• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Where Are We All From?

Where Are We From?

• USA: New England (ME, NH, VT, MA, CT, RI)

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • USA: Mid Atlantic (NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD)

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • USA: South East Atlantic (VA, NC, SC, GA, FL)

Votes: 22 12.5%
  • USA: South (AL, MS, LA, AR)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • USA: Appalachia (KY, TN, OH, WV)

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • USA: Great Lakes (MI, IN, IL, WI)

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • USA: Mid West (MN, IA, MO, KS, NE, ND, SD)

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • USA: South West (TX, OK, NM, AZ, CA, NV)

Votes: 28 15.9%
  • USA: Rocky Mountains (CO, UT, MT, ID, WY)

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • USA: Pacific NW (WA, OR, AK, HI)

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • USA Territories

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canada: SE

• Canada: SW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Canada: Other

• Europe: UK/Ireland

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Europe: German

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Europe: Scandinavia

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Europe: Other

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • Austrailia

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Rest of the World

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters
Grew up in the Chicago area, college in Tulsa and Tempe, worked in Tulsa and Houston, retired 100 miles north of Phoenix.

Born just south of Chicago, moved to Southern California early, grew up there, raised family there, moved to Silicon Valley late ‘80s and then to Fargo, ND at turn of century.

Army Brat Gone Punk Rock to Journalist

Hi
Max here is from the British Military Hospital in Iserlohn West Germany. His brother TCC was born in the same place 2 1/2 years later after a brief return to Petawawa ON Canada. When Max was 5, he flew by C-130 Hercules over the Atlantic by way of Gander, Newfoundland through Trenton ON on to spend his formative elementary school years in CFB Petawawa. Extreme heat and snow for 8 years and a childhood of biking, hiking, hunting, and climbing up in the highest trees, reading. smoking Old Port cigars and eating Captain Crunch cereal purchase with slave wages.

After Max's parent's split, he suffered 1 1/2 years in Pembroke ON attending a Catholic Jnr High run by Penguins and anti-nerd bullies until May 25th 1977 when Star Wars got him off Tatooine into a world outside his head.

The subsequent move to Ottawa ON lead to a flowering of intense nerdiness; introduction to D&D, and the first purchase of a wargame and the LBB Traveller77 boxed set. Book 1 was devoured like a starving young man who wore the pips off the Monopoly dice generating Characters; like the Scout Roger Butter, first to survive the deadly depths of space, and butt of my future wife's derision as to his name.

With the ignorance of youth, the first sessions of playing Traveller with others created a perfect atmosphere of existential angst and the flowering of Role Playing sci fi fantasy and space opera. This campaign would grow to a MTU of 4 sectors and divisions and fleets of player power and control. I would later sell the whole shooting match; which by 1990 was a MegaTraveller ATU, to another burgeoning referee for a princely sum of $1000CDN. My future wife, if you can believe I married her after this gaff, gave all three trunks of my Traveller collection to the pleased purchaser rather than the two trunks of the campaign.

Writing this, Max has to pause and rethink what happened next; however it is fruitless as it is a blur of starting a career in some of the worse economic times for a university attendee who would rather game than attend classes. Max believes certain choices at this time were definitely not optimal. Board wargaming, RPGs of many stripes, and miniatures occupied many years before rediscovering a eternal flame of passion for Traveller.

Getting married was the best of decisions, including getting hitched in Ottawa. Moving to Toronto was not. 6 years in the Big Smoke burned Max's lungs and career; yet the birth of three boyz gave Max the love of future gamers.

A visit to Max's brother's on the Left Coast changed everything. When the wife said, "How about moving to Victoria BC?" the destiny of Max and his family was met.

Now living here in Victoria for the longest he has lived anywhere, 18 years, Traveller gaming has entered the 21st Century with a regular online, Roll20, Tavern Keeper campaign of T5.09. Players from North America, and Israel are engaged in Septic's Interstellar Scout Brew for over a year of Fun.

This, is the Golden Age.

Indiana all my life.

All the people I know from Ohio would be bemused to learn they are from Appalachia; they think they are from the Great Lakes. Or the (greater) Midwest.

Interesting factoid gleaned from poll to date - as a proportion of a country's population the USA, Australia and the UK are neck and neck for Traveller popularity.

More data required...

Interesting factoid gleaned from poll to date - as a proportion of a country's population the USA, Australia and the UK are neck and neck for Traveller popularity.

More data required...

I don't find that particularly surprising - those three countries all have strong cultural links, the same primary language, and roughly the same amount of per-person wealth.

As for me, the answer to the question "where am I from?" would be rather different to that for "where am I?".

I don't find that particularly surprising - those three countries all have strong cultural links, the same primary language, and roughly the same amount of per-person wealth.

As for me, the answer to the question "where am I from?" would be rather different to that for "where am I?".

Almost an excuse for another poll...

Oh, from? I'm from Ohio. Currently in Maryland.

Changed my vote and voted properly in the "where are you currently?" poll.

I'm from west of the Missouri River in the Dakotas--grew up near Chicago. (So I'm familiar with the machine election day motto.)

Stockholm, Sweden.

So about as long winter nights and summer days as Anchorage, but warmer; and about as rainy as London, but colder. :coffeesip:

Stockholm, Sweden.

So about as long winter nights and summer days as Anchorage, but warmer; and about as rainy as London, but colder. :coffeesip:
Most American's won't have a clue. Maybe 1% of the country has ever been to Alaska. And Alaska's pop is right about 0.3% of the US population.

Back