• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

AHL/Striker T2K

SgtHulka

SOC-12
Has anyone tried to do Azhanti High Lightning and Striker conversions for T2K? If so, would anyone beside me be interested in this sort of thing? Or do you generally prefer the original T2K combat system?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SgtHulka:
Has anyone tried to do Azhanti High Lightning and Striker conversions for T2K? If so, would anyone beside me be interested in this sort of thing? Or do you generally prefer the original T2K combat system?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like an awfull lot of work for too little gain.

------------------
I am increasingly of the opinion that RPGs are by the nature of their creation subjective phenomenon. due to the interaction between game designers, game masters, and game players all definitions, rules, settings, and adventures are mutable in acordance with the uncertainty principle as expounded by Heisenburg. This is of course merely my point of view.

David Shayne

1st Edition T2000 combat rules were pretty good (once you got used the the three-round burst rule). Unless you want to give your T2000 characters FGMP-14s I don't see the po...

Oh.

Figure a TL6 assault rifle is the same as a M16, a TL7 AT missile is a TOW, and extrapolate.
Sounds like fun. I think I know where Striker is, but I haven't seen my T2000 rules since two moves ago.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Bob (edited 21 April 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Uncle Bob:

Figure a TL6 assault rifle is the same as a M16, a TL7 AT missile is a TOW, and extrapolate.
Sounds like fun. I think I know where Striker is, but I haven't seen my T2000 rules since two moves ago.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Bob (edited 21 April 2002).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if you use the Striker stats you figure NATO assault rifles to be the 5.5mm Tech 7 rifle, and the WARSAW assault rifles to be the 7mm Tech 7 one. Since Traveller is extrapolated from late 70's, early-80's miltech, I don't think you'd have to do much backward extrapolating. You should be able to pretty much use the charts as-is. Unless you're a serious ironmonger and want to model the difference between a Smith and Wesson and a Glock.

To my mind the most effort would be converting the vehicles (building an M1 Tank or a LAV using tech level 7 Striker).

Anyway, the only reason I thought about it is I've got the 2.2 version, the rules of which I pretty much don't like. But it's got a lot of game maps that are already conveniently scaled on 1/2 inch squares...perfect for Azhanti High Lightning (well, not quite perfect...2 meters instead of 1.5 meters, but close enough). I've also always been intrigued by the T2K universe as an excuse for a skirmish-level contemporary miniatures game.

I was interested enough to look into 15mm contemporary miniatures, and, unfortunately, the closest I could find were Peter Pig Vietnam figures.

To my mind the most effort would be converting the vehicles (building an M1 Tank or a LAV using tech level 7 Striker).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was the big stumbling block to my mind as well. The easiest way would probably be to reverse engineer through T2K2 and FFS1 to arrive at actual armor thickneses and then apply the Striker formula for the armor rating. Weapon ratings would need to be fudged but that shouldn't be too dificult once you have an idea of what the armor values are.

------------------
I am increasingly of the opinion that RPGs are by the nature of their creation subjective phenomenon. due to the interaction between game designers, game masters, and game players all definitions, rules, settings, and adventures are mutable in acordance with the uncertainty principle as expounded by Heisenburg. This is of course merely my point of view.

David Shayne

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaveShayne:
That was the big stumbling block to my mind as well. The easiest way would probably be to reverse engineer through T2K2 and FFS1 to arrive at actual armor thickneses and then apply the Striker formula for the armor rating. Weapon ratings would need to be fudged but that shouldn't be too dificult once you have an idea of what the armor values are.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that's certainly the scientific method of doing it. I would have fudged it a lot more, just using the vehicle cards as a guide and building all of the vehicles straight from Striker. But you're right in that version 2.2 is supposedly completely compatible with The New Era, and it even says in the introduction that T2K can be used as ready-made Tech Level 7 Traveller vehicles.

Well that's certainly the scientific method of doing it. I would have fudged it a lot more, just using the vehicle cards as a guide and building all of the vehicles straight from Striker.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which seems like a lot of unnecesary effort to me. The only thing that differs between the games is the penetration/damage/armor ratings. So I see no need to go through the full design process. If you wan't to of course I won't stop you though I think you'll find a lot of the Striker equivalents will differ quite a bit from their RL counterparts.

YMMV

------------------

David Shayne

Back