• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Would You Buy a Solo Traveller Product? II

Would You Buy a Solo Traveller Product?

• Hell's Yes! Give it to me NOW!!!

Votes: 64 45.1%
  • Yes! I'd buy it, but I am not sure I would ever play it.

Votes: 19 13.4%
  • Hmm, I think so. If it were in the version of Traveller I wanted, if it sounded interesting, etc.

Votes: 42 29.6%
  • I'd consider it. Maybe.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • No thanks. That just doesn't sound like my thing.

Votes: 7 4.9%

• Total voters
Almost 10 years ago, Supplement Four started this poll. Here we go again, asking the same question....

I've noticed that many people interested in Traveller aren't as lucky as some of us to have gaming groups and actually get to play the game. Many, many posters on these Traveller forums only talk about Traveller--hardly ever playing. (Poor saps. :( very sad.) Right now, even, there's a thread discussing Solo Traveller adventures--and it's not the first one on CotI.

Well my wonder is: Would it be a profitable idea for one of the companies publishing Traveller products today to publish adventures aimed at solo play? Would the masses of Traveller lovers out there buy such a beast?

I'm talking about one guy, grabbing his rule book and his new solo adventure, sitting down by himself, and having an excellent Traveller experience without a single other person.

Would that type of thing sell?

Would you buy it?

Let us know. Interested companies want to know.

I do have on my wishlist the Traveller SOLO product, but have yet to make the plunge. I do spend a lot of time making up stuff for my slow game already so pretty sure I'm already solo playing, just not as an adventurer.

So I'm a firm maybe...:)

I'd have to vote in between Hell, yes... and Yes...

I'm pretty far away from the nearest game, and already do a lot of solo "play" by creating characters, systems, worlds, starships...

I just had the thought that solo adventures could help a new referee, or player, who doesn't have a game to go to, to learn Traveller.

I just had the thought that solo adventures could help a new referee, or player, who doesn't have a game to go to, to learn Traveller.

I would agree with your thought. One of the benefits of the published Traveller adventures is showing new referees what thsy should be thinking of when it comes to designing an adventure.

I would agree with your thought. One of the benefits of the published Traveller adventures is showing new referees what thsy should be thinking of when it comes to designing an adventure.

I look at the old publish adventures and take them as negative examples. Read one of the Chamax ones and it was easy to see why gamers went elsewhere for adventure.

I look at the old publish adventures and take them as negative examples. Read one of the Chamax ones and it was easy to see why gamers went elsewhere for adventure.

Interestingly, I know of a referee on the Dragonsfoot d&d forums, who is in a solo adventure with one player, and used a modified version of a Chamax adventure for ad&d first edition, as a place a great evil had dumped a ranger and his party. The Traveller NPCs mistook the NPC elves traveling with the ranger for Darrion.

They did escape the Chamax by starship, rather than magic, but I found it interesting.

The adventure part isn't so bad. The "force the PCs to have made a series of really stupid choices to be coerced into the adventure" is what turned me off.

The adventure part isn't so bad. The "force the PCs to have made a series of really stupid choices to be coerced into the adventure" is what turned me off.

Many of the GDW adventures have significant force to get the players involved, however, many if presented as opportunities could still be quite usable. Few before The Traveller Adventure have railroad tracks running through them, mostly just railroad tracks running to the station from which you depart into adventure land from...

Frank

voted no. the other day tried to generate yet another interesting character that will never see the light of a game, found my mind rebelled, couldn't do it. a solo game seems more of the same. rather write.

Almost 10 years ago, Supplement Four started this poll. Here we go again, asking the same question....

Let us know. Interested companies want to know.

Back in the day Dwafstar Games cut their teeth on Solo Adventures. D&D published their X-series. Task Force had several. And let us not forget the infamous "Choose your own Adventure" books (SJ Games did some Car Wars like similar books...those were so-so).

I'm kind of gamed out these days, but, if I were to buy a solo adventure, then it would probably be for Traveller and not any other system.

I bought the Cepheus Engine solo product based on Traveller. I've not done much with it, though now that my personal life is stabilizing again I might try to get into it more.

Most (almost all?) of what I've done for Traveller was solo work anyways. If I could find an LBB-sized adventure that let me take a character through a scenario, that would be a step upwards!

I just posted a few starting entries on a SOLO mashed with Stars Without Number/SCarlet Heroes (solo play mechanics) in the "Adventurers" section. The SOLO product is excellent and I highly recommend it. Haven't tried the Patrol or Scouts yet and they both look very cool.

But also check out Scarlet Heroes Solo Fantasy by SWN publisher. It has an "Urban Adventure" mechanic that can be ported to any timeline/setting etc. In addition, the Suns of Gold SWN book has great adventure/conflict mechanics for trading.

(I'll be incorporating those soon.)

Actually, I just bought one last week: SOLO from Zozer Games. Haven't had a chance to start playing yet. Wrote a little bit about it in recent CotI blog post; see link at upper right, Read SpaceBadger's Blog. I'm planning to write more about it as I get started.

Back