• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What Was The Catastrophic Event That Caused The EW?

It's all Grandfather's doing, he set up the Mega-Star to full into our super massive blackhole that in turn caused serval massive blackholes to fall into our super massive blackhole, causing the pulse in the first place. While setting all that up he sends his lab rats... I mean PSI-bots... I mean PSI enhanced humans to the core on an observation mission without telling them anything, except to observe but don't report. WHAT THE FORK! Grandfather then decides he needs more social economic groups to study the effect, so he sends out his trouble shooters to whisper in a few ears and now the Imperium collapses. The stage is set, let the data collection begin.🔭🔬:devilish:o_O
MayHem.jpg

Last edited:
As I see it, there are four possible explanations behind the Empress Wave:
  1. The 1248 explanation - from near the galactic core, the Yaskoydri call for help in the face of a devastating supernova;
  2. Grandfather, yet again - because it's always Grandfather, every time without fail;
  3. The Denizens/Esseray/Hydrogens/Abyssals/Black Ships - some Galaxiad-based explanation which will be revealed in due course, but will also raise more questions than it answers;
  4. The Primordials - upset at having been written out of the metaplot to make way for the Virus, they've decided to show Charted Space what real devastation looks like.

1 - think about it for a couple of minutes and this becomes unlikely
2 - doesn't have to be Grandfather, but it is certainly possibly maybe linked to prodding the Zhodani to go investigate the Core
3 - I doubt if I will live long enough for this to ever see print - unless marc has a novel at the printers as we speak (hope so)
4 - I liked the concept of baddies from the core, still don't see a reason why they can not be reretconned :)

1 - think about it for a couple of minutes and this becomes unlikely
2 - doesn't have to be Grandfather, but it is certainly possibly maybe linked to prodding the Zhodani to go investigate the Core
3 - I doubt if I will live long enough for this to ever see print - unless marc has a novel at the printers as we speak (hope so)
4 - I liked the concept of baddies from the core, still don't see a reason why they can not be reretconned :)
When the "Baddies from the Core" plot was canceled due to the cancelation of MegaTraveller, does that actually mean the Primordials were retconned entirely from the OTU? Or are they simply an aspect of ancient history with very little remaining evidence since they quietly sublimed (to use a term from Iain M. Banks' Culture books) as opposed to the Ancients' messy exit?

My take on the EW is the Zho's finally found the recording studio of the dreaded band "Disaster Area".

It is there, in the mixing booth, upon the control board was a big red button. Underneath it, on a piece of frayed silver duct tape, "Press Play" was inscribed with a childlike scrawl.

A translucent case rests a few inches away from the button. The label reads,

Band: Disaster Area
Album: Baddies from the Core

Track List:
1. Wave of Madness - reboot to the head remix, duration 17:34

No one can resist the power of the big red button!

When the "Baddies from the Core" plot was canceled due to the cancelation of MegaTraveller, does that actually mean the Primordials were retconned entirely from the OTU? Or are they simply an aspect of ancient history with very little remaining evidence since they quietly sublimed (to use a term from Iain M. Banks' Culture books) as opposed to the Ancients' messy exit?
The latter, as I understand it. The Baddies From the Core explanation for the clues scattered around MegaTraveller is not Canon, but the clues remain.

The timeline, as I recall it, is that DGP presented Baddies as their path forward and GDW said no. DGP terminated their license, and GDW finished out the MegaTraveller MegaPlot MegaEvent, finishing with the "nuke and pave" button to launch TNE.

While I had a negative reaction to Baddies the first time I read it, a comment from the TML after Baddies was revealed by DGP on their way out the door summed it up best. Paraphrased: "After five years of giant meta-plot we could only watch and not influence, DGP offers up another five year plan of giant meta-plot we can only watch and not influence. Nah."

The latter, as I understand it. The Baddies From the Core explanation for the clues scattered around MegaTraveller is not Canon, but the clues remain.

The timeline, as I recall it, is that DGP presented Baddies as their path forward and GDW said no. DGP terminated their license, and GDW finished out the MegaTraveller MegaPlot MegaEvent, finishing with the "nuke and pave" button to launch TNE.

While I had a negative reaction to Baddies the first time I read it, a comment from the TML after Baddies was revealed by DGP on their way out the door summed it up best. Paraphrased: "After five years of giant meta-plot we could only watch and not influence, DGP offers up another five year plan of giant meta-plot we can only watch and not influence. Nah."
I like the idea that the Primordials just left less evidence behind both because they were both more ancient than the Ancients, and because they simply decided to do some housekeeping on their way out and so it's rare to even find an expert on the Ancients who knows of evidence of the Primordials let alone recognizes it as evidence of a completely different civilization.

Yet MM has adopted the EW as a way to further reformat the setting now for Galxiad?

Reactions: DED
I am waiting on the true reveal of what the Galxiad is. My head fanon goes a little like this,

Strephon awakes suddenly, with images of his life's work burning to the ground and lives of billions lost, still fresh in his mind.

"Love, I had such a bizzare dream", he says as he turns over to face his wife, only to find himself face to face with his friend "Harvey" the hiver ambassador.

With a shriek that would impress his daughter, he flails about, falling out of bed. After righting himself, Strephon opens the drawer of his nightstand.

"Dabnabbit Harvey, how many times have I told you, this is not how you wake someone!"

The hiver appears very confused as to why his joke did not go over well, he never hears the crack of the gauss pistol.

After putting the pistol down, Strephon turns on the light, and is greeted with the horrified looks of friends and family, who have just witnessed a murder.

Strephon looks back at the corpse of Harvey, and notices the sign clutched in his hands, "Happy 40th Birthday".

Yet MM has adopted the EW as a way to further reformat the setting now for Galxiad?
Marc inherited the Wave with TNE, but instead of staying with the 1248 path (which is pretty cool but had a pointless Wave that was just going to be around forever), he made it more dangerous but relegated the Wave to history. Over, gone, moving on.

dXYWzrO.gif

Marc inherited the Wave with TNE, but instead of staying with the 1248 path (which is pretty cool but had a pointless Wave that was just going to be around forever), he made it more dangerous but relegated the Wave to history. Over, gone, moving on.
Unless of course you game in that setting. But it's not like anyone here cares.

The 1248 version of the Wave never struck me right, even comparing what the text said and what the rules said. I actually rather like the 1248 setting other than that. It's still possible to use it, but the Wave will be in a different spot and the worlds behind it will be reeling instead of "hey, my toaster!"

Unless of course you game in that setting. But it's not like anyone here cares.
I'm a computer programmer by trade
When the whole Virus thing came out, I was ... <insert list of bad words> . I didn't see how such a thing could work. I still don't. I write interfaces between systems for a living and don't see how a properly designed system is going to be vulnerable like that.

Which caused me, for decades, to stop any interest in anything after 1117. I'd run games before that, right up to that, but that's it.

I recently came across the 1248 stuff here on COTI, which caused me to go look at it...
And wow.
1248 has the potential to be a huge amount of fun. It's got spaceships. It's got high tech levels. It's got Perry Rhodan Mutant Corps style Psionic Action. It's got places to explore and lots of smaller political factions to interact in.

So, yeah, I'm intrigued by it

Back