• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Armor and Weapons As Mustering Out Benefits

CaptRet

SOC-12
What armor and weapons do you allow for mustering-out benefits ? Other than the more mundane (e.g. snub pistol, SMG, blade, flak vests, ballistic cloth clothing, etc.) do you allow military/naval service characters to exit with Gauss weaponry ? Combat Armor? Battle Dress ? My view is that certain items would be restricted (such as the PGMP and FGMP and Battle Dress), usable only by the State's military/naval forces and possibly available to sanctioned mercenary organizations. I don't see the Imperial Marines allowing a mustering-out character to take his/her suit of Battle Dress with him/her. Likewise, I think much of the "state of the art" weaponry (and any heavy weapons) and armor would have to be left in the armory. I think that what the character would be allowed to leave with would be personal weapons, and "military surplus" (i.e.obsolete to force's TL) armor and weapons. Accordingly, if a character from the TL-15 Imperial Marines or Army takes Combat Armor, it might be TL 11 or 12 (not the standard issue TL-14). (I'm torn regarding gauss weapons though.) And for lower tech forces, such as a planetary army/wet navy etc., s/he probably wouldn't be allowed to leave with higher tech weapons (higher tech lasers, gauss weapons, maybe not even the ACR) which would be "cutting edge" for that force. Thoughts ?

No armor at all, as that would make it difficult for civilian law enforcement agencies to deal with the individual. I do not allow personal energy weapons in my universe, so that issue is moot, but I would not allow those either, for the same reason. As for other weapons, nothing aside from standard projectile weapons. No gauss rifles or Advanced Combat Rifles either are permitted. Basically, what is in the Traveller Book and LBBs.

I was in the British Army - they didn't give me the option of keeping my SLR, let alone the sterling smg and the browning 9mm they also trained me to use.

I limit mustering out weapon benefits to LBB1 stuff only.

I think it should be VERY milieu and situational driven.

For example, if you are mustering out from something like Pirates or Mercs, it would be reasonable to have something higher end, definitely not PGMP/FGMPs but maybe a lower end laser or rifle TL back 1-2, or a RAM GL. Tools of the trade as much as any repair kit/doctor instruments muster out.
If it's a libertarian or warrior honor society, probably something in the same ballpark.
Marine, Navy and Merchant, gauss/snub/laser pistols, accelerator weaponry, etc. and other ship security whatever would be appropriate.

A milieu where the service people are more like Swiss reserves would reasonably have military weaponry, but they would be limited to service functions and using them for 'personal business/defense' in any way would likely result in court martial and/or dismissal.

Probably the easiest thing to do is base available weaponry on the civilian LL of the government they were in the service of. Pirates, Rogues, criminals probably operate on LL0-1, Imperial space and most starports/star forces at LL-2, LL of the planet they served/mostly operate from, LL3 for Hunters and other interstellar civilian careers.

Depends.

While I don't see any military giving away body armour, getting it from your friendly neighbourhood quartermaster, or declaring it destroyed and lost on a mission, and then caching it, seems a possibility.

However, there is a local tradition of demilitarizing used assault rifles and selling them to ex trained organized militia, since they expect a new generation of sidearms with presumably improved performance.

You could be looking at a forty year old gauss rifle, castrated to semi automatic.

No armor at all, as that would make it difficult for civilian law enforcement agencies to deal with the individual. I do not allow personal energy weapons in my universe, so that issue is moot, but I would not allow those either, for the same reason. As for other weapons, nothing aside from standard projectile weapons. No gauss rifles or Advanced Combat Rifles either are permitted. Basically, what is in the Traveller Book and LBBs.

I'm on this page too. You might have a plasma gun or something, but you go toting in public and you PDQ get the attention of the authorities. Same goes for full combat-style armor.
Now, you have a need for such heavy personal artillery and protection for some specific purpose? Fine, use it for that purpose and put the toys back in the box when done.
For most scenarios, hand guns of various sorts, edged weapons, a shotgun, or maybe the occasional long arm will fly along with body armor that isn't obvious will do more often than not.

Every game and scenario doesn't have to, and shouldn't, be military grade combat at least in my version of things.

Dunno why a Gauss rifle would stand out from any other slug thrower.

Sure, it's can be automatic, but as someone else mentioned, maybe they can be downgraded to semi-automatic. But, there's other automatic weapons that were on the list.

What we don't mention is we don't know what kind of maintenance a GR requires. It has a lot of moving parts, and is a powered rifle (I think it take power from the magazines, which i guess have some sort of battery component).

Normally, rifles, when basically kept out of the weather, are effectively immortal.

Does modern fiberglass or synthetic stock hold up after 50 years if kept in reasonable humidity an temperature? Or do they break down? I haven't heard much either way.

But, beyond that, bunch of metal bits that need just a little bit of oil to remain functional for 100 years.

A GR, however...maybe not. Filled with electronics, move parts (gyro stabilized), etc. 50 years later, who knows what state they're in. Is a 50 year old magazine still usable? Will it still hold a charge? That's 50 years of idle chemistry there.

I have (had) an old iPhone 3GS. Put it on the shelf when I upgraded. After a couple years, it had effectively bloated and ruptured. I assume it was the battery. Nothing leaked, but it was ruined. This was kept inside the house.

Even with military electronics, there's likely no need for a 50 year shelf life on it.

Meanwhile, Granpa's Krag will shoot like day one, if you can find ammo for it, after a day of TLC with some 3-in-1 oil. As worst, you may get a bad spring.

The Mongoose Core rulebook allows for armor as a mustering out benefit for Army and Marine characters, hence my initial question. I certainly take the point that a character can't go walking down Main Street in most advanced metropolises while wearing Combat Armor and not expect to "be pulled over" by local enforcement. However, a character signing aboard/owning shares in a Free Trader who owns such armor (and normally keeps it boxed in his quarters, or in the Ship's Locker) would be highly useful in repelling pirates (or boarding other ships), undertaking missions where some gunplay might be anticipated (e.g. rescue operations), exploration missions in frontier areas, not to mention a bit of mercenary service. I wouldn't see it as "everyday wear" (cloth is more acceptable, socially), but it is hard to come by in most circumstances and this gives the character an opportunity to put it by for a rainy day (and purchasing more civilian-like garb.

I think it should be VERY milieu and situational driven.

For example, if you are mustering out from something like Pirates or Mercs, it would be reasonable to have something higher end, definitely not PGMP/FGMPs but maybe a lower end laser or rifle TL back 1-2, or a RAM GL. Tools of the trade as much as any repair kit/doctor instruments muster out.
If it's a libertarian or warrior honor society, probably something in the same ballpark.
Marine, Navy and Merchant, gauss/snub/laser pistols, accelerator weaponry, etc. and other ship security whatever would be appropriate.

A milieu where the service people are more like Swiss reserves would reasonably have military weaponry, but they would be limited to service functions and using them for 'personal business/defense' in any way would likely result in court martial and/or dismissal.

Probably the easiest thing to do is base available weaponry on the civilian LL of the government they were in the service of. Pirates, Rogues, criminals probably operate on LL0-1, Imperial space and most starports/star forces at LL-2, LL of the planet they served/mostly operate from, LL3 for Hunters and other interstellar civilian careers.

Agreed. If your interstellar government is closer to the 20th-21st century model of Western governments, then LBB1-Only is fitting - maybe the weapon was personally owned and retained, or purchased with mustering out funds. If your milieu has an interstellar government more closely resembling 19th century or earlier Western governments, then retaining military equipment on mustering out would be more in scope.

I generally let players have whatever they can imagine, but consider that a bunch of weapons are going to very difficult to get through customs on a lot of worlds (Read Roleplaying opportunities). Then couple that to the cost and availability of parts for maintenance and repair. Note advanced ammunition also falls into those categories as well.

Also note I tend to keep my games at a Knife and Pistol level of conflict, Where Shotguns and SMGs are the heavy weapons. Over the years some variation of Snub Pistols have been the most common weapons.

One benefit is that you don't have to locally source the equipment, possibly at inflated prices, from shady brokers, in regions where procurement is at best in a legally gray area.

Never really saw the concern, but we’ve always played in Outland/Firefly type campaigns where rifles, pistols and knives were to be expected. But the heavier stuff we always steered away from, even for Army and Marine characters. Kept it special when every once in a while a VRF Gauss gun or a PGMP was in play.

I limit mustering out weapon benefits to LBB1 stuff only.

So you would not allow a Snub Pistol (IIRC it's a LBB4 weapon)?

I see it as one of the most used weapons by space crews (even comercial ones), due to its zero-G use and tranquilizers capacity...

I donno.

I'm beginning to doubt it's efficacy.

In game mechanic effects, it's slightly less effective than a Survivalist round, basically a twenty two long rifle, and apparently, our laws of war outlaw high explosive smallarms ammunition.

Honestly, I never really worried about it that much, kept the PGMPs and the FGMP's off limits, but didn't worry about much else.

D.

So you would not allow a Snub Pistol (IIRC it's a LBB4 weapon)?
Nope, if they want one they will have to buy one, and then only tranq rounds are available for civilian use. A normal revolver can be modified to fire snub tranq rounds easily enough IMTU.
I have recently adopted the Chiappa Rhino as the go to illustration for the revolver/snub pistol IMTU.

I see it as one of the most used weapons by space crews (even comercial ones), due to its zero-G use and tranquilizers capacity...
The HE and HEAP are more likely to damage ship equipment than a revolver round, and how many merchant ship crews bother with zero g combat training for that matter.

The HE and HEAP are more likely to damage ship equipment than a revolver round, and how many merchant ship crews bother with zero g combat training for that matter.

Probably the same ones that bother about having weapons, as altering gravity is as much an anti-hijack toos as weapons may be...

I suppose (depending on the ruleset you are using) the Gauss Rifle might have better armor penetration that an Assault Rifle or ACR.

30.06 is around 4,100 Joules. GR run about 4,500. Could modern Level III armor with ceramic inserts stop a GR? Dunno. Not sure it can stop an 30.06, honestly. More designed to thwart assault rifles.

Back