• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Weekly Wednesday

LeperColony

Traveller Card Game Dev Team
Every Wednesday until we announce our Kickstarter, we will provide a glimpse into the ongoing development process. It may be art, or rules or concepts.

For today, I'd like to explain our ship deck roll out system.

To play Traveller: The Card Game, each Captain will need to make his own ship deck. At launch, two ships will be available:

Type S Scout
Free Trader

For future expansions, we have classified our projected supported ships into Schedules.

Schedule 0: These are ships for which we already have rules and a game concept. Releasing some or all Schedule 0 ships at launch will likely be Kickstarter Stretch Goals.

Far Trader
Subsidized Merchant
Type T Patrol Cruiser
Broadsword Mercenary Cruiser

Schedule 1: These ships require a little additional development, but their core mechanics either don't differ much from earlier ships, or we have a good sense of what we want to do with them.

Type J Seeker
Type P Corsair
Safari Ship

Schedule 2: These ships require significant additional development. Basic details about their design remain uncertain.

Yacht
Type L Lab Ship

Schedule 3: These ships require extensive additional development. Little other than their anticipate "style" of play is currently understood.

Vargr Corsair
Type ZM Zhodani Trader
Type Y Yacht
Aslan Eakhau Trader

Don't see your favorite ship? Let us know!

300 dTon Explorer class Scout from White Dwarf magazine, 100 dTon Serpent class scout, Paranoia Press.

Those smaller press ships may be tricky, depending on who owns the rights to the article and (if different) the art. But we would love to include some of the more obscure designs at some point!

Those smaller press ships may be tricky, depending on who owns the rights to the article and (if different) the art. But we would love to include some of the more obscure designs at some point!

Check with Marc - the Serpent later was printed in JTAS.

Ian Stead did a nifty 2D of the Explorer exterior, AFAIK there was a totally different picture in the magazine that did not match the deck plan. For what it's worth: Explorer Class Scout Dunno anything about rights to the original but I believe that video is Ian Stead's interpretation of it.

Ian Stead did a nifty 2D of the Explorer exterior, AFAIK there was a totally different picture in the magazine that did not match the deck plan. For what it's worth: Explorer Class Scout Dunno anything about rights to the original but I believe that video is Ian Stead's interpretation of it.

Thanks for the tip.

The initial ships (Scout and Free Trader) and the Schedule 0 ships all have pretty standard mechanics. They vary in capabilities or special abilities, and each one is meant to have a slightly different play style, but more or less you could call those six vessels "standard" in terms of rules.

When you get past Schedule 0, you start to see ships with more specialized rules that create a play experience more narrowly tailored.

As the Resident Noble wannabe...

I totes volunteer to help with the Yachts, I sort of build them. ;)

Seriously looking forward to this and will lend a hand if able.

Andy Slack did the stats and write up for the Explorer. I interpreted Albie Fiore (RIP) deck plans.. Yep it was in White Dwarf.

Here's our Weekly Wednesday, a few hours early for some, but already Wednesday for others, so I figure it's a wash.

At any rate, this is our Beowulf Free Trader! Hope you enjoy it.

A beautiful rendering... can you tell us if this is planned for a card, or instructional materials? Just being nosy ;)

looks great at this scale and in this presentation. put it on a card and see if it still looks good, it's a little dark and this may affect perception at that scale. also, screen graphics can look markedly different from printed graphics, so do physical test runs before you commit.

For today, I'd like to explain our ship deck roll out system.

To play Traveller: The Card Game, each Captain will need to make his own ship deck. At launch, two ships will be available:

Type S Scout
Free Trader

For future expansions, we have classified our projected supported ships into Schedules.

Schedule 0: These are ships for which we already have rules and a game concept. Releasing some or all Schedule 0 ships at launch will likely be Kickstarter Stretch Goals.

Far Trader
Subsidized Merchant
Type T Patrol Cruiser
Broadsword Mercenary Cruiser

Schedule 1: These ships require a little additional development, but their core mechanics either don't differ much from earlier ships, or we have a good sense of what we want to do with them.

Type J Seeker
Type P Corsair
Safari Ship

I think it would be better to swap the Broadsword and the Corsair. Pitting a Corsair against a Patrol Cruiser feels more balanced.

I think it would be better to swap the Broadsword and the Corsair. Pitting a Corsair against a Patrol Cruiser feels more balanced.

Thanks for the comment. It is actually less a matter of balance as it is mechanics. The Corsair has a core mechanic we have yet to fully settle.

Back