attachments

• Test_CM_for_Umbramanes_tsk.txt
    610 bytes · Views: 5
it could be hidden characters - they often screw things up. If you can copy to a plain text editor (Windows Notepad, Mac maybe Sublime) and then copy back it may help. I've had so many issues over the years from copy/paste from Word/Excel/whatever and hidden/control characters. Got quite good at various binary editors to find the pesky things.

edit: helps if the text editor has a mono-spaced font so you can verify spacing and alignment. Courier is the common one I use.

Tab-delimited data tends to be easier to work with than the more readable column-delimited. Mixing the two in one file is not supported.
Okay... you might need to flesh that statement out a bit... I did create a Tab-Delimited file from Excel. Not even sure what a column-delimited file is. But I stole that header off Travellermap and just pasted it in. The file itself should be Tab-Delimited... Stupid Excel. Thanks for the help. If it doesn't work then I am resigned to entering it by hand.

Is there any way in Notepad that you can 'see' the Tabs to make sure they're right? I am using Notepad for the text files.

Okay... you might need to flesh that statement out a bit... I did create a Tab-Delimited file from Excel. Not even sure what a column-delimited file is. But I stole that header off Travellermap and just pasted it in. The file itself should be Tab-Delimited... Stupid Excel. Thanks for the help. If it doesn't work then I am resigned to entering it by hand.

Is there any way in Notepad that you can 'see' the Tabs to make sure they're right? I am using Notepad for the text files.
I don't think Notepad can show tabs/symbols. I usually use Notepad++ and it can show that sort of thing via the Enable Show Symbol mode.

Tab-delimited data tends to be easier to work with than the more readable column-delimited. Mixing the two in one file is not supported.

This is SO TRUE.

I used to not care at all. Then I got tired of writing and re-writing and re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-writing the same steenking UWP parser, with tiny variations, forever and forever.

Yes, even those tidy formats which line up underneath a sane column label header with the extremely useful dashed line.

Tab TOTALLY RULES.

UNFORTUNATELY, tab-delimited is not very text-editor friendly. I can't just fire up my code editor and edit the 1105 Spinward Marches.

Well granted you can't just edit the 1105 Spinward Marches... I mean porting in changes requires updating the official spreadsheet... and I NEVER WANT TO DO THAT. Joshua showed me how it's done, and I regret asking.

Just makes me want to seal the 1105 data shut and never touch it again.

Back