• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Uran 9 Drone Tank

savage

SOC-14 1K
New Tech for a Twilight Campaign post-1980s

I should've named the thread New Twilight Tech.

We have weapons that shoot around corners, Cruise missiles, camera drones and a host of other new devices. If you have any specifics add it to the thread.

American efforts to build drone weapons have been cautious at best but the Russians are heading heading into production for their ground forces and export. And are supposedly working on nuclear capable drone subs.

My first installment
URAN 9 Russian Drone Tank
http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a18948/russias-new-ground-combat-drone-uran-9/

30mm cannon
7.62mm machine gun
4 Ataka ATM (2.5mile range)

Last edited:
Going to be an interesting EW environment should these become prevalent.

I also have visions of insurgents crawling up the backs of these things and ripping antennas out, then running off giggling.

Going to be an interesting EW environment should these become prevalent.

I also have visions of insurgents crawling up the backs of these things and ripping antennas out, then running off giggling.

You mean the drone tank? Perhaps. The next stage is small, mobile artillery which could really impact a T2k env. Tell the artillery drone to follow your unit, no setup time.

The airborne drone would not have that issue. The J20 includes anti-jamming tech.

More robots

Guargium ?
Predator Drones
  • MQ-9 Reaper (RQ-9 Predator B) -
  • MQ-1C Warrior
  • MQ-1 Predator (RQ-1) - unmanned arial
TALON - recon to combat
Samsung SGR-A1 - South Korean sentry robot
Gladiator Tactical Unmanned Ground Vehicle.
Daksh - recover explosives
Goalkeeper - ship missile defense like Phalanx
PackBot510 -various packages including sniper detection
MULE ARV-A-L - can fire line-of-sight gun as well as anti tank weaponry

The next stage is small, mobile artillery which could really impact a T2k env. Tell the artillery drone to follow your unit, no setup time.

The original CT Traveller books predict small air-dropped rocket artillery boxes. Cheap enough to blanket a potential theatre and have all kinds of readily available fire support.

Combine it with a slightly more expensive, but still cheap air raft and now its portable as well.

Lots of potential. I remember sketching different concepts of how it might look and work back in the 1980s.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

The suggested drone equipment are not autonomous, and thus need to be directed remotely. That takes a reasonably high bandwidth connection, sending over some very sophisticated data.

This data likely would not fair well in a extremely noisy, jammer filled EW environment.

Flying drones can go autonomous to the point of going in to orbit and not crashing should they lose signal. Ground drones would likely just stop.

I can see infantry with crude noise makers approaching a land drone, and disabling it enough to walk up to it with a demolition device.

You can approach it with a combined arms, infantry supported strategy, but if you're putting infantry at risk -- may as well put drivers at risk as well. Granted, a drone can have a lower profile, and be more compact not having to contain troops.

Anyway, I think the chapters are just being written on what will happen with this technology.

Agree with whartung - if you're going to have drones in TW2000 then you need fully realised EW rules, probably fully realised cyber rules (attack and defence) and rules for kinetic counter-UAV weaponry.

You can't just add one side of the equation, otherwise they become super weapons.

Same applies in Traveller, actually.

The original CT Traveller books predict small air-dropped rocket artillery boxes. Cheap enough to blanket a potential theatre and have all kinds of readily available fire support.

Combine it with a slightly more expensive, but still cheap air raft and now its portable as well.

Lots of potential. I remember sketching different concepts of how it might look and work back in the 1980s.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

This is a T2k thread. No air-rafts. Real stuff.

Last edited:
Back