• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Your Favorite non-GDW Scifi RPG, Part 1

Your Favorite non-GDW Scifi RPG, Part 1

• Total voters
Something else missing from the list (but I suspect it's due to being obscure), has anyone ever heard of a small game called Droids? Had a slightly unusual experience system: you play a modular robot in a post-apocalypse world, abilities are based on what modules you have, after combat you scavenge your defeated opponent for undamaged modules that you graft onto yourself. Was a fun RPG in a beer-n-pretzels sort of way.

Forgotten RPGs of the Past Future

Both Forgotten Futures and Metamorphosis Alpha were left off the list, so there's nothing for me to vote for.

I also would have clicked on Cthulhutech if it were there, but not as firmly. ;)

Dark Heresy was also missing, it's the strong favorite of a friend. I may like it, if I can find it in myself to ignore the kewlio artwork and give it a gander. :D

I have a MetAlph campaign on hiatus, the Walden-style spacecraft turned out to be buried on Mars rather than in space. My Mars is a combination of Weinberg and ERB with some Sundered Reaches thrown in.

Oh, you left off Cyborg Commando as well. 8P

Last edited:
How about TFOS (Teenagers From Outer Space)?
Actually I don't play any on either list, so I didn't vote. Only one I have played is Paronia which is hilarious with the right GM, but the pits otherwise. (Keep a few cleaning robots handy. One with it's cleaning sprayer loaded with black paint, the other with white. The fist one "cleans" the passage way in front of you with black paint so you can go where you want. The second one "cleans" the passage way behind you with white paint to stop everyone except highest clearance NPCs who aren't going to be doing anything to you except send some flunky after you. Said flunky will not have a white clearance and so does not dare cross through the "white" passage to apprehend you.)

Of these, it is too hard...for I tend to canabalize games for my Traveller game...as Alternity fits nicely with my Traveller Universe in parts when I have done work in the Beyond Sector.

Pseodon (Blue Planet) does exist as a Central world in one campaign, I ran (the famous hub & spoke theory).

Fading Suns & Dune perfectly sets the mood my take on the nobility. And,

Space 1889, is just an alternate setting for my Cthulhu 1880s/Strange Aeons games.

Then when I am not playing Traveller but those games proper...Traveller infects them. For instance, my Fading Suns universe does have Scouts rather than Imperial Nobles, Clerics, etc. The Blue Planet game, I ran, scientists were on the brink of discovering the wormhole "switches" effectively making a jump drive which had crossovers with the Farscape/Stargate game material that I would be using. Space 1889 is just another fantastic (ie fantasy) variation on Cthulhu.

Paranoia all the way. With the right GM the game is wonderful, absurd and fun. It does have limits, it's not suitable for a long term campaign and if you get to use the experience system to create a useful character then the GM has messed up. Major pluses, you don't have to wonder if the GM is out to get you (s/he is), you don't have to figure out the way the world works (you'll probably die without figuring out the boss works) and the unforgettable dramatic-tactical combat system.

Gamma World (almost MA) was fun too and should be on the poll. Parts of the Universe system have found their way into my Taveller but I've never actually played it.

Several new games have come about since the posting. You do not have an Other category for things like Eclipse Phase, Rocket Age, Doctor Who or the 40K rpgs

Last edited:
Back