• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Where Are We All From?

Where Are We From?

• USA: New England (ME, NH, VT, MA, CT, RI)

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • USA: Mid Atlantic (NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD)

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • USA: South East Atlantic (VA, NC, SC, GA, FL)

Votes: 22 12.5%
  • USA: South (AL, MS, LA, AR)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • USA: Appalachia (KY, TN, OH, WV)

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • USA: Great Lakes (MI, IN, IL, WI)

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • USA: Mid West (MN, IA, MO, KS, NE, ND, SD)

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • USA: South West (TX, OK, NM, AZ, CA, NV)

Votes: 28 15.9%
  • USA: Rocky Mountains (CO, UT, MT, ID, WY)

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • USA: Pacific NW (WA, OR, AK, HI)

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • USA Territories

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canada: SE

• Canada: SW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Canada: Other

• Europe: UK/Ireland

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Europe: German

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Europe: Scandinavia

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Europe: Other

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • Austrailia

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Rest of the World

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters
Lexington, Kentucky via Chicago, Atlanta, they still like to pretend they are out in the country here. Kentucky Bourbon, Thoroughbred Horse Racing and Bud's the largest online Gun store in the country down the street.

Having lived in Alaska while in the Army, I would second Aramis comments on Alaska being totally different from the Pacific Northwest. The state of mind is totally different, along with their views on the Federal government. As for California, there are times when I think that the state is on a different planet.

Note, there are also major differences between the viewpoint of Chicago/Cook County and the rest of the state of Illinois.

You put Texas in the Southwest, where it is located !

Thank you !

No, it is on the wrong side of the Continental Divide thus in the east so it is part of the south.

Putting Alaska in the PNW is culturally insensitive.
Note: I, personally, am offended by putting Alaska in the PNW.

California is on that list as well, as we all know California is it's own state of mind.

The CotI poll software caps choices at 20. I had to make choices of convenience. I wasn't happy about the choices I made either, but giving Alaska, Texas, California, and other regions of cultural difference their own options on the poll meant sacrificing the rest of the world. I wanted to have UK: England, Wales, UK: Scotland, North Ireland, Europe: Ireland, and several other options available as well but those were all compromises as well. Instead, I had to lump US states in groups of 4-6 and there weren't many choices for AK and HI than OR and WA.

No offense was meant. It was just the best I could do given the circumstances.

Born in Cincinnati, now living in New Orleans after more than a decade in Chicago and Los Angeles respectively.

ISTR it being mentioned in the past but a subsector or quadrant map of North America might be a fun experiment. 1 hour of flight time = 1 parsec?...

I might take a swipe at that...

By the way, I corrected a few postal codes. AZ instead of AX, AK instead of AL (unless you think ALamaba is in the PNW).

Thanks for fixing those typos. Would you also mind changing the Canadian choices from NE and NW to SE and SW respectively. More typos.

I was born and raised in the heart of the western wilderness, Long Beach, California

Moved to SE Idaho at the age of 25.

I had to give my current location but maybe that is good since I plan to retire here next year.

Between my dad's service and mine, home has been in a lot of places along the way.

Born in Philadelphia, PA.
Moved to NYC and then DC and finally Juneau, AK at age 6 where dad retired. Alaska is still my home of record.

When I joined the Army I did a couple loops around the states.
Upstate NY
Columbus, GA
Colorado Springs, CO
Anchorage, AK (yeah, joined the Army to see the world and they send me home instead)
Minneapolis, MN
Fayetteville, NC
Minneapolis (again)
Denver, CO
Leavenworth, KS
Woodbridge, VA
Austin, TX
Carlisle, PA
Fayetteville (again)
Cleveland, OH

and now Tampa, FL

Form "all over?"

Born in Germany, now living in Michigan…

Lots of spots in between…

California – wound up in Central CA and continued moving south and finished up in San Diego – Overall 12 years

Kentucky
Virginia
Texas
Germany
Virginia (again)
Hawaii
Germany (again)
Texas (again)
South Korea
Texas (once more)
Iraq
Texas (one more time)
Colorado
Michigan
Iraq (again?)
Michigan
And then a bunch of travel…
Mississippi
Alabama
Arizona
Maryland….
And finally back in Michigan…

Thanks for fixing those typos. Would you also mind changing the Canadian choices from NE and NW to SE and SW respectively. More typos.

Fix the spelling on Australia. Might want to add New Zealand as well to that entry as traditionally there have been a number of Kiwi's amongst the membership as well.

...And I live in New Jersey, near Trenton.
When I saw that you put Texas, Oklahoma, and California in the same group it was obvious that you were from back east (or England).
Most Californians consider themselves in the Pacific region and don't want to admit that belong in the same country as Texas. The feeling is mutual in most cases.

Oh, I'm a Californian married to a Texan:)

When I saw that you put Texas, Oklahoma, and California in the same group it was obvious that you were from back east (or England).
Most Californians consider themselves in the Pacific region and don't want to admit that belong in the same country as Texas. The feeling is mutual in most cases.

Oh, I'm a Californian married to a Texan:)

Please see this post.

The CotI poll software caps choices at 20. I had to make choices of convenience. I wasn't happy about the choices I made either, but giving Alaska, Texas, California, and other regions of cultural difference their own options on the poll meant sacrificing the rest of the world. I wanted to have UK: England, Wales, UK: Scotland, North Ireland, Europe: Ireland, and several other options available as well but those were all compromises as well. Instead, I had to lump US states in groups of 4-6 and there weren't many choices for AK and HI than OR and WA.

You put Texas in the Southwest, where it is located !

Thank you !

No, it is on the wrong side of the Continental Divide thus in the east so it is part of the south.

Putting Alaska in the PNW is culturally insensitive.
Note: I, personally, am offended by putting Alaska in the PNW.

California is on that list as well, as we all know California is it's own state of mind.

I agree: as the options are limited you had to choose, and I guess you did by geographical choice (and overrepresenting US in this way, as is where most users come from) instead of social or cultural ones.

Otherwise, and without undervaluating the difference among US states, imagine how those put in "Europe: other" (not to talk about the "Rest of the World") option would feel...

Again without undervaluating the differences among US states, let me cast doubt about them to be greater than those about Spain and Poland or Greece (all of them in the "Europe: other" option, and even those are dwarved when compared with those among Japan and Saudi Arabia or South Africa or Brazil (all of them among the "rest of the World" option)...

Eastern Texas might be considered to be part of the South US; however, I grew up in central Texas where there are mesquite trees in one part of the county and oak trees in the eastern part of the county. Prickly pear cactus is all over that area. Western Texas, west of I-35 highway, barely has any trees. Making it much more 'related' to New Mexico.

While I have seen cacti in various places in the South US, cudzu is the prevalent 'wild plant' in the South US. I've never seen cudzu in Texas.

Stockholm, Sweden, so Scandinavia.

There are surprisingly many Scandinavians here, compared to other regions in Europe.

If we are going to nitpick regions, it should probably be the Nordic region. At least I would be more comfortable with Finland in our region, rather than Other. The Nordic region is organised through the Nordic Council.
35px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
31px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png
32px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png
32px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png
35px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
35px-Flag_of_%C3%85land.svg.png
32px-Flag_of_the_Faroe_Islands.svg.png
35px-Flag_of_Greenland.svg.png

285px-Location_Nordic_Council.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Council

I guess you did by geographical choice (and overrepresenting US in this way, as is where most users come from) instead of social or cultural ones.

Yes, for a very good reason: I'm trying to figure out what conventions I should be going to. I am not going to be running games at GenCon because it is far too crazy. I can do a much better of showing off Traveller at smaller local cons. So even though parts of Eastern PA and parts of Western Iowa are similar culturally, finding out how many Traveller gamers there are in greater Philadelphia isn't going to help me figure out if I should go to (or what kind of games to bring) to Gamicon, Iowa's premiere gaming convention.

I am sorry for all those that are offended and feel that their region should have been singled out as being culturally unique. Like I said before, I was doing my best with the software limitations available.

I’d be interested in geomapping visitor traffic to region. I see TravellerMap usage (and can share those numbers) although it turns out to be dominated by iframes from the wiki rather than direct visits.

For the last 30 days:
46% US
23% UK
5% Germany
5% Canada
4% Australia
3% Japan
2% Spain
2% France
And then we’re in the noise.

Back