• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Who calls the Rebellion "the Break"?

The great break is a Zhodani event.
Yes, but my point is that the timeline split is an event that significantly affects the Zhodani. So it seems to me that from a Zhodani perspective that would be a significant event to them.

Or, what if the timeline split was initiated by the Zhodani? What if the Lorenverse was the way things were "supposed" to happen, and they "danced" the assassination change into the timeline by altering one person's choices?

What are the Black Ships, anyways? The wiki doesn't give much.

We don't know much about them (they are mentioned in the Galaxiad-Intro document, Agent of the Imperium, and in the AotI-associated short story, Red Ship). They apparently move through interstellar space at STL / NAFAL speed, are very hostile, and seem to be organic and/or alive.

That is about all we know at this point.

I view the Rebellion as a Games Designer's Workshop device to increase sales of Traveller, and nothing more than that. I have the same view of the Virus and the Wave. That is one reason why I have never really bothered with MegaTraveller and Traveller: The New Era. Traveller 4 I purchased when it first came out, and have spent some time going through looking for ideas and pieces to us. I do have Traveller 5, both in PDF and hardcover. After seeing numerous comments regarding COACC, Close Orbit and Airspace Control Command, I did purchase that and found it interesting.

We don't know much about them (they are mentioned in the Galaxiad-Intro document, Agent of the Imperium, and in the AotI-associated short story, Red Ship). They apparently move through interstellar space at STL / NAFAL speed, are very hostile, and seem to be organic and/or alive.

That is about all we know at this point.
Umm, no we know a lot more than that.
Marc wrote a short story called Names... I highly recommend it.
Our targets, those Black Ships, were some sort of organic structures, their origins
obscure, their motivations equally obscure. This briefing covered their life cycle.

A Black Ship arrived in a system and immediately shed dozens or hundreds of
daughters who scatter to scoot about for generations, or lifetimes, visiting asteroids,
comets, gas giants, and planets harvesting specific minerals and caching them like honey.
In the process, the Black Ships multiply and produce even more caches.
This process continues until the cache quantity reaches some critical value. Then,
following some strange instinct, a carefully-timed sequence sends cache after cache into
the star, disrupting its fusion cycle. In the final stages, the Black Ships swarm at specific
distances from the star, and the last caches are dispatched to trigger a nova stage.
Now a thousand Black Ships swarm, a hundred each at ten distinct distances from the
star, and they ride the outrushing blast, absorbing energy and transitioning into jump. The
closer to the star, the greater the jump.
I shook my head in disbelief. I knew jump could cover a handful of parsecs. High
tech naval ships might do Jump-5, maybe Jump-6. I had seen popular vids talk about
Jump-9, but no one knows how to do that.
This briefing said the swarm farthest out, that absorbing the least energy, would do
Jump- 1 to Jump-9. The next swarm in would do up to 10 squared: 10, 20, 30, 90 parsecs.
Did my mind made the extrapolation, or was it the wafer? Ten distances. If distance 2
was 10 squared, then distance 10 was 10 to tenth. 10, 20, 30, 90 billion parsecs. The edge
of the visible universe is 30 billion parsecs. Some of these Black Ships would, after a
week in jump, be beyond the edge of the visible universe.
I am sure that my own mind constructed the inverse: these swarms conceivably came
from beyond the edge of the universe. I paused that concept as the replay of briefing
continued.
A hundred Black Ships would randomly scatter to a hundred locations within ten
parsecs. Some would arrive in deep space, fail to find resources, and die. Those that
reached other systems would probably take root, and then across many generations,
explode those stars. The briefing estimated that interval at three thousand years.
Another hundred would scatter to locations within a hundred parsecs: theoretically
reaching all of the Spinward Marches, indeed all of the Domain of Deneb.
Yet another hundred would fly up to thousand parsecs. One could reach
Vland, Home, Capital, or Terra.
Some would fly ten thousand parsecs and reach the core of the Galaxy.
It was cold comfort that some would die in intergalactic space. Some would reach
Andromeda. Some would reach beyond.
What is the chance that one of these Black Ships would destroy Terra? Is it any less
of a threat that that potential destruction was three thousand years in the future?

Last edited:
Then, following some strange instinct, a carefully-timed sequence sends cache after cache into the star, disrupting its fusion cycle. In the final stages, the Black Ships swarm at specific distances from the star, and the last caches are dispatched to trigger a nova stage. Now a thousand Black Ships swarm, a hundred each at ten distinct distances from the star, and they ride the outrushing blast, absorbing energy and transitioning into jump. The closer to the star, the greater the jump.
Let me get this straight.

This "nightmare fuel" spacers' rumor posits that it's possible to:
  1. Trigger a "beyond Maghiz" type event (because Tarnis did not go nova), simply by deliberately diving enough tonnage into a star.
  2. "Catch the wave" of the star going NOVA so that craft WITHOUT JUMP DRIVES can randomly scatter at FTL (without being destroyed by the blast) anywhere from 1 to 10,000,000,000 (that's 10 billion!) parsecs away.
I'm detecting certain ... plot holes in engineering ... that go way beyond "magic" there. :poop:

Also, if the Black Ships are living/organic ... how did they evolve/get engineered into this Destroy To Scatter behavior?

The whole thing sounds like a weird crossover attempt to take Star Trek's Doomsday Machine and cross-pollinate the idea with Babylon 5's Shadows somehow, as yet another attempt to impose calamity on an otherwise ordered universe (Empress Wave, Virus, et al.). The downside to this "stomp on the sandcastle" rolling disaster formulation is that IT DELIBERATELY DESTROYS THE STARS (and pretty much everything in orbit around them) and does so in a way that is (by formulation) functionally unstoppable. It's just another wave of destruction, radiating outwards across the entire universe, that no amount of "mop and bucket" can clean up or stop.

It's the story equivalent to a Referee taking their printed books and setting them on fire.

If you're running a Space Horror themed campaign (especially one with a military focus), you can pull this off as a "fight against the scourge" of the Black Ships ... but for anything else, it's just a "give up and go play a different game" type of formulation because it's pretty much the literal definition of a Scorched Earths™ type of calamity that can never be completely stopped. Even if you win a few battles (here and there), you're still ultimately going to lose the war.

Umm, no we know a lot more than that.
Marc wrote a short story called Names... I highly recommend it.

Yes, I had forgotten that one. I think I had conflated it with Red Ship. I'll have to go re-read it, as I seem to have forgotten some significant parts.

Thanks.

It's is MWM's only exposition on the nature of the black ships mentioned in Agent of the Imperium.
Until there is more info coming from him via game material, interview, or new novels then what we have is what we know.

It's part of MWM's Third Imperium setting, so is canon for the OTU.

The events of the short story Names actually occur before the nominal starting date of TI campaigns, 1105. So the threat in this part of the galaxy has been overcome, for now.

The whole thing sounds like a weird crossover attempt to take Star Trek's Doomsday Machine and cross-pollinate the idea with Babylon 5's Shadows somehow, as yet another attempt to impose calamity on an otherwise ordered universe (Empress Wave, Virus, et al.).
The Cyber-Kkree was on the TNE Tshirts before Bab5 released.

The Virus is a tweak of a natural silicon life form. See CT Adv 12 and TNE Survival Margin. Thus any "Vampire Ship" is a living ship... inorganic life. Once the main's converted, it can start tweaking all the smaller processors and eventually turn it into a hive.

Also, given the brain implants in FF&S (which I didn't realize were canon until a couple of Marc's short stories revolved around them), it's just a step away from zombification... and given that Personality Chips are now canon for about IY 400, the vampiure ships can easily violate the circuitry via the paths which enable those. Welcome to Traveller's Borg Collective. The Queen's a Tigris somewhere near Capitol.

Red Ship's been polished since my last read. (I read a late draft, IIRC.)
Zhakirov means it's set nominally between IY 666 and IY 688, but given they're a year out, perhaps even to 670... the Agent Chips go back a LONG way in the modern version of the setting.

And there are some very interesting things Jonathon Bland has done "for the good of the Imperium." Read Agent to find out a few.

The original version of Simcity and most versions after included tornados, earthquakes, fires and even monsters.

Ostensibly to test the resilience of the player cities, I always looked at the feature as satisfying the itch to knock over the legos/sand castle/building blocks.

And that’s how I always looked at these galactic disaster plotlines.

Can’t say it never happened in our planetary history.

Back