• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

An Appendix N for Twilight: 2000

I recently sourced, from members of Reddit and Facebook Twilight 2000 groups, a “Twilight 2000 Appendix N” (after Appendix N of the original AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide "Inspirational and Educational Reading"), to help me read my way into the new edition of the game.

Although I’ve not been totally consistent with my choices, I’ve tried to focus on: material about post-war milieu rather than reasons for the war or the war itself: good ratings or reviews on Goodreads (4+), IMDB (7+) or Metacritic (Green); trying to steer clear of zombies, other planets, or anything written from a particularly far-right libertarian view point.

This is how the list stands at present. Any other suggestions?

Books

2034: A Novel of the Next World War Elliot Ackerman and James G. Stavridis
The Guardians Richard Austin
Alas Babylon Pat Frank
Metro 2033 Dmitry Glukhovsky
Red Metal Mark Greaney
Arc Light Eric L Harry
Iron Angel” & “The Benefactors” Don Hawthorne in There Will Be War vol 7 (Call To Battle!) And vol 8 (Armageddon) ed Jerry Pournelle
The Last Centurion John Ringo

Non-fiction

Preview of the War We Do Not Want (Collier’s Weekly 27/10/51 special issue)
Raven Rock Garrett Graff
The Day After World War III Ed Zuckerman

Films/TV

The Day After (film ABC 1983)
Threads (film, BBC 1984)
The War Game (documentary, BBC 1965)

I've now bought all the films on the list, and watched one of them. The War Game is a relevant, harrowing and brilliantly done BBC docudrama, so much so, it was pulled from the TV schedule and not shown for 20 years (just before the first screening of "Threads"). Looking foward to watching 1980s UK "Threads" (written by Barry Hines, of the novel "Kes" fame) and its US contemporary "The Day After" back to back next. The advice from those who watched both, is to watch the US film first, as a supporting feature to the far more harrowing UK film.

Also bought and read the two Don Hawthorne stories. Set in the aftermath of a limited nuclear exchange followed by the release of a “gas bug” by the dastardly, and somewhat cartoony, KGB which has deactivated almost the whole world’s stock of oil-based fuels, the stories themselves are about a group of Soviet Army engineers deserters with a US Army intelligence officer escaping Russia on a steam train in the closing phases of a third world war - an apocalyptic "Von Ryan's Express" if you like. Not bad (the latter story is better written), suits the brief as background reading for Twilight: 2000, and it’s a shame Hawthorne didn’t write any more of them (they’re still in Russia at the end of the second story).

Back