• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Using T20

How will you use the new T20 handbook?

• Not planning to buy it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GBoyett

SOC-14 1K
Has is my first polling attempt.

The question is how will you use the new T20 handbook? This is a multifaceted poll as the answers reflect both how the rules will be used and which campaign settin.

Originally posted by George Boyett:

The question is how will you use the new T20 handbook? This is a multifaceted poll as the answers reflect both how the rules will be used and which campaign settin.
Now of course, this assumes that I have a copy of T20.
file_28.gif

I'm still waiting for mine to show up in the mail while other folks talk about having theirs in their hands/paws/tentacles/claws/whatever. :mad:

I'll get over it as soon as I have mine.
file_22.gif

Originally posted by eclipse:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by George Boyett:

Now of course, this assumes that I have a copy of T20.
file_28.gif

I'm still waiting for mine to show up in the mail while other folks talk about having theirs in their hands/paws/tentacles/claws/whatever. :mad:

I'll get over it as soon as I have mine.
file_22.gif
</font>[/QUOTE]I know what you mean. :( ;)

I intentionally decided to wait for it's release at a FLGS so I can spend my money locally.

Originally posted by George Boyett:

Interesting poll - I found it difficult to choose as I intend to use the book in a couple of different ways.

I voted for New Era because that is where I expect to spend the majority of my time with the new edition (especially after reading Diaspora Phoenix and the other short pieces by MJD).

But I also plan on running a game in Milieu 1000 to gain new players as this setting will be supported by the next few products from QLI. I am also thinking of adapting certain aspects of the rules into a D20 D&D game (the grittier combat has a lot of appeal, as does the prior history system).

1200-1248, true to form & profile. I'd be lyin to do anything else at the moment. Conversion of my TNE/ HG stuff of course.

Might take a break after a year (or twa) to incorporate the other time zones.
As ususal, the gamers may vote where we set the trend (First we evangelize them off ADnD3e into this!!!). I have me work cut out for me, ought to be easier as they have gotten used to that version under another of my players as their DM.
(and him one of my Trav players too!) :cool:

Really, the only choice I _wouldn't_ select in the poll is "Not going to purchase" because I'll probably do all of the others eventually.

I'm initially going to buy it as a reference, due primarily to the fact that I've currently got a MT-variant game going and the players are happy with it. Should they ever look for something new, but similar, I might suggest T20.

I'm also involved in an area RPG club, and they sponsor a d20 "Guildworld" where players can run the same character in multiple GMs universes all using the d20 system. Should enough people show interest, we might set up something similar for T20, and who knows which timeline we'll set that up in.

At a convention, I might run an adventure as a one-shot set in TNE's timeline, or perhaps M:0, whatever works best.

So, essentially, my choice works out as "All of the above."

Simon Jester
file_23.gif

hi,
new to these parts. just ordered t20. as i am new to the game and universe as a whole i see myself eventually reading more and more and seeing what milieu appeals. as for now (as i await the arrival of my t20 via mail) i will play some homebrew with my newly acquired classic traveller (lbb) with the only vict-- i mean, willing player available, my good sport of a girlfriend. should prove interesting.

I'd use it more as a reference, and use the Star Wars d20 rules as a character generation guide. Aside from that, I'd either convert some info to other rules or convert some info (mainly settings) from other rule sets. Now, this assumes that I ever get over the ridiculously high price and buy it
!

At present, I've been making characters/prepping for a campaign to be based on the Year 1000 Gateway Domain campaign, using the sector stats found here for Ley sector as a starting point. I might also unpack my Megatraveller stuff, and do a circa 1120 based T20 campaign...although I suspect one of my friends whom I gave a T20 book to as an early Christmas gift may beat me to it. If so, I'll let him run that, and I'll do year 1000.

Jame,

Keep you eyes open for your local version of Half-Priced Books, a bookstore that buys and sells used books at essentially half cover price. One of my gamers found a copy of the THB there, and this week Half-Price had their After-Xmas 20% Off Everything Sale, so he walked away with it for $18.

Hope this helps,
Flynn

Unfortunately, there aren't any Half-Priced bookstores in my area, and I don't know what the local equivalent would be. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Originally posted by Jame:
Unfortunately, there aren't any Half-Priced bookstores in my area, and I don't know what the local equivalent would be. Thanks for the suggestion, though!
My good Sir Jame,

My first copy I bought as part of the Pre-Order that included the discount and the free TA PDF, but I also found a copy that I gave to a friend as a Christmas gift on E-bay for about $34.00. I think one reviewer, (unfortuntly it's the guy who flamed the book, but I digress) on rpg.net claims he found it on E-bay for $28.00. So, haunting E-bay might be an option to at least save a dollar or two.

I've never liked online orders (too electronically vulnerable), but I suppose I could take a look at E-Bay.

Since the issue of finding the THB at a discount is being discussed, I thought I'd mention that my local Wizards of the Coast store has it for 20% off. A lot of their sales tend to be company wide, so you might check there if you have one nearby.

The sale was not well marked, I didn't even notice they were on sale until it was rung up at the register. Later I went back and noticed the little 20% off sticker on the shelf.

Well, I got T20 because 1) I wanted to see what the system looked like, if it would be easier/better than other traveller systems 2) its the current flavor of the month 3) I want to be a halfway completist, so I can semi knowledgable about any trav system, 4) see what I could port back to my CT/MT campaign.

So, mostly its a reference type thing.

I bought it as a reflex when I first saw it. I bought the D20 Wheel of Time and Call of Cthulhu books and really liked them. When I sat down and started reading T20 I was really disappointed. I had hoped they would take the best of both rules and merge them into one clean system. These reminded me of MasterBlaster from Beyond Thunderdome! I couldn't believe the whole book was just rules. The lists of skills and feats are enormous.

Admittedly I like rules-lite systems and should know that D20 is pretty rules-intensive, but I just wanted a system that would interest my old gaming buddies who played original Traveller and are now playing 3rd edition D&D. If we ever get a game going, it'll have to be with the original rules.

I guess I should have thumbed through it in the store before plunking down the $.

Moxie,

Before going back to the old rules, take a look at how you can trim away what rules you do not want by looking at the T20 Lite rules available for free around here. They can go as rules-lite as you want.

I am still waiting on my set of rules. I am bidding on one of the lower priced copies on EBay just to let others know so we do not shoot ourselves in the foot in bidding.

Magnus

About the only problem with d20 is the system of feats. Most of the feats are just skills. Anything that's worthy of being a feat is either a skill set/cascade, which grants several skills, something cinematic or advantages like in GURPS.

Back