• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Best Virtual Tabletop for Traveller?

kaladorn

SOC-14 1K
I used to use GRIP iPC master and client licenses to play Traveller. I owned 5 client and one master license. It supported the rolling, maps, and had (IIRC) fog of war support. It wasn't loaded up with complex data models for characters and rulesets. It did what I needed.

Now, many years later, I'm looking at trying online PnP Traveller with the aide of a Virtual Tabletop (VTT).

I have looked at Fantasy Grounds, Map Tool (and its associated tools), Roll20, EpicTable, D20Pro, Skirmish VT, and GM Forge (the latter on Steam). They all seem to have some nice features.

My 'things to avoid' are: Expensive subscription fees for me or my players (and yes $7-15/mo is a deal breaker), expensive support for integration of characters or rules ($25-30 is too much), and I don't want something that isn't somewhat adaptable.

I tend to run 'non-standard' games (in D&D, Traveller, you name it) so there are often non-standard attributes, combat rules, sometimes extra skills or changed skills, etc. For me, the VTTs that have heavy integration tend to lock down an understanding of charactes and rules (to get automation) and thus they don't work well for me.

My needs in a VTT:

1. Die rolling support:Ideally ones where I can write some macros that I and players can use to get something like "Bob rolls 8 (2D6) + 2 (Laser Weapons) = 10". I have no issues writing macros or scripts as long as I don't need to compile binaries to get this sort of result.

2. Map display: The ability to load a map, superimpose a grid, move around the grid, and have Fog of War (players only seeing what the GM says their characters can see). It need not have walls/door definitions or lighting as long as I, as GM, can reasonably easily paint/clear map regions then serve the result to the players.

3. Chat that lets me and players communicate with the group and separate channel for GM to single player. I'd like the chats to be saved.

4. The ability for the GM to manage the movement of characters on the map (some wiseacre is always going to screw around...) if needed. That definitely needs to be there if the VTT lets player movements automatically reveal things on the map. If they can move but that movement won't reveal anything until I authorize it, that could still work.

Bonuses:

- Something to help keep track of initiative values. (Not a necessity)
- Good quality built in voice chat would let me not use Skype in the background. (Not a necessity)
- An ability to define a character sheet or upload an image of one that can be referenced through the tool. It need not have a backing data model, just the ability to look at a file and see stats/skills/gear/etc. (Not a necessity)
- If it had easy definition of walls, doors, light sources of different shapes on the map to make fog of war handier, that would be handy.

So, anyone have a particular VTT to argue for? I'm glad to hear arguments.

What do you use?

Roll20 is your best bet as the free level has macro capabilities.

In addition paid level only has to be done by the person hosting the game i.e. you. And will grant access to customized character sheets. Which uses HTML5 and Roll20's scripting to make any type of character sheet you want.

I bought Epic Table 1.3, and it has those abilities. Its not game specific.

The built-in dice roller can be set up to roll just about any dice combo, and adds to the total roll.

Has fog of war, and a chat system. The GM can talk to one player, or all players.

ET 2.0 is in the works. He is redoing the menu structure and interface. The author is on Facebook and Youtube. He also has a web site.

Pay one fee, players access it for free.

Thanks. I liked the look of both Epic Table and Roll20. Thank you for sharing some insights.

If you had anything you didn't like about your chosen platform, what would the number 1 thing be you'd want to be different or added if it is missing?

I didn't like the 'have to browse looking for tokens and maps' routine.

But.

1) it goes to the last folder you use.

2) in version 2 videos he talks about adding a settings menu so you can tell ET which folders to go to for what.

And there is an auto-resize thing he is working on. I saw it in a preview video last year. It tells you, upon import, if the map, character token ,etc. is the wrong size and will adjust it upon selecting something I don't remember off hand.

He chose a photo graphic deliberately too large, and the program made it small enough to be used. So its scale would work with the tokens, etc.

That sounds good.

I like the idea of pay once (vs. subscription) only because I've had companies/software sources go belly up and leave my formerly functioning software non-functioning because of the absence of license servers (my one potential issue with Roll20).

OTOH, turns out I have a paying friend who owns ROLL20 and he can configure me as a GM and let me try it out on his dime for a while. That has the advantage of costing $0 in the short run.

I think I'll do that in the short run and keep an eye for when EpicTable 2.0 is ready to be released.

Thanks again for the input.

Roll20's audio/video is buggy and unreliable. When I've run games on it, I use Skype or some other A/V platform.

Roll20's audio/video is buggy and unreliable. When I've run games on it, I use Skype or some other A/V platform.

A friend using Roll20 told me they use Discord or Skype for the audio chat and in case there are any issues with Roll20 (always a good idea to have two comms channels in case one gets glitchy).

Appreciate the information and even better that it matches up with what I got from another friend last night.

Thanks. I liked the look of both Epic Table and Roll20. Thank you for sharing some insights.

If you had anything you didn't like about your chosen platform, what would the number 1 thing be you'd want to be different or added if it is missing?

In general Roll20 does what I want. I would like it to remember the setting I use for my maps so I don't have to keep toggling settings. And it would be nice to have a standard import and export for characters when sheets are being used.

As for the video/voice chat issues; (shrug). They are primarily a VTT company, it would be hard to match Skype or Discord which are dedicated to voice/video over the internet. Anyway it easy enough to turn off Roll's voice/video.

That sounds good.

I like the idea of pay once (vs. subscription) only because I've had companies/software sources go belly up and leave my formerly functioning software non-functioning because of the absence of license servers (my one potential issue with Roll20).

OTOH, turns out I have a paying friend who owns ROLL20 and he can configure me as a GM and let me try it out on his dime for a while. That has the advantage of costing $0 in the short run.

I think I'll do that in the short run and keep an eye for when EpicTable 2.0 is ready to be released.

Thanks again for the input.

You can download and install Epic Table and run it as DM for 30 days, then it goes into player mode. Buy the license, put in the key from email, and it stays in DM mode.

Back