• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

3d printable Traveller Ship Designs

Yea, see I can't speak to the big ring thing, but I'd like to think that the scout and far trader aren't any $70 to print.

And I wasn't suggesting you can get a printer to $70 (maybe you can, I hope it's clear I know ][ much about 3D printing). But start printing 2, 3, 4 of them, and you're, as I understand it, starting to get in the ball park.
the Scout & trader were something like $20 each, the lab ship (type L) I picked the cheapest at $40, and not really happy with it. but it will do.

Shapeways does have a number of selections for material and all that which in turn affect resolution and price. Better resolution/material = more expensive.

Why would one print cost more than another? Wouldn't the defining characteristic be, essentially, the amount of material in a print (and the type, of course)?

$70-$100 a print gets you very quickly in to home printer range.
Type/method, resolution, infill rates...

There are several different 3d printing techniques...
  • Thermal Extrusion printing. Usually plastics, but can also be wax or low temperature metals (lead).
  • chemical extrusion printing.
    • (epoxy printers: VERY rare. the only one I've seen was in a dentist's office.)
    • Concrete &/or cement printers - usually quite large, and 6-7 figure pricetags. They print buildings full size.
  • glue & powder - an inkjet printer printing glue into a fine powder. After each layer, more powder is laid across.
  • laser sintering - use a laser to melt plastic or metal powders. Just like the glue & powder, it's bond a layer, then add more powder, then bond the next...
  • welder sintering - literally a welding setup on an oversized printhead. Being used in Aerospace currently; Relativity Aerospace, IIRC. SpaceX also has 3d printed using welder sintering parts and engines. The Superdraco was a fully 3d-printed.
  • friction-welded metal printing - last I checked, it's not in commercial use. Pretty much a variation on welder sintering, since friction welding has been used in naval construction since the late 19th C.
  • laser thermoset resin - use a laser to heat a resin resulting in chemical changes which result in polymerization as it cools
  • resistance thermoset resins - instead of a laser, use a resistor array plate to trigger thermoset resin.
  • resin laser optical-set- the bed starts near surface, and a laser triggers the state change. Usually UV-set resins
  • LCD optical-set resin printers - an LCD display is used to block a UV source, exposing where material is desired; whole layer at a time. Faster, safer, but lower resolution, than UV laser.
  • interlocking component - to date, I've seen one as a building printer on one of the home improvement shows, and one guy's homemade lego assembly robot.
That's before we add the subtractive manufacture and hybrids. (Note also: almost all 3d printing escapades will require some subtractive work... to remove the supports and plate attachment.)

Glue and powder machines do color prints in many cases. But think about the cost of inkjet carts, and realize that the early ones used HP ink as their glue. Fragile, too.

It's worth reiterating: Two forms of 3d printer print BUILDINGS. Not models of buildings, but the buildings themselves. Metal welding based printers print rocket engines and rocket fuel tanks.

I did a model of a ship I had made years and years ago
it ended up being about a meter long in 6mm scale ( 1/285)
I also made a 1/2400 scale print of it; a pain in the ass with a 400 micron nozzle

I put it up on thingiverse with my historical 6mm models
(mostly tanks and planes)

it is a little rough around the edges, so it is a 'use at own risk' sort of thing

IMG_0847.JPG

Below is the Serpent Scout (printed from the file linked up-thread) my Element class design is at the far back

412860141_10232732677798728_1418027052308529953_n.jpg

Nice Patrol Cruisers. Look like the model was based on the cover illustration of FASA's ACS Vol. II, not the deck plans from there or the later designs.

I am happy to announce that I have completed work on the 3d-printables for EMPRESS MARAVA and ASLAN SCOUTSHIP

The Empress comes in four parts allowing for transparent printing of the Bridge and Cabin windows.

1710019642817.png

And the Aslan Scoutship https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6523864
1710019762719.png

Mayday Fleet.... LEVIATHAN, The Ninz Class Zhodani Scout and the Frontiersman stretched scout

Ninz front sml.jpgLeviathan image sml.pngfrontiersman.jpg

Back