• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

MGT Only: Zero-G roll?

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
In MgT2E+, what do you roll for Zero-G maneuvering if you're not wearing a VACC Suit?

I've been wondering since 1E, which had a Zero-G skill.

IMO, it should be the same with or without a Vacc Suit.
It should be an Athletics check "possibly modified" if the character has a very high (or very low) Dex

The roll should be modified if the player has a vacc suit
.....That may make them more clumsy and thus offer a negative modifier
.....Or may make them more agile, or have a "maneuvering package", and thus offer a negative modifier

My perspective is it should still be zero g, you just don’t have suit thrusters.

Athletics doesn’t train you for counterintuitive action/reaction/using walls and grab bars and tethers to move. Unless the character grew up as a spacer/belter, in which case they probably have zero g skill anyway.

For my simplified CT skill set, I ignore both zero g and battle dress and have vacc suit handle both.

My perspective is it should still be zero g, you just don’t have suit thrusters.

The context is that 1e Mong had a Zero G skill, and 2e dropped it and rolled it into Athletics. Basically consolidating two skills that weren't getting used a lot in some campaigns. They made similar changes at the same time, the biggest one being reducing the number of Gun Combat specializations.

At a meta-game level I'm okay with it. Applying simulationism to the point that some skills get rolled every session and others once or twice in a campaign if ever is misguided. If I were running some kind of Belter campaign where I expected ØG to come up a lot I might roll it back to the 1e version though.

IMO, it should be the same with or without a Vacc Suit.

It is though. (Possibly excepting penalties for wearing a bulky vac suit unskilled.) I think you got too hung up on Spinward's phrasing.

Just as a bit of history, zero-g combat is a CT skill. It smacks of skillflation, but at the same time maneuvering in zero g is a different skill set.

I was reacting more to the doubling down as Athletics for all. I don’t see the critique re the OP question, he was asking for what roll if in zero g but out of the suit. Straightforward.

Back