• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What edition was your first encounter with Traveller?

What edition was your first encounter with Traveller?

• Classic Traveller 1977

Votes: 116 43.8%
  • Classic Traveller 1981

Votes: 60 22.6%
  • Traveller Deluxe Edition

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • The Traveller Book

Votes: 22 8.3%
  • Traveller Starter Edition

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • MegaTraveller

Votes: 15 5.7%
  • Traveller: The New Era

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • T4- Marc Miller's Traveller

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • GURPS Traveller

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • T20

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Traveller HERO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mongoose Traveller

Votes: 15 5.7%
  • Traveller5

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
First Traveller

1. Classic 81, I think.

2. Mid 80's, which is why I think it was that edition.

3. A friend introduced me and other friends to Traveller. we were also playing D&D, Star Wars, James Bond, and a few others.

4. I am into Fantasy & Science Fiction, so I really liked the game. Sci-Fi, big Galaxy to play in, the Character Generation, Aliens.

many years later, I got rid of everything I had gotten, and now regret it. but have gotten back into Traveller through T20, and have just discovered Gateway to Destiny, so things are looking up.

I borrowed the German Traveller edition printed in the 80s from a friend. It was the translation of the Starter Set of CT ('84?). That must've been around 1994 or 1995. I GMed my first games ever, Traveller being my first RPG ever. I still have that exact book, bought a second copy of it in mint condition and upgraded to the German Traveller Volume II (a compilation of various CT products combined with original German material) in the 2010s. I never played Traveller though, except as a GM of CT, T4 and T20. I'll be GMing MgT2 soon.

i found a flgs in a tiny storefront. been playing games for a few years, owned metamorphosis alpha bud had not seen d&d yet.

went there on leave after marine boot camp. and there it was...that black box.

the rest is history.

My first and only encounter with Traveller prior to coming to CotI was CT-77.

The rest, I can't really remember. I was in high school, before senior year (which was too busy for much gaming). Undoubtedly I saw it at the Yankee Peddler. But whether I bought it for myself, or requested it for B-day or Xmas, dunno. Played it with my younger brother as a random, no GM, free-play experiment. Lots of fun. I don't think I convinced any of my DnD buds to try it. Meh.

CT 77!

It sat on a shelf at the hobby shop in Overland Park Ks for a good six months before I took the plunge.

Never regretted that decision!

I think this poll, more than any, show just how old we all are. 75% of us started with Classic Traveller. I'd guess most buying it in the '77 to '82 span.

I remember as a kid taking an hour long bus ride, then a fifteen minute walk to get to the hobby store just to look at the games.

I think this poll, more than any, show just how old we all are. 75% of us started with Classic Traveller. I'd guess most buying it in the '77 to '82 span.

I had friends who talked about it at the lunch table in 8th grade in 1980-1981, but didn't get exposed to it first hand until Fall 1982.

I was so bummed when I bought a copy of High Guard and then, a few months later, an entirely different version came out.

'77 sometime in '78. Probably early summer. A neighbour had a store that sold games. I ran into MT ~'86 or '87 when I was visiting relatives and stumbled onto The Last Grenadier in Burbank CA.

Last edited:
After CT (1980? never even knew it had revised books!) I had nothing until late '80s or early '90s when I came across and bought a copy of TNE rulebook. Then discovered the new stuff---in spades!--about 2016 or so.

And the first vote is cast for... T4! Despite being in my 6th term. We were D&D and a little bit of RQ and CoC back in secondary school. Then, I dropped out of RPGs for about 20 years.

I heard of 2300AD from an interest in hard SF around 2008, which led me to discover (legal) online pdfs of rpg's. At that time, I think T4 was on offer for free on drivethru. So I picked it up. Never did get to play it, although I soon found an MGT campaign. Not long after, I fell under the spell of Classic.

A gentle prod to point out that it couldn't be MT in 1986. Thus clearing up the time range for you.

Oh! Still after all this time my memory is not TOO bad. God, so much water under the bridge. Almost 5 decades of gaming. Doesn't seem that long looking back...

Oh! Still after all this time my memory is not TOO bad. God, so much water under the bridge. Almost 5 decades of gaming. Doesn't seem that long looking back...

I've hit 4 decades gaming... RPGs since 1981. Board Wargames since 1978.

... and stumbled onto The Last Grenadier in Burbank CA.
I miss that store. Very old school game store feel. Not like the new corporate feel the few remaining stores have.

I was in school and a local store had a black box and the owner said no one was interested but he thought it was a cool game. I bought it and even today I keep returning to the Classic from time to time because of the feel. I love the sense of exploration the original gave me. My character, a 100 ton scout, a couple of friends and open space. :)

Back